SoundEncounters

238 or 226, which has better surf potential?

First off I apologize as I know this has been "touched" on previously. But after reading lots of forums I don't have a solid answer I suppose. I am looking for input from anyone who has owned or ridden both the 238 and 226 weighted properly for surfing (regular side if that matters). I have been told by dealers and reps that the 226 is the "go to" for the nice wave. Decent when using quick surf, better yet when listed. Tried and proven as being a great surf boat. I did have an opportunity to ride behind one that had all factory options full plus 1200 lbs center on seat and rear floor, wave was decent (I'd want more as my old v232 with my advanced ghetto gate and lots of weight was better) but seemed like a great platform to build off with the right sacs and etc.

My question is I like the extra room of the 238 a lot. As well as some of the minor differences in the interior and gelcoat design. But I wanna make sure that with the extra weight the 238 can do what everyone tells me the 226 can do? And how much extra weight? Will it surf decent without listing and using the quick surf like the 226 for those goofy footers on the boat? The extra room is GREAT, but the surf wave potential is the most important for me as that's all we do with ours.

Thanks in advance for any shared knowledge

h20king    794

I have owned both. While the 226'wake is awesome I feel the 238 wake is better. Both the 226 and 238 make a ok wake with quick surf but they make a stellar wake listed. They both need more weight than stock. Our 238 has the NW Boat Sports fly high sacks which gives you 500'lbs over stock per side plus we keep 600'lbs of lead in the boat. Goofy wake on booth listed is excellent. Here is a pic of our 238 goofy wake while listed. I promise both set up right will make you forget abot the 232

post-777-0-52159300-1470912381_thumb.jpg

Thanks H20. Are you using up all that extra under seat you gain on the 238 with ballast to sink it? May sound dumb but the lack of ice chest in a 238 kills me, what are you using for a cooler?

h20king    794

Thanks H20. Are you using up all that extra under seat you gain on the 238 with ballast to sink it? May sound dumb but the lack of ice chest in a 238 kills me, what are you using for a cooler?

we have an AO soft sided cooler that fits perfect behind the drivers seat so it is not a problem. We have 600 lbs of lead we keep in the boat 200 under eack rear sack and 200 up front that we move from side to side. The NW Boat Sports fly high side sacks are 250 lbs so yes you lose storage on surf side with bag and lead but non surf side is empty plus plenty of storage elsewhere. We did our own sub and put it under the helm so we have all the storage where the factory sub is as well. Here is the cooler we use https://www.aocoolers.com/coolers/vinyl-series/48-pack-vinyl-cooler-silver.html these things are awesome

Pdxguy    2

You can't go wrong with the extra room in the 238. We have a Coleman Exrtreme 32 quart cooler that sits behind the drivers seat. Last weekend we had the wife and I and 5 friends out and with their cooler, clothes and food bags nobody felt crowded.

• Like 2

Thank you for info and link H20.

Yah I have a 23' now and have needed the room, just a couple weeks ago there was 9 adults and 2 kids and we never felt on top of each other. The 226 isn't much shorter but even an extra 12" feels like a lot. I felt out an A24 today, allllll that room sure was nice! This weekend hopefully going to check out Moomba and couple others in this "entry" price point.

h20king    794

If you surf nothing to look at in the price range that will out surf the 238 there is a reason it is the #1 selling boat in its size class across all brands

• Like 1

238 and 226 hulls seem to perform very much the same, both surfing and wakeboarding. However 238 won't take water over the rear when pulling back hard on the throttle. Seems like most high priced boats you have to be careful about taking water these days, but no worries with the 238. Because of the extra size the 238 will take a touch more weight than the 226 though.

Nolance    18

I have never come close to taking on water over the rear of my 226. We have taken a couple rollers up front but didn't take on much water.

• Like 2

Do you guys experience the porpoising in the 238? That was annoying with the way they had weight placement in the 226 I ran, about 25 mph it would start porpoising. They only had rear weight though, no bow so bow.

h20king    794

None it is a cab forward design. It is hard to get the nose in the air with the 238.

viking    491

I have never come close to taking on water over the rear of my 226. We have taken a couple rollers up front but didn't take on much water.

Same here and I slam it with weight

• Like 1

h20king    794

Same here and I slam it with weight

never took water over the back with my 226 either they are tall boats.

never took water over the back with my 226 either they are tall boats.

I'm talking about when wakeboarding with all ballast full. Just had to be a little careful coming off throttle.

h20king    794

I'm talking about when wakeboarding with all ballast full. Just had to be a little careful coming off throttle.

talking about what?? Nobody does that anymore LOL

Nate2215    25

Do you guys experience the porpoising in the 238? That was annoying with the way they had weight placement in the 226 I ran, about 25 mph it would start porpoising. They only had rear weight though, no bow so bow.

If the boat is porpoising just adjust the trim tab, that's all I do with my S21, other than 19" and a better surf wave they are very similar boats in design and how they handle.