cmone42

2007 Centurion Typhoon C4 - Center Ballast won't drain & Vdrive light does not work!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

cmone42    1

Hey guys,

First time post here and I am going crazy trying to figure out 2 problems.  I am pulling my hair out!  

Problem #1 - I have 3 ballast tanks.  My center ballast tank is run on a Jabsco reversible pump.  It will fill just fine, but was blowing a fuse when flipping the switch to drain.  I replaced the fuse and the pump.  I thought it was the pump.  It will fill just fine, but when I click it to drain, I get nothing.  No power, no noise, nothing.  The tank is full and I can't drain it.  Also, when I flip it to "fill", water is coming out of 2 holes on the side of the boat.  I know 1 is an overflow and that is normal when it is full, but why is it coming out of 2.  Any advice?  I really don't want to take this to the dealer for the stupid ballast pump.  

Problem #2 - My red V-drive light on the boat is random.  When I go to start the boat, it comes on when the key is turned to the "on" position.  When I actually start the boat, it goes off.  It stays off and then will randomly come on at about 3,000 RPM's, but only sometimes.  This is around 24mph.  Then when I back off the throttle, the light goes off.  After riding for a bit, it will come back on again.  It is random.  Oil level looks good and oil is clean.  I checked the oil in 1 spot.  Is there another area I need to check the oil?  It appears this is a PCM V-drive. 

Any help on these would be great.  I am somewhat mechanically inclined and would like to avoid a dealer if I could. 

Thanks so much!  

Jlagos    23

Problem 1: have you checked to see if electrical current is present at the pump when you flip the switch to drain? I would try visually inspect the drain lines and see how they are plumbed. I know you said you have a reversible puppy but do you also have a pump that drains separately and was disconnected electrically. When you fill maybe your overflowing properly via the overfill line but also pushing water out via a drain pump that is no longer wired?

Problem 2: Its possible you have a faulty pressure sensor. My prior boat , a moomba, had  Walter's drive and needed a new sensor. Very easy to change. You disconnect 2 wires at the sensor and unscrewed it and then put in the new one. You can also get a pressure gauge that needs to measure the proper range. The Walter's drive i had ran at 2 psi but I never checked the pressure prior to changing.

Troy    234

#1 If you have the factory ballast system you have an Aerator pump to empty the center tank. it will be on the aft side of the center tank. On my Avy, flip up the rear center seat and straight down I can see the pump. On a Typhoon it will most likely be forward of that seat. Easy cheap replacement. Get a new cartridge that matches and swap it out. 

#2 Check electrical connections at the switch on the v-drive.  With it being an 07, I would bet it is a walter, people have had connection corrosion issues. 

Pictures?

cmone42    1

Hey guys, THANK YOU so much!  

Pictures are attached of everything.  

For problem #1, that does make sense having 2 pumps.  However I can't see another one, so I'm guessing I will have to pull up the floor panel.  Center tank is not easily accessible.  I just assumed it was using the reversible option.  

For Problem #2, I'm assuming one of these is the transmission, and the other is the V-Drive.  Please see pics.  Thanks!  

Uploading pics now. 

cmone42    1

Those 2 pumps are the only other ones I can see and they operate the starboard and port ballast tanks.  

cmone42    1

What is this sensor?  There is a dipstick here as well that checks out OK. 

Let me know when you can.  

THANKS GUYS!  

20200614_091416_resized.jpg

volzalum    280

That looks like the sensor for the vDrive light on the dash (if it’s a Walters)

Jlagos    23

Problem 1: have you checked to see if electrical current is present at the pump when you flip the switch to drain? Your switch maybe bad. I would try visually inspect the drain lines and see how they are plumbed. I know you said you have a reversible puppy but do you also have a pump that drains separately and was disconnected electrically. When you fill maybe your overflowing properly via the overfill line but also pushing water out via a drain pump that is no longer wired?

Problem 2: Its possible you have a faulty pressure sensor. My prior boat , a moomba, had  Walter's drive and needed a new sensor. Very easy to change. You disconnect 2 wires at the sensor and unscrewed it and then put in the new one. You can also get a pressure gauge that needs to measure the proper range. The Walter's drive i had ran at 2 psi but I never checked the pressure prior to changing.

Jlagos    23

Sorry about the repeat post. Yes you have the transmission and vdrive correctly identified. The engine connects to the transmission and then the vdrive which is the  most front portion. It has the brass colored part you see spinning when in gear. I cant get my bearings straight with the picture you sent that has the connections. Like troy said, clean those connections. The pressure sensor I changed looked different 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/vdrive-oil-pressure-switch/&ved=2ahUKEwj3prHb7oHqAhXkTDABHRzQAw4QFjAHegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3-k4JxuYjWZ6pe9O_2Y5cp&cshid=1592157194902

cmone42    1

Hey guys,

Just an update and another question.  I FINALLY FOUND THE OTHER PUMP!  I was clearing out the boat and there is an access panel under the port side passenger seat.  Basically where the co-pilot would sit.  Flip that up and there is an access panel.  Under that is the pump!  It is yellow and black - appears to be a johnson.  Wondering if anyone knows if it is a 750 or 1000 gph?  I couldn't tell and before I rip it out I want to have the replacement ready to go.  I ran out of time and keep this boat at the lakehouse.  Can anyone advise?  It's a 2007 Centurion Typhoon C4 - 23'.  Just posting this update and pictures in case someone else has the same problem!  That pump mounted in the engine compartment is the FILL ONLY pump, even though it says reversible!  

Still working on the V-Drive issue - trying to get a new sensor and will update. 

Thanks guys!  

20200614_172734_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Jlagos    23

So it's very easy to check the pump rate. The black portion is the cartridge that will screw out of the yellow pump housing. The wing like appendages at the top are used to unscrew the cartridge. You dont not remove the housing from your ballast tanks. At 9 o'clock in your picture you can see a locking lever that you need to slightly unlatch. If you dont disengage this latch it will not come out until you break it. Take a look at the Johnson pumps online and you'll see the 2 parts and the unlocking latch that lays horizontally on the housing. Simply disconnect the electrical connection and connect the new one. Once you've done it, you could literally change one in a minute.

• Like 1

Jlagos    23

Sorry I didn't see the boat was at a different location

Troy    234

Yep. Center tank drain pump.  Not sure on the size. Sorry, i'm not close to my boat either. 

The other two white pumps in your previous pictures, I would look into redoing your ballast system this winter. Several of us have done that. With different routes to end up with the same thing, better than factory ballast systems.  Do a bit of research this summer and redo your system this winter.