I have just bought a centre mount 2002 Elite and I am looking for the bilge pump location (yes, I've checked that my eyes function 20/20!) the switch on the side panel lights up when flicked on but I don't hear any noise that I would associate with a bilge pump operating. I know what a bilge pump looks like (generally) but I'm buggered if I can find this one. I'm assuming these boats come standard with one. does anyone have a picture?

cheers

bobback    3

Mine's an 08 and same thing when I switch it on...thinking maybe it doesn't kick in unless needed?

Is a person suppose to drive the boat with the bilge on?

islander033    2

The bilge pump should look something like this:

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/121_1...bilge-pump.html

It will be located in the bilge at the stern of the boat.

Bob, your's should be automatic and there is no need to drive with it on. You should check it to make sure no junk is stuck in that would keep it from operating properly.

jlhenry1    1

+1 on the junk blocking it. I just purchased my 08 Enzo 230 and the bilge came on once when I first got it. I noticed a lot of water coming out when I pulled my plug after riding. Went out last weekend surfing and brought the dealer with me, he noticed water spraying in the engine area, there was a ton of water in the boat. He pulled the bilge off to find metal shaving blocking it, he removed that and it started pumping, but stopped again. he looked at the pump again and noticed it had metal shavings inside the pump and has now burned up. Luckily I had my Tsunami pump and we drained it that way. So now he is installing a new bilge for me. Sorry to go into so much on this.

Bigcatpt    408

you can always jack the front end of the boat up a little bit and turn a hose loose in the bilge for a minute or two. You will find out really quick if your bilge pump works. It is one of the most important safety features of your boat. Most pumps now days can be manually turned on by a switch, but they also should be automated on a float so that once the water reaches a certain level it will kick on.

Packrat    13

My 2008 Enzo has a "Sahara" bilge pump in it. It is on the right/Starboard side. I am contemplating putting a bilge pump on the port side so water will be pumped out when I have the Enzo Sack filled as the boat would be tilted and the starboard pump would be up in the air. I think it's also good to have a backup pump as junk does get caught down there. I picked up a bunch of things like zip ties ect out of the bilge this spring. I used this part grabber and it worked excellent. Was even able to grab small screws.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...mp;blockType=G7

David    0

My bilge pump is tucked up under the motor behind the rudder assembly and a piece of galvanized angle iron. It’s almost impossible to access. Right in front of the rear drain plug.

Edited by David

bcollins    18

Definitely get an auto pump or a float switch. I put in a float switch, cheap, after I had it in a slip overnight and a freak storm came through. Came out the next morning and the bilge was full of water. Luckily no issues but now the float switch, which is connected directly to the battery, will turn the pump on when enough water gets in the bilge. The auto pumps just have that "switch" built into them, not the same but same result.

On that note, what is a good gph amount for these things. Seems like they're typically really low, compared to ballast pumps, which would normally be fine...just considering that freak accident where you may need to pump out alot of water. Luckily I haven't ran into said "freak accident" but you never know.

Oldwakedude    0
My 2008 Enzo has a "Sahara" bilge pump in it. It is on the right/Starboard side. I am contemplating putting a bilge pump on the port side so water will be pumped out when I have the Enzo Sack filled as the boat would be tilted and the starboard pump would be up in the air. I think it's also good to have a backup pump as junk does get caught down there. I picked up a bunch of things like zip ties ect out of the bilge this spring. I used this part grabber and it worked excellent. Was even able to grab small screws.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...mp;blockType=G7

I have the same in my 230 on the starboard (drivers side) aft against the transom. Because I had a shaft seal leak (all fixed now :thumbsup: ) I installed a second one on the port side (glued it down with Goop). Put it all the way aft against the transom (well 1" forward of the transom so I can get my fingers to the test Knob). Tied it into the breaker on the front of the engine with a 5 amp fuse. Ran a hose to a new overboard on the starboard side and added a new overboard (I now have six overboards on the starboard side just like doc and diva, gotta keep up with the Joneses).

The existing bilge pump normally works in automatic mode, if the switch is in the on position it runs all the time (doesn"t hurt it). The Sahara pump is a three wire pump that allows for this. The new one I just installed as an automatic with no manual option. May wire it in parallel with the other pump (for manual operation) someday if I get ambitious.

Packrat    13

What's "Goop" is that a brand name and if so where can you get it?

Thanks