Stretch

What happened to truck prices?

Dandy    43

I believe the best value would be in the used market. I recently picked up a 2011 Chev 2500 DMax extended cab (which diesel ecabs are tough to find) no 5er plate, very clean with 50000 miles for $33000. Not sure if y'all would consider this a great deal but I felt it was fair. Took several months of looking online but I found what I was looking for and saved +/- $25k vs buying similar new.

Stretch    409

I think that's pretty good from looking at current market. 50k miles in a diesel is nothing. The Chevys from a quick glance seem to be cheaper than dodge. I'm constricted to crew cab only. Personally my last truck was a standard cab and I loved it, but with a growing "family" (addition of girl and dog) and long trips I've enjoyed the inside space of the 4Runner and unless I was to get a 90s truck under 5k$ and put the rest of the money towards a boat upgrade (hmmmmmm haha) if have to go ahead and go crew

Edited by Stretch

boatnut    230

That sounds pretty good.... I am. Keeping mine for a long. Time, seeing the prices of new ones

I put a 5th wheel plate in mine last year and it was only 500 installed, so that was a deal, and I just bought a piece to go with it :)0a29d5ed489be07ac3fab62f7c60cf3d.jpg

Now I have to flip the axles as the a$$ end of dually is just to high :(

Edited by boatnut

chadr    328

You guys are spolied in the US, a loaded duramax diesel here is into the mid 70's low 80's in Canada

My 03 dually was 40 ish back then

I would have jumped on a dually for $40k in 03'. My wife wouldn't let me have it though. She hated my dads because it had the running lights on the top. Said it looked too 70's ish. She doesn't understand how cool they are.
  • Like 2

Stretch    409

I think every time I look at a DRW truck I like them more. Maybe the truck market will take a dump this winter and I'll get lucky haha. Thank goodness im shopping when I want one and not when I need one, everything costs a lot more $$ when you need it

Nick213    583

That sounds pretty good.... I am. Keeping mine for a long. Time, seeing the prices of new onesI put a 5th wheel plate in mine last year and it was only 500 installed, so that was a deal, and I just bought a piece to go with it :)0a29d5ed489be07ac3fab62f7c60cf3d.jpgNow I have to flip the axles as the a$$ end of dually is just to high :(

theres more wrong with that then the bed being to high from what I see ;)

boatnut    230

The pin box has to be dropped and I will flip the axles this week...

This is my second dually, and yes they have their issues as well, for example parking, extra tires and so on, but I also have a Bigfoot slide in camper, and let me tell you, there is no argument in stability, when I was driving up north once with the truck and camper with a head wind at approx 45 degrees to the truck, and the streeing wheel cocked at another 45 to 50 degrees into said wind, and the truck was stabil, I will never buy another single axle truck because of that.... They are extremely stabil...

Edited by boatnut

Nick213    583

Did anybody else find Waldo? :)

Nut do you know your receiver is to far back? Typically it's supposed to be over the tuck axel or as close to as possible.

• Like 1

boatnut    230

Ha ha my nutso kid lol. I the Center line of the fifth wheel is approx 1" in front of the Axle Center line :)

The pinbox on that trailer is quite long, I think the previous owner trailered it with a short box truck....

Edited by boatnut

Sata3000    15

Just bought a 2012 6.7 Dodge 4x4 for 32k with 65 thousand miles.

• Like 1

Stretch    409

What cab style? Sounds pretty good like that duramax at 33, looking better than prices I've been seeing. If I could find something 2010+ around 25 I would probably have to start practicing my signature.

Should probably look around Texas, down there in truck country.

Edited by Stretch

boatnut    230

Nice!!! I like the ram as well, never been much of a Ford guy even though I had one lol

Stretch    409

Nice!!! I like the ram as well, never been much of a Ford guy even though I had one lol

I find brand loyalty to be so funny sometimes. I grew up on a farm with all ford everything, tractors from the 60s still running. An old ford 300 6 cylinder that wouldn't die if you begged it to and taught that literally no truck but a ford truck was worth a dime. Was astonished meeting people that thought the opposite of ford!

Although this year my dad broke down and randomly said "you know I just can't buy a truck right now because I'd have to buy a dang dodge" what a backhanded compliment. I'm not sure I would ever hear the end of it haha

I do think the RAM trucks are the most attractive trucks available today aside from maybe a svt raptor

Edited by Stretch

boatnut    230

The Rams do look pretty good, I used to be a huge GM fan, but man o man, after I bought a infiniti back in 09, not sure I would buy another North American car that thing has 160, 000 km on it and it's been awesome, but my trucks will always be from GM or Dodge

Audionly101    39

A buddy of mine picked up a lease return Tundra with 800 miles on it in it's current year. Something about used Toyotas get extended warranty. He ended up paying $30k for a 4x4 extended longbox and got 7 years bumper to bumper! I've gotta get him to do my truck shopping for me!

This is the best way to purchase a "new" truck. Find a newer model year vehicle from a corresponding dealer and purchase it used certified. This will normally add on additional 2-5 years or 24k-50k miles to the warranty depending on the brand. Let someone else depreciate the first 1-3 years and purchase it used with low miles for a steal.

• Like 1

boatnut    230

Exactly, it's how I bought my Tahoe, gm factory option

h20king    794

Trucks must be cheaper here. Here is an example http://www.kendallchryslerjeepdodge.com/new/Ram/2015-Ram-2500-6b4ac7b10a0a006462b0ed6efc669072.htm I have not bought from these guys but lots of buddies from work have. There is still meat on the bone at that price and would bet you could walk out the door at 39K or better so for an extra 7k you get a new truck.

h20king    794

This is the best way to purchase a "new" truck. Find a newer model year vehicle from a corresponding dealer and purchase it used certified. This will normally add on additional 2-5 years or 24k-50k miles to the warranty depending on the brand. Let someone else depreciate the first 1-3 years and purchase it used with low miles for a steal.

Problem with that thinking is diesel trucks hold their Value. It does not cost much more to go new when talking diesel trucks. I agree with autos and gas trucks that is the way to go though

Stretch    409

^ that's not bad. Yea I started expanding my search to Midwest and Texas and the prices started falling. Diesels also do hold their value pretty well so under 30k I only found one 2011 ram diesel for 29 with less than like 200k miles.

With the prices thing I had only been looking at half tons, at this rate I might as well go ahead and get a diesel.

Stretch    409

We have f150s listing 10 grand over that asking price and selling dead on the asking of that 2500