Praesto

Weird sound from engine compartment (video)

mec500    9

looks like salt water corosion. Started the problem.

Edited by mec500

Praesto    25

looks like salt water corosion. Started the problem.

Sad to hear because that means it was put in salt water before I purchased it and that was not disclosed at sale if I remember correctly. This was one of the old nascar boats. I can go through my paperwork and see, but I did buy this directly from a Centurion dealer.

enzo101mo    98

To me looks like metal broke off and stamp into the valve seat and your head has decay. Is the piston cracked or missing any part of the ring? That spark plug looked like element broke off and that could have cause the stamp mark on the seat. When you pulled the dip stick out was there any milky looking oil?

I had installed a rebuilt 327 for my 48 Willys jeep and a friend put the the all thread stem bolt on for the air cleaner. I started it and was running rich and rough, so I decide to remove the air cleaner and adjust the carb. After running it and racing the engine I went to put back the air cleaner and the all thread stem bolt was missing. To make a long story short took it to a shop and after they ran it for why'll thinking I just drop the bolt on the ground they called me back and found the problem. The bolt went down the intake and into the head threw the valve and stamp the threads on the piston and cracked the piston.

My Question for you is did you change the impeller? This also could have cause the problem.

Skibumm    184

That is a ton of corrosion on other parts outside of the cylinders.

viking    491

This whole thread is just depressing. Sorry to hear of your misfortune!!

Stretch    409

Yea man, I feel for you so bad

Praesto    25

To me looks like metal broke off and stamp into the valve seat and your head has decay. Is the piston cracked or missing any part of the ring? That spark plug looked like element broke off and that could have cause the stamp mark on the seat. When you pulled the dip stick out was there any milky looking oil?

I had installed a rebuilt 327 for my 48 Willys jeep and a friend put the the all thread stem bolt on for the air cleaner. I started it and was running rich and rough, so I decide to remove the air cleaner and adjust the carb. After running it and racing the engine I went to put back the air cleaner and the all thread stem bolt was missing. To make a long story short took it to a shop and after they ran it for why'll thinking I just drop the bolt on the ground they called me back and found the problem. The bolt went down the intake and into the head threw the valve and stamp the threads on the piston and cracked the piston.

My Question for you is did you change the impeller? This also could have cause the problem.

The impeller was changed by the dealer that also did the winterizations for the last three years.

That is a ton of corrosion on other parts outside of the cylinders.

Not sure why there is an abnormal amount of corrosion (which I am getting from your post) Generally people consider my boat to look "brand new" when they see if. Of course this is from the outside perspective. I always stored the boat covered. However it was stored externally.

So any idea on questions I should be prepared to ask, were the ones I outlined fair?

mec500    9

Can you post some details of the quote like labor,engine and parts prices, this sounds like your getting jerked around. I have been a mechanic for many years and find it hard to believe a shop that knows what there doing can't give an accurate quote and gets upset with a little pressure and a few questions.

Skibumm    184

I would ask why it would crack when they winterized it. As far as corrosion goes it just looks like more than I would expect. Here is my 94 engine

be33fdbe4eefb843d21bd46eca7b0df9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatnut    230

Corrosion is probably relative to where you live, for example, high humidity, close to the ocean, etc....

Praesto    25

Can you post some details of the quote like labor,engine and parts prices, this sounds like your getting jerked around. I have been a mechanic for many years and find it hard to believe a shop that knows what there doing can't give an accurate quote and gets upset with a little pressure and a few questions.

Total bill is coming in at $7000. Remanned Engine was $3,500 of the cost, Labor was $1,900, the rest was parts/other misc. The boat is finally done as of today officially. Will be picked up Saturday.

I would ask why it would crack when they winterized it. As far as corrosion goes it just looks like more than I would expect. Here is my 94 engine be33fdbe4eefb843d21bd46eca7b0df9.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that looks AMAZING compared to mine... And for the age of it...

Corrosion is probably relative to where you live, for example, high humidity, close to the ocean, etc....

The boat is kept in Virginia Beach. High Humidity, right next to the ocean, salt in the air. Maybe that plays a little role.

So I will be picking it up Saturday from the dealership. I have asked a few questions so far and here is what I know.

Total bill is $7416.46

Total bill includes Approximately $400 for a new swim deck pad (ordered it before the engine blew)

There is NO warranty on labor.

There is a 1 year warranty on the engine.

They came in right at the total quote number, but also did a few "extra" things such as install new engine mounts.

Because of the cost and considering everything I am going to make sure I get all paperwork regarding the engine. Also I am going to inspect the boat and engine compartment. Though I am not sure what I am looking for.

Question: Is there a break-in period for the remanned engine?

Question 2: Should I ask if they will give me a deal on a winterization since it won't need much of anything done?

Question 3: Should I learn to winterize it myself? (If so how long does it take / tools needed)

Thanks for everyones help. I would also definitely appreciate everyones thoughts.

truekaotik    458

Who doesn't warranty their labor? That's messed up... Sorry

1. rock it like ya stole it...

2. I don't like these people by your post. No

3. Most definitely, we have winterization threads on here for the Do-it-yourself crew... :) basic tools only needed..

Edited by truekaotik

Praesto    25

Who doesn't warranty their labor? That's messed up... Sorry

1. rock it like ya stole it...

2. I don't like these people by your post. No

3. Most definitely, we have winterization threads on here for the Do-it-yourself crew... :) basic tools only needed..

1. Great that means I will get to actually do some more wakeboarding before the summer is over.

2. I will do some research but I assume I only need to drain the block and heater core since the engine and all its fluids are brand new.

3. I will search for some of those threads. I should have most tools if not all of them.

Praesto    25

A bit heated and pissed.

I picked it up and went to put it in less than 10 minutes later and it doesn't turn on at all.

Checked all fuses, checked the throttle is in neutral, checked the safety switch, checked fuses in the engine compartment, checked battery power, checked 50 amp fuse breaker.

Dealer stated they put in a new starter AND water tested it. Dealer is 6 hours away from me and I'm on my way back home they are closed...

Anyone have thoughts? We are considering denying the credit card charge if they can't take care of this over the phone. It's no easy drive.

Could the 50 amp fuse be popped? Would that even be a thing if they tested it......????

Stretch    409

Does it click or anything? Like any sound at all?

Stretch    409

So you turn the key.. Wait for fuel pump to prime and turn to ignition and it goes "..... Click..." And that's it?

Or it goes clickclickclickclickclick?

Praesto    25

One click and that's it, yes fuel pump primes.

Stretch    409

What do you mean when you say checked battery power? Like got the battery tested or turned on the radio and it worked great. Negative and positive terminals both tight and good connection?

Stretch    409

The click should be starter being engaged but not enough power to actually get up and go. So the problem should be somewhere in the line from battery to starter.