Sign in to follow this  
lilredridenwood

wakesurfer?

Going to buy a surf board next month. Have no idea what to buy! I have only done it afew times and this board would be used by the whole family. What length? How many fins? is one brand better than the other? Give me some feed back!

duramat    462

Im a big fan for the Inland Surfer Blue Lake, good board for all!

Joe B    17

Give the weight of you and your wife--the 2 people that really count for purchases.

Blue Lake is very good. Some newbies that are light (under 150lbs) may have trouble sinking/flipping the board. If that sounds like you, the Phase 5 Oogle has a very big weight range and flips/sinks good.

The best bet IMO is for 2+ boards, like a super cheap broadcast for the boat, and a nice higher end board that fits YOU the owner perfect. There was a guy on WW a week ago with several boards selling titled like 'cleaning out the garage, or lots of stuff'. something to look into.

WakeDoc    471

My suggestion is to buy a good used board not made by Liquid Force, Hyperlite, CWD, you get it a wakeboard company. I think one of the best bangs for your buck is a good used Oogle from Phase5, might be a little loose at first but, is probably one of the most vestal boards out there for the whole family and will be more aggressive than the ones above once you advance. It is a skim board but, is very forgiving when learning and will be a good boat/trainer boat if you progress past it. The blue lake is also a great board and is probably the best all around board if you go with a surf style.

tn_phase_5_oogle_wakesurf_board_2009.jpg

I weigh 185 the wife 120. What length is better and why?

duramat    462

I have the Broadcast, good board and very universal. You will out grow it in no time but it is a good one to keep in the "arsenal".

Bought the BlueLake after trying one and fell in love with it.

Hopefully this year if I can swing it, Id like to get a Phase 5

Joe B    17

lilred: length goes together with how much you weigh. Longer boards have more surface area and float larger folks.

I'm like duramat: have a broadcast for everyone to mess around and learn on, and then moved to a Blue Lake and Phase 5 skim-style board. The Blue was too big for everyone except me so the wife and kids all ride the phase 5 and I do too. IMO you can do spins much easier on a skim style board.

If I was you I'd look at a phase 5 oogle or if you can swing it a phase 5 Drew Large. If you are the heaviest rider, get a board that you're close to max at. I've noticed more than 10lbs over max is when you have to work the board to stay in the pocket. I'm 150lbs and ride an Icon that's 150max and still freeride with my 30lb 3yr old although very subtle on turns.

Calling vendors like wakeoutlaws is great for advice on a good fitting board if buying new. note: no affiliation to anyone and also ride a TWP surf style board.

Kyle    0

I am just getting started on the surfing too. I bought a phase 5 oogle from Shane and Charlie (wakeoutlaws), it was a demo board and got a great deal on it. It is pretty loose and I didn't really get it down yet. Course with the water being about 48 degrees, I was having a hard time staying motivated. last I spoke with Shane he still had a red woody which may actually be a better starter board, but you may find yourself wanting more tricks and stuff, and that probably isn't gonna happen with a cruising board.

WakeDoc    471

I would stay away from the red woody, at 185 the woody is going to be too big of a board. The biggest Inland board I would suggest is the blue lake. If you are the largest rider in you crew at 185 and going with a Inland (surf style) I would get a Sweet Spot. It will be the right size for you and a little big for the rest of your crew. Also anyone over the 220lb. area might struggle on a Sweat Spot.

Joe B    17

Ditto on the Red Woody being too big for you. The Blue was too big for me so we got rid of it. I wanted to do a 360 but the blue was just too big for me and I couldn't break it loose. I bought 2 boards that fit ME and been loving it. Progressing has been much faster with the right size board.

Our boat show is this weekend and I was over at Overton's today looking at all the new 2010 stuff. Slingshot has a new surf board out and HOLLY COW that thing is thick! Almost 3" thick and just 5' long. Solid construction for sure. I did see the new Hazard by Byrly and that is a beautiful board. Very well thought out. I will be seeing the Slingshot people and will ask them why there board is so thick. Ronix's new board is very light and feels like a real surf board. Not injected molded like some out there. I was impressed.

David

PS. I will take some pics this weekend.

Top    0

Do you think the Red Woody for a 235 lbs guy is a good fit? Or should I go with the Blue Lake one? My wife and kids will want to surf too (both around 150 lbs). Currently were on a CWD and it sucks.............

h20king    794

I have also been looking for a new board we have a couple boards now and none work well for me we have a brodcast i put the landlock fins on for the kids they are 11 and 8 and works great for them.we also have a liquidforce that the wife likes but she is only 105lbs I can ride it but my back foot is not where it should be.I weigh 205 and am thinking about buying the oogle like doc recomends but dont want to spend the cash if it wont work for me.would rather demo some boards before i buy but are local pro shop just has the same old stuff.

doug743    53

h20king, i have an oogle and have used it on a med wake. i am 6'4 and 230 to 240 depending on the seasons. Its not as fast as a surf style board, but it will work well for your size. i am looking at getting the swallow this year, i am trying to figure out what i want too. i just got a new sv230 so i have to see how the bigger wake is and maybe if i hit the summer weight goal of 210 hahaha i will get a sweet spot:)

h20king    794

Doug thanks for the input not sure I want a surf style board.this all started for me many years back with snowboarding but the knee is not what it use to be.I am looking for something fast and a little loose.As for the size of the wake we will have to wait and see I have custom falcon sacs the blade and 400lbs of lead to move where needed so I am hoping it will be on the large side of things.I am looking twice at the oogle pro glass do you think it would be faster than the oogle??

falcon_v    0

I got a Triple x surf board composite 58 for my b day it was only like 220.00. I think it will be a big improvement over the broadcast . The first one came damage they had my next one shipped the second I got off the phone and ups was at my door picking up the damaged board awesome customer service.Look at their ebay store and you can get them cheaper some times. I have not got to ride it yet so this is all I know.

http://www.triplexsurfandskim.com/Wakesurfers_c22/

I can vouch for XXX. They make a great product and I have one of there boards. Very light and thin, easy to spin and get some air. Not really made for a beginner, but put a longer fin on it and you should be ok. I ride it with and 3/4 inch fin and it is all over the place unless you have control. Once you have mastered the control part, it is fun to ride.

doug743    53

h20king, the oogle sits in the water. when you are on it, it tracks well is easy to turn and spin, but you have to realy edge your toe side into the water and work the rail to keep it from being really loose and sloppy. (sorry this is how i explain it) i bought mine when it came out, i use to have a BU. the older hull sv23 wake, so it did not make a large surf wake at all, my buddies have san's and newer bu's and i think the wake really has alot ot do with the response of the board. I like riding a surf style board better, just because it feels more locked in and has that precise sharpness to it. We usually switch off and goof on the oogle, it also is great for boats that need to run at that 10 to 10.5 speed. i cant wait to get in the water, new boat and 3 feet of snow, just does not go together

doug743    53

oh, i don't know if the pro glass would be faster, maybe but most likely not. i have never road a skim style board that was fast, hope this helps

what would be better for beginner to intermediate a phase 5 oogle or inland surfer blue lake?