MN_Surfer

Give feedback and opinion on the board you surf!

mancho    85

ahhh ok, so that HL is too beginner? We got a cheap wakeskate but it's too crazy to surf with... so trying to spend wisely. I'll check out IS Mucus and blue lake.

DarksideR    1,679

I'm totally unsure about the HL. But do your homework and check for weight limits on all boards. If you're a bigger fella, you may need a bigger board.

Troy. R    198

I agree with Dark. Don't buy a board based on price alone.

Others might kill me for saying this, but personally I like the CWB Ride as a beginner/boat board. It was the first board we got and was great to learn how to ride ropeless on. We have tought a lot of people how to get up/ ride ropeless on that board. We now have an IS Mucus and just ordered a couple of Victoria Skim Boards for my wife and I. While we probably won't ride the CWB anymore, we'll likely always keep the Ride as a boat board for guests to ride.

Edited by Troy. R

mancho    85

Well, I hear you on the board buying based on price... but we're limited in budget this year with the new-to-us cent. I have the spreadsheet, including slip rental, we're easily over 20K. Yeah yeah, whats another 500? well, I'm trying to keep the board costs under 250 this year while we're learning... Ok, anyone ride the Liquid Force Fish Wakesurf? Yeah, another cheap one, but again, we're just looking for beginner boards that are reasonable. We'll advance to a $800 board once we're good.

DrNate    426

It's pretty hard to find boards that cheap, I would look for used stuff,and even then, it might prove difficult. If you want cheap, I'll sell you you an old school Trick Boardz Mojo XL for $100. PM me

mancho    85

That is an old board, most of the comments I search on it are from 2007, but has good reviews.

Price is right, where are you located? I'm in Dallas

I tried to PM but the site said "array" error

Edited by mancho

jbird21    0

The LF fish is a good beginner board. That's what I use as a boat board. It's a big tank and can hold tons of weight or none at all. I can surf on it holding my 8 year old 70 lbs. It's like a long board that with a lot of strength you can bust 360.

mancho    85

I'm right at 215lbs, so I need a good size board to start with... the LF Fish seems to be a reasonable deal at $150, but I'm now having cognitive dissonance on Trick Boardz Mojo XL. dammit I wish this was easy! LOL

DrNate    426

the Mojo is perfect for you. To start with :)

mancho    85

Thanks DrNate, I hope this injection into the feedback and opinion thread is valuable to some future reader... didn't mean to hijack it too much! He's checking on shipping to my location, hopefully it's not more than the cost of the board. :/

Faction1    0

I've been riding alot of skim style surfers over the past 4 seasons. There are so many boards out there and each has its pros and cons. You need to decide what you want to do with the board first. DO you want to Skim? DO you want to Surf? Do you want to sit in the pocket and cruise? Do you want to get gnarly and slash the hell outta the wave? This is where alot of newbies get confused. They aren't sure where they want to start. I've heard some guys say that a HL landlock is a $1000 board...cuz once you catch the wave on the HL your back at the store buying a $700 board. I think that every surf boat needs a basic "learner" board that makes surfing easy to learn for newcomers. So you may as well buy the HL landlock or LF fish and keep that forever. However, don't plan on just having just that one board. Most people will graduate quickly with a little time behind the boat. Once you have established yourself and feel comfortable on the board i would suggest borrowing or riding as many different boards, BEHIND YOUR OWN BOAT, so you can compare the ride not the wake. Just invite out the ppl that have the boards you wish to ride:)! I knowsome shops offer some demos on LF, Phase 5, Shred Stixx, and Walker Project and once a person hops on a few boards they figure out pretty quickly what works for them and what doesn't. I can tell you from personal experience that what works for me might be a horrible choice for you. There is no substitution for getting your feet on the board and actually riding it. In the end I absolutely love my Drew Diamond, but i have rode a few other boards that are also very good, The new Tommy from LF is a really fun board that combines skimming and a little surf style together. Its still really fast on the water, but you can bottom turn it beter than say my DD. From Shred Stixx, I prefer the feel of the Pirhana. Although alot of people tell me im crazy and they like the Pro Model(formerly the Hazen). My adivce, take anything that you hear with a grain of salt. Everyone has their preferences and until you ride it you never know what it may feel like.

mancho    85

I thinking of starting a board exchange program! Lol

I agree completely now I have 3, the mojo, a HL swell and a CWB big kahuna...

However now I want a shred stixx and anything else I can get my hands on. Apparently it takes some expensive drugs to shake this board obsession habit... So opening a board shop is it? ;)

The problem is I don't know that many local surfers other than seeing them surfing at the lake and usually we don't stop mid run for a chat ! Having local meetups and such helps but is far few of them.

The big CWB 62 inch is easier to learn on and actually got some wireless time for a bit w less than 10 min on it.

The HL swell is faster and a fun board for as cheap as it is, not that the entire investment is cheaper than a high quality board. We spent $625 on 3 boards and have now several options depending on the days traffic and weather.

Maybe in a year or two if we continue our passion to surf and can get better, we'll be more informed and prepared to spend $700+ on one board.

So great thread, let's here some more!!

harlobra    24

The $1,000 Landlock is sooo true we rode ours three times and started shopping for new ones. We have a shop that demos them so we rode a buch before choosing the ones we have now - a Trident for me and LF Custom for my wife. We feel like we have a lot to learn about riding them so it was well worth the money.

nwrider    0

i started on a

hl broadcast

demo and dinged a lf custom, so i had to buy it, removed the two outside fins so rode it like a skim. didnt care for it. sold it bought a surf style

A smed wombat, sic board, fast quad fin. a little twitchy from edge to edge, let a friend use it and he zapped it into the back of the boat, so he bought me a new board

A triple x slasher pro, sic board, quad fin, fast surf style board fits my style