duffymahoney    10

Ok,

Here is the story, two weeks ago I went out and the boat ran perfectly. Today filled her up with 25 gallons of new fuel, put her in the water and she started right up. I idled out out a half mile or so and I got ready to get on it and it reved up and then almost died and then surged. It would got from 1k rpm to 2k rpm and back and forth then sound like it was going to die. I got some injector cleaner, and that seemed to help for a minute of going about 30 then it happened again. It idles perfectly! Starts perfectly, then it lightly backfires when you get on it and runs super rough and almost dies. Every once in a while it would get up to 20mph and then after going 100-200 yards it would almost die.

What I have done and tested.

Injector cleaner

What I have done and not tested.

Heat

Seafoam in the gas tank

Inline fuel filter- Next I will do the big fuel filter on the engine (anyone know the model?)

What is next? Flame aerestor looks good.

Manual says service ignition system, does that mean cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires etc...?

h20king    794

sounds like water in your water fuel separator the one that looks like an oil filter remove it and dump it in a can the water will separate from the fuel and settle on the bottom of the can when the filters get to much water in them they will not allow enough fuel to pass

islander033    2
.....Manual says service ignition system, does that mean cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires etc...?

Yes, give those a check.

h20king    794

agreed check ignition system but check filter first if its the filter its a five minute fix

duffymahoney    10

Do I just dump out the water and re-install or do I have to replace it?

My plan is to do that, then cap and rotor. Then if still nothing I will replace the spark plugs. I am so frustrated! It felt like it wanted to run great and then it would just crap out on me!

I have never changed the cap and rotor or the spark plugs, but still the water in the fuel seperator makes sense. I tried to take it off with my hands but I need my oil filter wrench.

Also I hate ethanol!:shock:

Edited by duffymahoney

islander033    2
...Also I hate ethanol!:shock:

I only hate it in gasoline.....it is pretty good in drinks now and again.

h20king    794

yeah you can dump fill with fresh fuel and reinstall but should change it first chance they should be changed yearly

duffymahoney    10

I think it's a fuel issue. Especially since and came and went. It it was the cap wouldn't it run rough the whole time? I am really hoping it's just water in the water fuel seperator. I will just buy a new one and test tomorrow. Any other ideas?

duffymahoney    10

What about fuel pump? Does this boat have 2? My last boat did.

WakeDoc    471

runs fine, runs rough, bad fuel is my guess only thing that changed.

Bigcatpt    408

Sounds like the emergency kill switch.....

just a idea but check the kill switch,mine did some of this and one of the crew told me to fire it up and tap on the dash where lanyard is.sure enough spudder spudder,she ran rough.idled fine but soon as i got on the throttle would spudder and want to die.$12 fix,cant hurt to try :shock:

Bigcatpt    408
just a idea but check the kill switch,mine did some of this and one of the crew told me to fire it up and tap on the dash where lanyard is.sure enough spudder spudder,she ran rough.idled fine but soon as i got on the throttle would spudder and want to die.$12 fix,cant hurt to try :shock:

Dirt... Beat ya too it!!! LOL. I am really betting its his kill switch!!!! I hope so because when I had the problem I tried all the fuel things, new plugs, rotor/cap and nothing.

duffymahoney    10

Funny because I moved the kill switch for the first time last week when I was cleaning and clipped it to itself. I will try the water fuel and the kill switch first thing tomorrow.

Top    0

I'm willing to bet ya it is the kill switch... They can be a PITA at times....

duffymahoney    10

Sorry not the kill switch. Got a new water fuel seperator, filled it with fresh gas. Hard wired the kill switch. Still nothing. Now it will not idle unless I am feathering the throttle. Almost got stuck out in the lake testing. Local marine tech is bringing the fuel pressure tester. The boost pump sounds funny. I think that's what it is. I will let everyone know if that is the issue should be able to tell here in a few minutes.

duffymahoney    10

Anyone know the fuel pump model number?

Wiggles    2

Mine was doing that, when you do get up to speed does its start making noise at all from the motor? My boat would run great, at idle and up to about 20 but when i opened it up it would start sputtering and knocking, I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned up my distributor points and its running like a gem now. After I changed the filter it still ran a little rough and I was thinking there may be another in line fuel filter coming from the tank but I never got that far cause after floating out on the river for the afternoon and idling around it cleared up and ran great, I would definitely look at your cap and rotor though, I have changed mine twice now in 3 yrs i believe the manual says to change it every yr or two if I'm not mistaken.....

Bigcatpt    408

Dang it! I was hoping it was your kill switch cause its such an easy fix!

You might also want to check the inline fuel filter. Mine is on the port side down low in the bilge about even with the V-drive and tranny. Long slender metal cylinder with a hose on both ends attached to the side wall in the bilge.

Let us know what you find out!

Edited by Bigcatpt

duffymahoney    10

So the low pressure fuel pump, the one on above the water fuel seperator isn't pumping any fuel. I was on and off earlier but now nothing. I got 861155-2 1003A but the local mechanic can't find the right pump. Any ideas?