Trevor Gleadhill

Fast surf boards for big guys

As many likely know I am new to wake surfing and still dialing in my wave but I was thinking about a fast board. My thought is that a faster board would enable staying in the pocket easier.

I am currently riding a Landlock board which I understand is not the fastest. Would a faster board help? Keep in mind I am 6'2" 250.

Thanks

T

duramat    462

Trev! That board is Fast!! Its also like a battleship in the sense that it's just a cruiser, more for surfin then carvin. I tried Bigcat's last time out and I was constantly trying to brake to slow down. :) I tried a shortie skim style once and I kept falling out behind losing it every time, apparently I dont know how to "work it" ;) IMO

tgaugh    2

Yeah - the Carbon version ain't no faster. Some XL's on the outside till you learn to ride it are plenty fast enough. Get your legs up to speed and later add some more fins on the inside, or try the 9's that they come with.

Got a buddy @ 315 6'6 killin' it on that board.

WakeDoc    471

I would 2nd the Inland Surfer Swallow.

Also if you are willing to have a little longer learning curve I would look at the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot. I am 6' 250lb. and ride it with no problem and know several other big guys that ride it as well.

Thanks Loc, WakeDoc - So is it safe to assume the Swallow is a faster board than the Landlock? Meaning it would achieve my goal of having a fast board to increse easy of staying in the pocket?

T

tgaugh    2

It's gonna be too fast for ya at first, leaving the LandLock for that will be a huge step, not just speed but response/lift/recovery the whole nine.

It's gonna be too fast for ya at first, leaving the LandLock for that will be a huge step, not just speed but response/lift/recovery the whole nine.

...but that sounds like a good thing, once you are use to it.

Sold!

T

duramat    462

Just got back from surfin, and had a chance to try an Inland Surf Blue. I LOVED IT!!! Trev, if you get a chance,, demo one!

Kevdawg62    0

I just got a cheap broadcast 4'9" am I gonna be disappointed im 6'3" 265lbs.

I couldn't shell out 500+ on something I've never tried.

wildwilly    0

Are there any IS dealers? in northwest?

Im a big guy and i would love to try some fast IS boards how do i demo without going to texas? I have had all the ballast i am willing to put in my boat and cant go very far without rope on 5'6" broadcast.

Top    0

What is a good board for cheap ($300.00) for a guy that is 6'1" 240 lbs? I don't want to shell out a boat load of $$$$ for something I've never done before......

Top, I got my Landlock for $180ish from evogear last fall. It was a blemish board - not that I can find a blemish - and had free shipping. It got me started and was a good price point which enabled me to figure out what I really want.

T

Joe B    17

I have the broadcast 4.9 and anyone over 200lbs will have trouble keeping the pocket even with a big wave.

I also have an IS Blue lake and never had trouble keeping the wave but my riders maxed out at 220lbs. I haven't ridden the swallow but it looks more advanced than the blue lake. FYI, changing fins from the larger that come with the board to small speed fins completly changes the board. My Blue lake actually had a chance of doing a 360 with small fins.

For $300 range, keep an eye on WW classifieds for a TWP Comp X 5.0 or larger. Great fast board that you won't outgrow. Phase5 has a big board that is very fast. Shred stixx has some fast boards for larger folks and can be found on the cheap.

I thought Inland Surfer was in the Seattle area??????

Fastboard=non-wakeboard company boards

Kevdawg62    0

Great I bought a board that isn't gonna work for me!!!! Its okay my crew/family consists of about 14 other riders who are at the heaviest 180, I'm the only big guy in the group.

I hope to prove you wrong and rip it on my monster wake but we will see, ill post a video when I get back so you guys can make fun of me!

Oldwakedude    0

We have a 5'6" broadcast, 4'4" Coex, a Landlock and a 54" Walker Bullet. The best board we have is the Walker. A bit faster and requires a bit more skill to stay up on, but definitely the easiest to stay in the pocket. Here is a video of an older larger gentleman on a slightly larger walker just to prove the point that your size is not the issue :pardon: . Keep working at it and look for the right board, technique and get that wake as big as possible (slower is bigger wave shorter pocket, faster is longer pocket).

wildwilly    0

What makes a board a fast board? The main thing that i think im looking for is surface area right?

when i watch my 120 lb nephew ride the board i would say board is ON the water.

when i watch my 260 lb brother ride the board it is IN the water so i think surface area is the main concern or is there something else im missing?

Bigcatpt    408
As many likely know I am new to wake surfing and still dialing in my wave but I was thinking about a fast board. My thought is that a faster board would enable staying in the pocket easier.

I am currently riding a Landlock board which I understand is not the fastest. Would a faster board help? Keep in mind I am 6'2" 250.

Thanks

T

I've got a landlock 5'11" and its a good board for learning for a lot of people. Its stable as a battleship but not very fast. I also have and Inland Surfer Red Tide. That is a FAST board but very squirly compared to the Landlock. It also tends to pearl more often even though I am WAY back on the board and on the brakes (rear foot) most the time.

Bigshow    0

I've got a HL Broadcast 5.6. My freind has a IS Blude. The Bluse is mush faster. I'd like to see how the Swallow rides.