h20king

cup holder and speaker ring LED install

h20king    794

well I have a couple days off so I headed down to the shop to work on the boat.First off was to remove the cup holders and speakers and take some measurements to make a harness to power the LED'S that would just tie in to my around the world power and ground loop which I installed last year.I fabricated a harness and put quick connects on the ends of the leads I used female ends on all the positive leads and a male on all the grounds then reversed the order on the rings a male on the hot and a female on the ground so if one ever has to be changed it is impossible to connect the wrong lead I made two of them one for each side.Now on to the rings mine did not come pre drilled so I used a speaker and a sharpie to mark where the holes should be than drilled them to match the size of the existing holes in the speaker.My cup holder rings have a grove that the LED sits in but did not have a notch for the wire to run through so they would not get pinched so out came the dremell and problem solved same has to be done to the boat but only on the cup holders.After all this things really move fast just tie the harness in to the loop plug in the rings than install the speakers to hold them in place.With the cup holders just slide the ring on the cup holder plug it in then push them in the hole and your done. The rings are clear and you can barley tell they are there when they are not on. I could not be happier with how it turned out.This is a super easy project that anybody could do here are some pics of the install..............H

post-777-0-01759300-1301954228_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-56134700-1301955097_thumb.jpg

h20king    794

just noticed that the pic of the harness looks like a stick figure without a head LOL............H

DarksideR    1,679

Great install H. That'll look pretty cool in the evening! I'm guessing it wasn't to complicated? No step by step necessary?

h20king    794

Thanks it was super easy so I figured a step by step was not needed the pics speak for them self but should add that they work off the courtesy lite switch and what I mean by a round the world loop is last year I ran a set of wires all the way from the courtesy lite switch around the entire boat so future lite upgrades would be a breeze ..............H

DarksideR    1,679

Nice! :thumbsup: Good thinkin' on the pre wire.

h20king    794

Thanks Dark I knew last year when I did a majority of my mods that I was going to add lites this year.I highly recommend that if your future mod list has interior lites on it or speaker rings doing a

pre wire makes it super easy.I am not sure if you read my stereo upgrade thread but if so you will see I pre wired the tower as well so I could add LED rings to the 485's in the future.Here is a couple pics of the tower wiring as you can see there are two sets of wires for each side sorry they are not better but it's hard to remember to take pics of every step when working on mods .............H

post-777-0-59347000-1302006938_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-94154100-1302006948_thumb.jpg

h20king    794

I finished the LED ring install today and took some pics to fill in the blanks on the install you can see where the boat needs to have a grove ground for the cup holder wires and what the harness looks like installed I also added a ring to the cup holder by the drivers feet...............H

post-777-0-14394400-1302038540_thumb.jpg

king, could you explain how you did the around the world loop? also how did you connect to the courtesy light switch? do you have a pic of that at all?

Wiggles    2

H, I'm interested in this idea as well... what gauge wire did you use to make the loop...

h20king    794

I used 16 gauge wire for the loop but if you are just doing it for LED'S 18 gauge will work just fine as well.To connect to the courtesy lites I just cut into the feed coming off the switch and used crimp connectors with heat shrink to make the connections sorry no pics.To install the loop I used a wire fish from the driver side rear compartment and puled the wire back starting at the helm.Once the wire was in the rear compartment I wrapped it around to the passenger side rear compartment.I then went to the foreword observers compartment and used a fish to retrieve the wire from the back compartment.Then all thats Left is to take zip ties and anchor the run.Now with the loop in place you can drop feed lines to where ever you want them in the boat.LED lites don't require much power so you can connect as many as you want to a single feed hope this makes sence...............H

Sporty    4

Nice install, great pics and write up.

Looks really hot.

When will the mods end!

h20king    794

Thanks sporty to me the mods are almost as fun as the end result.I love the build I get a sense of pride from a job well done and the reactions from people when they see it in person.I don't think the mods will end until I run out of ideas but if that happens I could always do some of the mods you have done LOL already thinking about the next project RBG LED's on the 485's with a sequencer so the tower dances..............H

Jmorlan    2

If you don't mind me asking, or would like to shoot me a pm, where did you pick these rings up at? I saw your post on wakeworld as well.

I'd really like to know so I can get rings on my tower speakers when I'm putting in the new six pack!

PayCheck    20

Ironic, I just logged on to post about this. I am making LED cup holder rings, and possibly rings for my REV10s. $175 for premade rings? HA! I am curious to the thickness of the rings. I will be using 1/4" for the cup holders, what's best for the rev10s? Thanks

Jmorlan    2

Ironic, I just logged on to post about this. I am making LED cup holder rings, and possibly rings for my REV10s. $175 for premade rings? HA! I am curious to the thickness of the rings. I will be using 1/4" for the cup holders, what's best for the rev10s? Thanks

With my research, most DIY and pre fab are 1/2" thickness.

I'm also currently working on this project

Most of the popular brands are just over 3 1/2" inside diameter, 4 1/2" outside, for the cup holder rings

Here's the lights ill be using - http://www.ebay.com/itm/330902984823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is the acrylic sheeting ill be using (cheapest ive found yet) http://www.estreetplastics.com/1_2_x_24_x_24_Clear_Acrylic_Plexiglass_Sheet_p/1005002424.htm

Although with your revs you will need a pretty decent size sheet haha.

Edited by Jmorlan