Sign in to follow this  
hurricane sean

Forward drive stern surf

Shaka    146

Saw the Chaparral with a Forward Drive. Those things are getting closer.

DrNate    426

I've seen that before and it's very intriquing. Only problem that was brought up is that if you hit something you'll have much more damage than just a prop replacement or shaft realignment.

chenige    84

That would be true for any stern drive.

Stretch    409

I just don't see the point really. I mean easier to drive I guess, but one or to trips out to an empty spot and some calm focused practice and you can put a v drive wherever you want to without much trouble. Seems like a lot of money for a more complicated devise.

Nothing wrong with tech advances though, we need them all the time

Edited by Stretch

Cdifranco    463

I wonder if they will make a point to try to offer the "retrofit" options so eventually any joe schmo can wake surf behind their bow riders.

DrNate    426

That would be true for any stern drive.

I tend to disagree. Hitting something with the front of a stern drive that might deflect it somewhat could be vastly different than hitting something prop first. Not to mention that in this case the props are actually pulling water (and water comes with it) INTO itself.

Shaka    146

I just don't see the point really. I mean easier to drive I guess, but one or to trips out to an empty spot and some calm focused practice and you can put a v drive wherever you want to without much trouble. Seems like a lot of money for a more complicated devise.

Nothing wrong with tech advances though, we need them all the time

Stern drives have some advantages over inboard boats. Bringing the ability to surf to this class of boat is pretty cool.

When I had a stern drive I would ding the prop and have to have it fixed at least once a year. The trailer loading was definitely easier.

I haven't hit the v drive prop in 6 years

Edited by hurricane sean

Shaka    146

Chaparral has now licensed the Surf Gate from Malibu. They have also introduced a new hull for teh forward drive equipped boats. From what I've read they aren't using huge amounts of stock ballast. I wonder what would happen if you throw bags in the lockers.

Looks like the runabout industry is getting serious about trying to attract the surf market.

• Like 2