Mitch925

09 Avalanche, 5.7 Black Scorpion won't crank and won't start

Mitch925    0

Hey guys,

So I have my boat in the shop for about 2 weeks now. The reason the boat went into the shop was it started to misfire out on the water. I was able to get it back and took to a local shop. He was able to find that the cam position sensor fell out, the screw backed out. He try's to fire the boat up and it cranks and it fires maybe two cylinders then the motor shuts off. Then he gets about 15 more codes. He try's clearing them and then he retrys to start the boat. Same results. The shop unhooks the negative leads on the battery and leaves them off over night. He hooks the batteries backup and The shop goes to fire it up and he doesn't get anything. The boat doesn't crank and the 1 second beep that normally goes off, doesn't go off when you turn on the key. The codes he has now are:

FM31

I can't find out what they codes me so I don't have any idea on where to start. Is there a special way of resetting the ECM? It seems like the ECM is keeping the boat from firing up or even cranking over. I am lost and he is searching for help on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Mitchell

stoked    1,039

So the head smacking first things to check when you're not getting a beep are:

Is the throttle in neutral? Is the clip on the kill switch under the throttle? 

I also seem to remember a kill switch in the engine bay with my black scorpion, might want to check that too. There are a few that have had that switch fry. 

Mitch925    0
4 hours ago, stoked said:

So the head smacking first things to check when you're not getting a beep are:

Is the throttle in neutral? Is the clip on the kill switch under the throttle? 

I also seem to remember a kill switch in the engine bay with my black scorpion, might want to check that too. There are a few that have had that switch fry. 

Where would that killswitch in the engine bay be? I know there is a breaker for the ignition but that is ok. I am sure they are different on every boat but an idea would help. 

daz28iroc    73

Breaker is front port side. The reset flips downward on mine and was difficult to see the black arm sticking down. But easy to hit the red button to break the connection. Also check that your gear selector cable is connected as we had ours bumped off during a service and was a frustration as we thought it was in neutral for a while...

stoked    1,039

On 8/11/2017 at 10:16 AM, Mitch925 said:

Where would that killswitch in the engine bay be? I know there is a breaker for the ignition but that is ok. I am sure they are different on every boat but an idea would help. 

The one on my Black Scorpion was center above the VDrive by the flame arrestor. It's a red button, the unit itself can go bad. If you can find it, try to bypass it

acpilot    1

I just went through starting issues with my Black Scorpion. It would run all the pre-start fuel pump prime etc. but when you turned to start nothing. Sometimes start - sometimes nothing. I changed:

1) 50 amp breaker on engine - same issues

2) neutral saftey switch on transmission - same issues

3) ignition switch  - same issue

4) starter slave soleniod - problem solved!

Thankfully all parts very inexpensive but glad finally solveed the problem. 

Mitch925    0

So we replaced a bunch of ignition parts. Still the same issue. I was able to find out that there is a recall on the DTS system. From my understanding that communicates with ECM. From what mercury was saying is that when the DTS system experiences a fault code it sets the ECM into guardian mode. The reason for the recall so that the DTS won't allow you to reset it so it stays in guardian mode. So I am taking my boat to a dealer to have the recall done. That should correct the problem, but if anyone has more or better info please fill me in.  Thanks everyone for helping me out here. What a Pain In the A$$ this was lol. ??