Sign in to follow this  
buergday

Fuel Gauge Always Reads Full

buergday    0

My fuel gauge seems to be stuck on "Full", making me have to guess how much gas I have left. It was working a month ago, but jumped around all crazy. I'm guessing that maybe the sensor/float is stuck, but do you think it could be a problem with the gauge itself? Does anyone know where access to the gas tank is on an '03 elite V?

Troy    234

I can access my fuel tank by a circular panel in the floor under the carpet. but I also have a Avy.

I would check the float first, might be just stuck.

Good luck.

David    0

I wish my fuel gauge always read full, it would save me a bundle.

I think my boat has two access holes, I believe the one closer to the front has the fule gauge sending unit in it.

Oldwakedude    0
I can access my fuel tank by a circular panel in the floor under the carpet. but I also have a Avy.

I would check the float first, might be just stuck.

Good luck.

This was the same place it was on my 2000 Elite V. But it could also be an electrical fault. make sure the connections are tight on the gage and the sensor. Usually the sensors are just variable resistors and the guage is just a voltmeter. Sorry don't know the resistance range or whether full on the gauge is an open or a short.

Here is a thread that might help:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electro...tuck-empty.html

And here is the manual for the Faria fuel gauge

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0008e.pdf

Edited by Oldwakedude

crew chief    4

when you find the sender unit unhook the wires. you can just undo one wire and if the needle on the gauge goes to empty its your sender unit. good luck

ps. i'm not sure but if there is two trim pots on top of the sender one is to set for empty and the other is for full.

crew chief

kmoney    2

i love centurions but they put the worst gauges in these boats. my gas gauge never reads full and never reads steady

WakeDoc    471

Not just Centurion, every boat I have ever owned the fuel gauge sucked, they are mostly based on floats and the boat is always swaying back and forth, try to find a calm area to check the gauge. I never trust them and usuall lift the seat up and take a look at the tank. On the new boat the first time out we rode for a couple of hours and at the end of the day the gauge showed almost full, I was like YEA!!! the gas consumption in this boat ROCKS!!! The next weekend it took for ever to fill, I was thinking back it was almost full when we took it out of the lake. That weekend I realized when loaded for surfing it always reads full until you drain the ballast and then it drop to like a 1/4 tank... :wallbash: not as good of fuel consumption as I though... :censored:

Joe B    17

Yep all boats suck that I've seen. You get a feel as how much you burn. 3 light sessions out, or 2 hardcore 4hrs with the guys and full ballast. I have 3 readings: Full/bouncing/Empty and get back to the dock (:

boardguy83    0

The gauge on my 2000 Elite V always reads empty... So I am thinking based on the posts above that the sending unit might be bad? I have tried the wires at the gauge itself and they are all secure... anyone have any info or a good place to find a sending unit? Thanks....

Audionly101    39

My 03' Elite V gauge is stuck at full now too... Every once in a while it bounces but is pretty much just stuck on full. I am thinking instead of fixing the sender which will in all likelihood fail again, I want to put in the faria fuel manager instead. That way I know if I put in 30 gallons at the station on the way to the lake, when the manager gauge says I used 30 it is time to fill up again. The $200 bucks is worth not getting stranded by a faulty gauge IMO.

kgordon7378    0

FYI - I have the faria fuel manager installed in my T-5. I have had issues with it measuring flow properly. I have a few things I need to work out before I say it is a waste. Will let you know of the results.