Trevor Gleadhill

Building a new house

So we are about to cut ground on building a new home here in TX. I've owned three homes but never built one from the ground up. I've already addressed the garage so I can fit my boat and the mater bath to make it twice as big as it was designed. My question is what ideas do folks have. Either from experiences; e.g. I built mine and wish I would have ____________! Or If I built one I would add/put in/not install ___________!

All ideas are welcome; structural, electrical, cosmetic, whatever...

Thanks

T

DarksideR    1,679

Pre wire for surround sound and all.

Other than that, I got nuthin.

Except making a posh guest room for out of town Crew members! :innocent:

Pre wire for surround sound and all.

Other than that, I got nuthin.

Except making a posh guest room for out of town Crew members! :innocent:

Pre-wiring 7.1 surrond sound!

Will have a guest room and 10 mins from driveway to being in the water. Crew welcome!

T

DarksideR    1,679

Pre-wiring 7.1 surrond sound!

Will have a guest room and 10 mins from driveway to being in the water. Crew welcome!

T

When's the house ready? LOL.

Congrats BTW! I would love to have a place built!

A friend of ours built one, and one thing that sticks in my head that I hadn't seen before was, they had this little vent at the bottom of a floor cabinet in the kitchen. It was hooked up to the central vac system so you could flip it open with your foot and sweep debris and what not into it and it's gone. No dustpan, no bending over... whoever does the cleaning will love it.

Bigcatpt    408

Dude... Garage, garage, garage. And then make sure you get the garage right!!! Extra big, Extra long, Extra wide, and Extra big doors! And heat it... and insulate the crap out of it! Make the door tall enough that you NEVER have to lower the tower and its EASY to back in and out. And no cars close to ding the side, and no bike handlebars to pinstripe the boat. And tons of wall space to organize your boating gear! And way too many outlets that are all located waist high. And PLENTY of lighting both in the garage and on the outside for working on projects in the driveway.

Ok that takes care of important things. Next is the master shower. Double size it and then put dual shower heads on opposite walls each with its own temperature control. And then a "do-me" bench on one side.

Pre-wire for everything you can think of. Extra outlets, tons of lighting, outside accent lighting, outside spot lighting, inside sound system, outside sound system, security cameras inside and outside.

A good place for the gun safe... maybe even built into a wall and hidden.

Plenty of pantry space in the kitchen

Food storage room apart from kitchen

Thats all I can think of right now. Hope your marriage survives the building! :thumbsup:

h20king    794

Big covered the garage for the most part but I would add this have a garage attached to the house and one detached just for you and your toys with a half bath .If possible have a door put at each end so it is a pull through.And one more thing I would add is a basement not sure if they build with them in Texas but we love ours adds tons of extra space to the house...............H

Dude... Garage, garage, garage. And then make sure you get the garage right!!! Extra big, Extra long, Extra wide, and Extra big doors! And heat it... and insulate the crap out of it! Make the door tall enough that you NEVER have to lower the tower and its EASY to back in and out. And no cars close to ding the side, and no bike handlebars to pinstripe the boat. And tons of wall space to organize your boating gear! And way too many outlets that are all located waist high. And PLENTY of lighting both in the garage and on the outside for working on projects in the driveway.

So all good points; I like the lighting comments. I am building in a community (golf community) so there are some restrictions as opposed to building in the country. I pressed really really hard to get a door tall enough so I would not have to put the tower down. Unfortunately I can only get a 9 foot door. I will have 1000 sq ft of garage however. My boat bay is over 27 ft long (long enough to accommodate my boat without taking off the swim deck or the collapse the tongue and 16 wide I think. While not perfect because the tower will have to come down, it is pretty close considering the location.

Ok that takes care of important things. Next is the master shower. Double size it and then put dual shower heads on opposite walls each with its own temperature control. And then a "do-me" bench on one side.

I did just this. I actually had them redraw the entire maser bath because it was too small to start. Master shower is a walk in, cave style with dual heads and separate controls. The do-me bench was a must for Sue but she called it something different...something about shaving her legs. Whatever, details.

Pre-wire for everything you can think of. Extra outlets, tons of lighting, outside accent lighting, outside spot lighting, inside sound system, outside sound system, security cameras inside and outside.

A good place for the gun safe... maybe even built into a wall and hidden.

Plenty of pantry space in the kitchen

Food storage room apart from kitchen

Thats all I can think of right now. Hope your marriage survives the building! :thumbsup:

Good stuff.

T

Edited by Trevor Gleadhill

Big covered the garage for the most part but I would add this have a garage attached to the house and one detached just for you and your toys with a half bath .If possible have a door put at each end so it is a pull through.And one more thing I would add is a basement not sure if they build with them in Texas but we love ours adds tons of extra space to the house...............H

A separate pass through garage would be so awesome. But I am limited by lot size. I will end up with 2, 2 car bay garages but one of the two will be pulled to an interior dimension of 27 ft and have a 9x16 ft door it is also a straight line back from the street. Never thought about the basement idea. In fact, I am not sure I've seen a basement here in TX.

T

LakeSurfer    10

So the garage/kitchen/bathroom has been covered, but other things I would think of all are around a pool in the back yard (even if it will be a while before it goes in)

1. have gas and electricity run to wherever you would put pool equipment

2. have gas and electricity run to wherever you would put outdoor grill/fireplace, etc

3. pre wire (sound and cable) outside for stereo/tv

4. door from master bedroom to out door deck (this way in the winter you can get in the spa without going through the entire house)

5. bathroom accessible from outside (or as close as possible) so you dont have wet people going through the house

Others

1. 2nd bedroom downstairs

2. laundry room big enough for washer/dry/sink/2nd refrigerator

David    0

Check the Garage ceiling height to make sure you can put the tower up once inside.

Auldman    0

Couple little details that make a huge difference IMO...Put the laundry room close to the bedrooms. If it is going to be a 2-story then on the second floor. Never understood why the laundry room always seems to be next to the kitchen instead of near the bedrooms where the laundry is generated. In the kitchen - if you are going to have any sort of island - add a second "bar" sink with a second garbage disposal. Did this in a kitchen that I built for my last house. Great for cleanup etc. One person is doing the dishes and another is scraping plates. Also, a pot fill at the stove. This is a faucet on the back wall above the stove that allows you to fill the pots with water on the stove instead of filling @ the sink and moving. One more....prewire the deck\roofline for Xmas lights! Radiant floor heat instead of traditional....makes stone floors awesome! Ethernet connections behind TV's and anyplace you would normally put phone jacks as they will double as phone or internets along with centralized wiring. Have we already overspent your budget by 200%? :cheers:

Wiggles    2

the one thing my buddy just did in his place was make a shower with a sealable door, and they had a steamer installed. He said it is one of the best things he installed in there house!!!

Edited by Wiggles

Put a few electrical outlets in the ceiling. Lots of lights in the ceiling too. Add a couple of drains in the floor for water leakage. Use a tankless water heater. Prewire for hot tub!!! Gas lines to the back deck! Prewire for alarms system, Cat 5, central vac, water filter system, run a water line to the garage for he extra fridge for cold beer storage, ice maker, etc.

Might sound crazy, but a ceiling fan in the garage over the boat to help dry it out or drop down squirrel fans.

As for the house, contact JaxCenturion on here for your cabinets!

Something we have in our bedroom is a sitting area with a 2 sided gas fireplace. One side where the jetted tub it and the other side where the sitting area is. Makes it nice in the winter, plus the wife likes to turn it on when she is soaking. Under the floor heat for the bathroom especailly if you have tile!!! A must during the winter time.

Get the largest Seer HVAC that you can!!!! And look into the electric filters for them.

If you are going with Bamboo, get the woven bamboo. It will not scratch or dent no matter what you drop on it! Wife dropped the hammer and it did nothing!

If you are going to hang your TV over the fireplace, have them put in extra studs for the wall mount and pre wire with HDMI's, Cable, Cat 5, etc.

Run speaker wire to the back deck!

What ever size the drive way is, make it 2 feet wider!

That is all I can think of right now.

srhoffman    0

I wished we had a more formal sitting area in our MBR...and the master closet should have functional shelving to start...not the garbage builder grade wire crap.

I saw some other folks mention wiring...aside from the TV you will no doubt hang over the fireplace (with cable, HDMI, power and ethernet right there) plan on adding multiple cable/phone/internet jacks to each room...I wish I had pictured every wall I "might" put the tv on instead of the one I was sure I would...had to make small cuts in the carpet to go under to get cable to the wall between door and closet because I only put one jack on the other side of the room...just a pain. If it's multi story with crawl space have a "home run" tube installed (pvc pipe between stories to fish wire after the fact (only for low voltage stuff)

For your main areas do two cable jacks...if you have cable TV now you only need one connection for HD DVR, but if you're directv I understand they need two to be able to DVR and watch something else at the same time (confirmed with DirecTV in the last 3 months so *might* have changed) so I've been tied to Time Warner because of this.

Your driveway should be wider then you think you need...drives me crazy that both our SUV's fit in the driveway but I have to park on the left because I have to walk in the grass to get in the drivers seat (gets wet grass on my shoes, but the wife won't park there because her toes get wet).

Don't skimp on the kitchen now...I thought it would save me big bucks to go builder grade then upgrade later...all it did was give me heartburn to throw out perfectly good (cheap) cabinets when the wife decided it was time to step up...and just as expensive as having it done up front..oh and if you want under cabinet lighting for the kitchen..do that now..that's a real mean woman to add after the fact.

Oh, imagine yourself walking into a room in the dark from every conceivable entrance...and put a light switch to the room right there...we have two entrances to kitchen only one with a switch and wouldn't you know we use the switchless one more often then the other (same with the outside to garage entrance and garage to house door).

Ceiling fan pre-wires/boxes are cheap put them in every room!

I think that's all the lessons we learned...basically the theme is that surface crap can be added at any time...anything that runs in the walls..do it now!

Steve

Foiler    1

Put a few electrical outlets in the ceiling. Lots of lights in the ceiling too. Add a couple of drains in the floor for water leakage. Use a tankless water heater. Prewire for hot tub!!! Gas lines to the back deck! Prewire for alarms system, Cat 5, central vac, water filter system, run a water line to the garage for he extra fridge for cold beer storage, ice maker, etc.

Might sound crazy, but a ceiling fan in the garage over the boat to help dry it out or drop down squirrel fans.

Something we have in our bedroom is a sitting area with a 2 sided gas fireplace. One side where the jetted tub it and the other side where the sitting area is. Makes it nice in the winter, plus the wife likes to turn it on when she is soaking. Under the floor heat for the bathroom especailly if you have tile!!! A must during the winter time.

Get the largest Seer HVAC that you can!!!! And look into the electric filters for them.

If you are going with Bamboo, get the woven bamboo. It will not scratch or dent no matter what you drop on it! Wife dropped the hammer and it did nothing!

If you are going to hang your TV over the fireplace, have them put in extra studs for the wall mount and pre wire with HDMI's, Cable, Cat 5, etc.

I want to do the same thing. I wanted to leave the tower up as well but there is no way that is going to happen for me, it would take an 11 foot door. I will do a 9 as well which already looks pretty big compared to the standard 7.

A few unconventional things that I want to do is run a gas line to the garage so I can install a heater later, also a gas line in the floor of the patio that is capped off in the table area so I can build a fire pit table later. I also have the laundry room next to the master closet with a door connecting the two and I plan to install extra washer and dryer connections behind the existing set so I can eventually upgrade to double stacking units. Will take up the same amount of floor space as a standard washer and dryer but will be our peronal laundry mat. My must have is a corner lot with backyard access to park a boat, camper etc in the future.

desotodave    0

funny how garage is the first place us guys go. When we built my wife got the "small 30X30 garage for her 1 car, and the kids bikes and crap. I got my garage that is 36X54 with a 9 foot tall door, so I do have to drop the tower. The only things I wish I had done with my garage was have vaulted ceilings so we can play basketball in the winter, install it's own bathroom (it does have a shop sink) and make it LARGER. It is amazing how easy it is to fill up with toys. I now even store my boat elsewhere in the winter as I don't have enough room for it. All are good suggestions. Having built a couple homes it pays to have a REAL good architect to help you think of issues you will never consider.

Bigcatpt    408

Some really great suggestions on here so far!! Who'd a thought from a bunch of surf punks..... :thumbsup:

Bigcatpt    408

I did just this. I actually had them redraw the entire maser bath because it was too small to start. Master shower is a walk in, cave style with dual heads and separate controls. The do-me bench was a must for Sue but she called it something different...something about shaving her legs. Whatever, details.

Whatever! Details! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Classic!!! Thanks for the laugh!

So the garage/kitchen/bathroom has been covered, but other things I would think of all are around a pool in the back yard (even if it will be a while before it goes in)

1. have gas and electricity run to wherever you would put pool equipment

2. have gas and electricity run to wherever you would put outdoor grill/fireplace, etc

3. pre wire (sound and cable) outside for stereo/tv

4. door from master bedroom to out door deck (this way in the winter you can get in the spa without going through the entire house)

5. bathroom accessible from outside (or as close as possible) so you dont have wet people going through the house

Others

1. 2nd bedroom downstairs

2. laundry room big enough for washer/dry/sink/2nd refrigerator

I am on most of those but not #4, good idea.

Check the Garage ceiling height to make sure you can put the tower up once inside.

10ft in the garage, should be good there.

Couple little details that make a huge difference IMO...Put the laundry room close to the bedrooms. If it is going to be a 2-story then on the second floor. Never understood why the laundry room always seems to be next to the kitchen instead of near the bedrooms where the laundry is generated. In the kitchen - if you are going to have any sort of island - add a second "bar" sink with a second garbage disposal. Did this in a kitchen that I built for my last house. Great for cleanup etc. One person is doing the dishes and another is scraping plates. Also, a pot fill at the stove. This is a faucet on the back wall above the stove that allows you to fill the pots with water on the stove instead of filling @ the sink and moving. One more....prewire the deck\roofline for Xmas lights! Radiant floor heat instead of traditional....makes stone floors awesome! Ethernet connections behind TV's and anyplace you would normally put phone jacks as they will double as phone or internets along with centralized wiring. Have we already overspent your budget by 200%? :cheers:

Good points. my laundry room is off the kitchen lol. I've got cable, TV, ethernet and phone being pulled to each room on at least one wall.

the one thing my buddy just did in his place was make a shower with a sealable door, and they had a steamer installed. He said it is one of the best things he installed in there house!!!

Cool idea but I went with the walk in, doorless cave shower.

Good ones. I am putting in a pool/hottub after the house is built.

I wished we had a more formal sitting area in our MBR...and the master closet should have functional shelving to start...not the garbage builder grade wire crap.

I saw some other folks mention wiring...aside from the TV you will no doubt hang over the fireplace (with cable, HDMI, power and ethernet right there) plan on adding multiple cable/phone/internet jacks to each room...I wish I had pictured every wall I "might" put the tv on instead of the one I was sure I would...had to make small cuts in the carpet to go under to get cable to the wall between door and closet because I only put one jack on the other side of the room...just a pain. If it's multi story with crawl space have a "home run" tube installed (pvc pipe between stories to fish wire after the fact (only for low voltage stuff)

For your main areas do two cable jacks...if you have cable TV now you only need one connection for HD DVR, but if you're directv I understand they need two to be able to DVR and watch something else at the same time (confirmed with DirecTV in the last 3 months so *might* have changed) so I've been tied to Time Warner because of this.

Your driveway should be wider then you think you need...drives me crazy that both our SUV's fit in the driveway but I have to park on the left because I have to walk in the grass to get in the drivers seat (gets wet grass on my shoes, but the wife won't park there because her toes get wet).

Don't skimp on the kitchen now...I thought it would save me big bucks to go builder grade then upgrade later...all it did was give me heartburn to throw out perfectly good (cheap) cabinets when the wife decided it was time to step up...and just as expensive as having it done up front..oh and if you want under cabinet lighting for the kitchen..do that now..that's a real mean woman to add after the fact.

Oh, imagine yourself walking into a room in the dark from every conceivable entrance...and put a light switch to the room right there...we have two entrances to kitchen only one with a switch and wouldn't you know we use the switchless one more often then the other (same with the outside to garage entrance and garage to house door).

Ceiling fan pre-wires/boxes are cheap put them in every room!

I think that's all the lessons we learned...basically the theme is that surface crap can be added at any time...anything that runs in the walls..do it now!

Steve

I've had Diretv for 14 years so I don't see switching. I've got 4 HD TV's now, all connect via swimline technology? It allows it to be done via one cable. We did the most upgrades in the kitchen (besides maybe the master bath).

I like the light switch and pre-wire celiing fan ideas.

T

Whatever! Details! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Classic!!! Thanks for the laugh!

:imagining70spornmusicplaying: bowchicabowwow!

T

Edited by Trevor Gleadhill