Sign in to follow this  
Joe B

Elongated Wakeplate

Joe B    17

Pics of it installed. Boring yes. Action photos later this weekend. Took awhile to get the bolts out as I had to leave a wrench inside the boat so the nut wouldn't spin, then get my hex on my ratchet. Long skinny arms are recommended and maybe some tape on your knuckles. I put some silicone back in the holes and a bead around the hull for help with vibration and sealing just like the stock plate setup. Holes lined up perfect as I gave the original plate to the guys and said make an exact duplicate only 14" long total.

post-51-1244204269_thumb.jpgpost-51-1244204286_thumb.jpg

ohioboy    0

Joe,

Let me know how it goes this weekend. I was wondering if this would work myself.

OhioBoy

tgaugh    2

Can't wait to see the action pics and review!

wildwilly    0

looks good, what are you going to do to keep it from being pushed up?

I have mtt and am going to elongate as well but i want to hinge it so i can push it down more.

Also thought about making it wider by bending up outside edge to follow hull. I already have materil and as i experiment may as well make a big change.

I want pocket moved back a few more feet from back of boat.

duffymahoney    10

I love my 12x12 plate! I totally think it helped my wave. I even have sides that bolt on to make it 16 inches wide.

Edited by duffymahoney

Joe B    17
The plate looks bent up a little.

Could be. I went with the same thickness Aluminum (the experts said it was aluminum, not stainless like I thought), eitherway it does have some give to it so I'm not surprised. I'd rather have it flex then really put too much pressure on the transom. The switchblade isn't completely level either so it makes the plate look even more bent.

Cheap mod. The first time I surfed it, the rooster tail was bigger and the wake rolled off/down further. Funny thing, We were dumping on the way back to the dock and I got the boat to about 18-20mph and the wave still was big enough to look surfable, talk about a long pocket.

bcollins    18

This seems like a fairly simple upgrade, can you guys describe the theory behind this...not sure I understand why having it longer will make a difference but if it works then I'm I'll for it. Thanks.

bcollins    18

Show, you mentioned you thought it was turned up a bit. I keep hearing it's better to have it pointed down as much as possible but I'm not sure why. I would assume you would want it up so the back sits lower in the water. Maybe have it pointed down a bit helps it lean more. Let me know because I want to try it with my manual trim plate to see if it does anything. Thanks.

bcollins    18

Thanks for the link Joe. I think I understand the whole down or up thing but the elongated plate still confuses me...hey, that's a long thread. Anyway, seems like it create more force/pressure which results in either a taller or longer wave, this is what I couldn't figure out. Or does is peal over more? Also, is this more for the use with a switch blade or did that just happen to be a coincidence, that Joe's boat has the blade as well as Jame's. Would it help with a boat without a blade? If anyone wants to dummy this down for me please do.

Joe B    17

Initially it was a theory of a boat with a blade by DjJames. The blade not only pulls the transom down but also diverts the thrust up. The longer wakeplate would in my mind keep the top part from spreading out up too soon. There is the bigger rooster tail and the water falls back on the wake farther back and the white water (when the boat isn't leaning) rolls down (peals over) the wave further back.

I think it would help without the blade too, just not as much. But others are already trying wider, more whale tail like plates. Maybe in a few weeks I'll run a session without a blade to compare. Pics with the same camera, same ballast, close to same crew, same location is key.

Notice: I'm just theorizing, and I'm not a physics anything.

bcollins    18

got it, thanks Joe. That makes sense. Let us know how it works out.

Bigshow    0

I just added my plate extender. I have angles to sstrengthen and hopefully prevent bending.

post-47-1244251160_thumb.jpgpost-47-1244251167_thumb.jpg

wildwilly    0

bigshow that looks like a easy way to try different shapes as i was going to replace whole plate how much does that add to length?

another 7" for a total of 14"?

Duffymahoney how much do your wings add to sides of plate? do you notice a difference?

duffymahoney    10

The wings I added really cleaned the wave up but we think it had a negative effect on the size and power of the wave so I took them off.

WakeDoc    471
Thread that explains it all: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1241832973

Off to troubleshoot elsewhere. Post on Sunday with pics.

That guy is nothing but, irresponsible, just a matter of time before that boat is on the bottom of the lake. There is way to much weight in the boat so most people boats will not react the same. The other thing is that he is only worried about the port/regular side wake. I think most of the people trying to create a wake are trying to do it for both sides.

Below is a pic sent to me over the weekend showing a Switch Blabe with a Bennit Trim Tab installed, I will let everyone now how well it performed.

gallery_5_99_52964.jpg

duffymahoney    10

Who had this installed? Packrat? Looks awesome! I bet it works.

Edited by duffymahoney

Bigshow    0

Mixed results. I don't have the pictures back yet. This was definitely the best goofy wake we’ve had behind the Mighty Enzo. The top of the wake was clean and firm and the wake had nice power. However, there still was a significant spray on the goofy side and the regular side was, disappointing.

The spray on the regular side was worse than the goofy side and the regular wake didn’t seem to have the push that I’m grown accustom to.

Joe B    17

PICS--Not a good comparison but the look at the white water on the wave when the kids are riding how it rolls down closer to the boat and my pic it's pretty far behind me. Too bad the pic of me doesn't show how the rooster tail has changed. All and all I like it and will keep in on the boat. The camera is at normal height so if it was near water level the wave looks pretty huge. I haven't tested it if it messed up my wakeboarding.

Wife and I agreed the wave looked taller and I could up the speed even more to lengthen the pocket. Didn't get the barrel, but it wasn't a safe day to even attempt or mess with all the different speeds/blade settings/moving peeps/stupid ballast. With my ballast setup, my wave looked just like Duffy's when he really had it dialed in (about 2 weeks ago I think and the clear but cold blue water). I haven't setup for goofy, nor know when I will. Yesterday I needed the Nascar Boat as that's what the lake felt like!!

attachment=2256:DSC02702.JPG]post-51-1244386835_thumb.jpg post-51-1244386381_thumb.jpg

post-51-1244386546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe B