Scooper

WHICH BOAT!? - 40k - Avy/230/240?

Scooper    1

Hey guys! So yesterday I thought we were set on an Avalanche. Turns out our family is all putting in their 2 cents. Shocker. We are a family of 8 Adults. 2/3 of us boys ride goofy.

We’re were all about the avalanche, but we feel like the SV240 might be more our speed since it is 2’ longer and better for a big family. But be honest. Is the goofy wave that bad? That’s a big deal to us, we love board sports. Grew up skating and snowboarding and surfing.  we want a good wave on both sides. What’s the boat for us? Budget is around 40. 

should I go to a tige 24V?

Thanks guys!

Dreamer    96

I’d go for the SV240 if those are your choices. Goofy wake is a bit finicky when you list the boat to surf but if you purchase a suck gate it is substantially better. 

bomoseen avy    45

I went to SV230 three seasons back from an Avy that I had owned for 10 years. I absolutely loved that Avy. Having said that, the SV wave is a huge upgrade, and I can only imagine the SV240 is even better. Can't comment on Tige comparison. I started out listing the SV, then went to suckgate and totally agree with Dreamer. I then went to GSA tabs and after a couple "tuning" issues, wave is another level up from suckgate. Check out the threads on Shaka's tabs. Look for Infinity Surf's install post.

Look for A plate, I have FAE also and love it. Good to be aware of the drainmaster vs. Valterra valve issues depending on the model your researching

• Like 1

Scooper    1

Thanks for the awesome write up  guys! Super helpful. Seems like you can definitely get a good goofy wave just takes some work. 

so what if your options were a 2010/11 Avy or a 2007/8 Enzo?

Dreamer    96

Enzo all the way. Bigger is always better. Our first centurion was an 07 SV230 and it was great boat. It did need a ballast upgrade but every boat does. Our current boat is a 2014 SV244. The extra interior room is awesome when we have friends on board. 

jtryon    24

do an a-plate and that should make the goofy wake much nicer.

Troy    234

Love my Avy, but with 8 adults go with the 240/244. My listed wave is awesome but I don't have to swap back and forth, goofy all day every day. Swapping back and forth I'd go with the infinity tabs. 

BoardCo    110

All things equal either Enzo would be great. If that is the budget you are looking in we have a 2007 SV230 that is INCREDIBLE. It would require shipping it, but that isn't nearly as big of a deal as many people think. We can let this guy go for close to 40k.

Take a look and feel free to text/call with any questions at 801-491-3710. 
https://boardcoboats.com/listings/2007-centurion-enzo-sv230-fully-upgraded-super-clean/

bomoseen avy    45

you will never tell yourself "Damn, I wish I got a smaller boat." Unless the garage is too small...

• Like 1

Scooper    1
13 hours ago, bomoseen avy said:

you will never tell yourself "Damn, I wish I got a smaller boat." Unless the garage is too small...

No we have the space for whatever, I agree with you. So what about SV230 vs 240. Because there isn’t a lot of 240s. The one above seems expensive for the year

Dreamer    96

The interior of the SV230 isn’t that much larger than an Avalanche. The bow area is huge on the 230 though but we never sat up there. An SV233 would be a great choice. The interior lounge area is the size of the SV240 with a smaller bow area. 

FYI, one of the reasons we didn't use the bow area much was the wake is better without ballast up front.

Edited by Dreamer

BoardCo    110

There isn't much difference between the SV230 and SV240 except for space. The big difference when you are looking at any of the SV series is condition and what the boat is equipped with. You can get a stock one, but chances are you will be adding ballast upgrades and a surf system (especially if you surf goofy). This will vastly improve your wave but also will cost a minimum of $3-4k.

bomoseen avy    45

Full disclosure no relationship to BoardCo. But that Enzo looks decked out and clean PLUS GSA and FAE. When GSA tabs are dialed in the wave is sweet and no listing (I noticed no carbon fiber vents which are almost required when listing.) When u wanna switch between goofy and reg it is literally 3 seconds! Also looks like Wet sounds in-boat speakers; not sure brand on tower but heater and playpen bow are also nice. Maybe you can find something nicer for less and it's always fun to look but this checks a lot of boxes

Scooper    1

Will a suckgate and an Aplate do the same thing as a surf system but just be more manual than automated? Or is the surf system noticeably better for shaping the wave?

Dreamer    96

The A plate is used when you list the boat, especially for the goofy side you need the plate down to clean up the wake. With a suck gate on the side the A plate is not required. I haven’t surfed an Enzo with a retrofitted Surf system so I can’t comment on how much better the wake is but you can get a pretty amazing wake with the suck gate and it’s a few thousand dollars less.

BoardCo    110

A surf system is noticeably better on Enzos, Avalanches or any other boat with a V-hull. The main reason for this is that it allows the water to be diverted the way the hull does it naturally and allows you to add A LOT more ballast into the boat because the surf system reduces drag where a shaper / suck gate will increase drag.

A suck gate is great, but a GSA or Infinity Wave system works a lot better. The only downside of them is the cost.

bomoseen avy    45

As stated previously I have done all 3 on my Enzo 230+: listed with A plate, non-listed with Swell suckgate, and non-listed with GSA tabs that I installed.

My wife will now drive the boat since she hated driving when slammed and listed

While suckgate is better than listed IMO, especially for goofy wave, moving people to take off the suckgate and switch to the other side gets old. Can't transfer wave during the surf session

A 3 second push of a button to switch the wave and the ability to do transfers under power is definitely an upgrade over suckgate. It is expensive but if already on there you are happy!!

We actually found GSA system loves weight at the very rear of the stern. I actually use a bit less weight than I used to when listed. I have 360# lead at tail under my 1K# ballast bags in each locker for sweet spot. I don't use mid bags

Scooper    1

I am considering going for a slightly newer boat and throwing Infinity tabs or GSA on down the road. This boat is at our local centurion dealer (within 1.5 hours) and seems to be clean as can be. They are open to letting it go a little less. What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your guys help. Youre making this process a lot more confidence inspiring. 

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/2013-centurion-enzo-sv233-7306203/

Edited by Scooper

BoardCo    110

What price are they selling it for? It's a great boat but if you are considering something in that range you could get a 2014 with Ramfill, CATS, etc. and not need to add GSA at all - not to mention Ramfill is like the greatest thing ever...

Edited by BoardCo

Dreamer    96

Nice looking boat. The main lounge of the SV233 is about the same size as an older SV240 so a good choice. Does it have the Pro ballast bags under the side seats? What about a bow sac? Going to need extra lead if you want to list it for a great goofy wake. 

also, does it have the CATS articulating fin? A must have for listing to wakesurf.

Edited by Dreamer