h20king

cup holder and speaker ring LED install

PayCheck    20

You may want to consider lights that contain 150 LEDs/meter. It has twice as many lights as the ones you posted. You'll get a much fuller light with these

Jmorlan    2

well hell! thats the highest led count im finding on ebay and amazon. figured that was a fair amount of light. back to the drawing board. only want to do this once haha

thanks for pointing that out!

Jmorlan    2

it wont let me edit my previous post, but im seeing that a brand that people order from widely around here only contains 18 LEDs per foot, which would be 54 per meter?

Can you post up the lights you are going to run?

Wylie_Tunes    146

Ironic, I just logged on to post about this. I am making LED cup holder rings, and possibly rings for my REV10s. $175 for premade rings? HA! I am curious to the thickness of the rings. I will be using 1/4" for the cup holders, what's best for the rev10s? Thanks

.25" is too thin IMO, for an 8mm single color LED strip, we use .375". For RGB, .5" is ideal. If you saw the multi-cuts, pilot holes and notches and how well the rings fit and illuminate, you would understand their cost. I know they are not inexpensive, but they are not a simple 1-thickness acrylic rings like a cup-holder ring. They are also cast-poured acrylic, so they come out of the mold opaque for that perfect frosted look. No machine marks and sanding to get the look right. They also come with the more expensive 600 LEDs p/15m strip. This yields a perfect glow with none of the individual LED pods visible.

PayCheck    20

i can understand 1/4 being too thin, i will have to look around at a local hardware store to see what we can find. i do want the 600 LED 15 foot strip, i was looking at the 300 and then stumbled across the 600. i am definitely buying a spool and some connectors for the cupholders, i only need 5 for now. just doing the ones in the rear of the boat. we have the tools to cut out the rings perfectly, and i dont mind the sanding, it all part of the project. i suppose i just like to be a nonconformist and do things my own way :thumbsup:

Jmorlan, here is the spool i am using, its all blue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083DWKHC/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AA3DL1YN5S7YK

Edited by PayCheck

Jmorlan    2

Where did you find the 600 led spool at?

Mind cutting a few extra of them suckers and sending them my way? Haha

Edit: thanks for the link! I see those are the 3528's, any luck finding the 5050's in 600?

I know the 5050's are brighter, but maybe berter coverage is what is better for this application?

Edited by Jmorlan

PayCheck    20

i personally dont know the difference between the 5050s and 3528s. i can assume that more lights is better though, especially in a clear ring.

Wylie_Tunes    146

i personally dont know the difference between the 5050s and 3528s. i can assume that more lights is better though, especially in a clear ring.

a 5050 is a 5mmm x 5mm LED pod and a 3528 is a 3.5MM x 2.8MM LED pod. Most RGBs are a 5050, thus come on an 10MM wide strip. Most of the common single color strips use the 3528 pods and come on a 8MM wide strip. This has nothing to do with the actual number of LEDs per ft.

PayCheck    20

that makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up for me. there cant be too much of a noticeable difference in these applications can there? ill be using the 3528

Wylie_Tunes    146

I think you would get better results form 600 count p/15m strip of 3528's then 300 count p/15m strip of the larger 5050's.

PayCheck    20

Once again, I am changing my design. Maybe I'll get bashed for this but I think this is an interesting idea.

Use heated acrylic rods and wrapping them around the cup holders for a tight mold. After that I will cut into the ends of the rod and insert prewired LEDs. To make for a softer look, i am frosting the edges with 720 grit sand paper. To increase the light produced, I'm making small slits along the inside to capture more light. For the final touch, I will stick reflective tape along the inside edge, over the slits, this is so all the light will reflect outward. Here are some links at how they will look:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=xGGIUZelILiv4APu24CoDQ&q=homemade+led+angel+eyes&oq=homemade+led+angel+eyes&gs_l=img.3...27037.32726.0.33343.11.11.0.0.0.0.157.892.8j3.11.0...0.0...1c.1.12.img.lXQJ4clUPUI#biv=i%7C26%3Bd%7COaSpnHSdu29eyM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=xGGIUZelILiv4APu24CoDQ&q=homemade+led+angel+eyes&oq=homemade+led+angel+eyes&gs_l=img.3...27037.32726.0.33343.11.11.0.0.0.0.157.892.8j3.11.0...0.0...1c.1.12.img.lXQJ4clUPUI#biv=i%7C153%3Bd%7COAT066Fw5juKpM%3A

Jmorlan    2

You want cup holder rings like that? They sell them pre made ready to go for $13.99 a piece on eBay.

Edited by Jmorlan

PayCheck    20

could not find the ones you found on ebay, but theyre made of the same material. i dont see anything wrong with them, and take a joy from making things myself and doing my own installs

PayCheck    20

those look kinda weird, maybe its just how the view is. but mine on have 2 leds in them, ones i get my membership+bandwidth and my supplies ill post it up

Nick213    583

Do it paycheck!!! Well worth the measly $35.00 you get that back in gear!!! And we all wanna see your mods!!! Do it do it now!!!!

PayCheck    20

Here is what I got to work with. I sanded one of the extras with 150 grit sandpaper really well, so I could test out the clear and frosty looks separately. Thoughts for the crews newest and youngest member? :thumbsup:

post-3334-0-89319600-1368498391_thumb.jpg

RVR-RAT    269

Here is what I got to work with. I sanded one of the extras with 150 grit sandpaper really well, so I could test out the clear and frosty looks separately. Thoughts for the crews newest and youngest member? :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Paycheck......I swear those pictures are much clearer now that your a supporting member :spiteful:

Nick213    583

Once again, I am changing my design. Maybe I'll get bashed for this but I think this is an interesting idea.

Use heated acrylic rods and wrapping them around the cup holders for a tight mold. After that I will cut into the ends of the rod and insert prewired LEDs. To make for a softer look, i am frosting the edges with 720 grit sand paper. To increase the light produced, I'm making small slits along the inside to capture more light. For the final touch, I will stick reflective tape along the inside edge, over the slits, this is so all the light will reflect outward. Here are some links at how they will look:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=xGGIUZelILiv4APu24CoDQ&q=homemade+led+angel+eyes&oq=homemade+led+angel+eyes&gs_l=img.3...27037.32726.0.33343.11.11.0.0.0.0.157.892.8j3.11.0...0.0...1c.1.12.img.lXQJ4clUPUI#biv=i%7C26%3Bd%7COaSpnHSdu29eyM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=xGGIUZelILiv4APu24CoDQ&q=homemade+led+angel+eyes&oq=homemade+led+angel+eyes&gs_l=img.3...27037.32726.0.33343.11.11.0.0.0.0.157.892.8j3.11.0...0.0...1c.1.12.img.lXQJ4clUPUI#biv=i%7C153%3Bd%7COAT066Fw5juKpM%3A

there you go thats whats up!!!!!!!!!! :Rockon:

PayCheck    20

Forget making rings for the rev10s, if I'm gonna put up rings on the rev10s I'm putting up these:

http://onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/LED-Lighting/LED-Speaker-Rings-for-Westsound-REV-10s.aspx

Here are some for the cupholder s if anyone was looking, also pretty affordable. I'm still making my own, but still look nice:

http://onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/LED-Lighting/LED-Cupholder-Rings.aspx

I'm sorry for anyone who paid for the WS ones lol :thumbsup: