mylesm260

Need to tow SV240 W/ Tahoe: load distribution hitch need

shawndoggy    49

The **whole point** of insurance is to protect me against liability for my own negligence. If the brain surgeon comes to my house and slips and falls on the banana peels that I carelessly left on the floor, darn tootin my insurance will cover the claim. Now my insurance may not be big enough to satisfy all of the liability, but it'll keep paying till the policy hits its limit.

If liability insurance coverage were only available when we aren't negligent, what in the world would we need insurance for?

boatnut    230

But if purposely laid out a whole bunch of Banana peels....... That would certainly change the parameters right?

boatnut    230
But if purposely laid out a whole bunch of Banana peels....... That would certainly change the parameters right?

It's all about due care and attention, if you knownly go out and drive with a broken trailer or overloaded/faulty vehicle your claim will be denied gaurenteed!! And then the poo begins to hit the fan... You've just spent 100k,on a boat, get the proper hitch set up period!!

The next life you might be saving is mine or a fellow centurion member

Edited by boatnut

shawndoggy    49

Let's make it an easier example. Much easier.

You intentionally drive to the bar. You intentionally get drunk. You intentionally get back in your car. You are then involved in a DUI causing bodily harm.

You think your insurance denies coverage? No way.

• Like 1

shawndoggy    49

It's all about due care and attention, if you knownly go out and drive with a broken trailer or overloaded/faulty vehicle your claim will be denied gaurenteed!! And then the poo begins to hit the fan... You've just spent 100k,on a boat, get the proper hitch set up period!! The next life you might be saving is mine or a fellow centurion member

That's just plain wrong. People drive with unsafe and not roadworthy vehicles all the time. You think claims get denied when someone with bald tires crashes and hurts someone when it rains? No way.

• Like 1

shawndoggy    49

BTW, I'm not advocating that anyone not have the safest possible towing rig. What I'm sayin is that there is no basis for the statement that not having a WDH will result in denial of insurance coverage. It may well result in you being negligent for towing overloaded, but your insurance is going to cover liabilities arising out of your negligence (up to your policy limits).

• Like 1

boatnut    230

It's all about due care and attention, if you knownly go out and drive with a broken trailer or overloaded/faulty vehicle your claim will be denied gaurenteed!! And then the poo begins to hit the fan... You've just spent 100k,on a boat, get the proper hitch set up period!! The next life you might be saving is mine or a fellow centurion member

That's just plain wrong. People drive with unsafe and not roadworthy vehicles all the time. You think claims get denied when someone with bald tires crashes and hurts someone when it rains? No way.

Remember one thing, it becomes a court case, and another thing called no fault insurance...

You liability will kick in for the other person, but your stuff may not be covered at all...

Back on WDH scenario, I think it boils down to how does your vehicle handle, do you drive far, do you drive up hills, down hills, lotsa wind, no wind etc..

Look at my scenario, I have a 210ss that has weight of around 4300 plus 1300 for trailer and i tow it was either of my two vehicles, and I get sway, which I've never had before... I had a 2013 tige z1 which was around 4700 plus 1300 and a 48" hitch extension and it towed like a dream.... While the VM trailer under my centurion is brutal for sway

Edited by boatnut

shawndoggy    49

Again, the whole point of "no fault" insurance is being lost here. If you have collision coverage, your insurer pays regardless of whether it's your fault. That's the whole point of the coverage to begin with (and really, if you think about it, it's there to protect the lenders on financed vehicles).

• Like 1

boatnut    230
Again, the whole point of "no fault" insurance is being lost here. If you have collision coverage, your insurer pays regardless of whether it's your fault. That's the whole point of the coverage to begin with (and really, if you think about it, it's there to protect the lenders on financed vehicles).

But if it's proven that you neglected things, the insurance company can come back against you, trust me, my good friend is a lawyer and I always get to hear some dozies, just take reasonable care and everybody will be just fine :)

h20king    794

OK that's it all you half ton towing SUV pulling boat owners need to put your boats up tell you get the proper tow rig LOL. This thread is getting stupid we all know you can only tow your boat with a big diesel truck ROTFLMAO. So to stir the pot some if a half ton can only tow 5000lbs how does a distro hitch fix that ?? are you still not being negligent if you are towing more LBS than your rig is designed to stop ?? LOL

• Like 1

shawndoggy    49

maybe things are different in Canada. In the U.S. you are wrong. If you buy liability coverage (which covers you against liability for your own negligence) and you are then negligent, and the claim gets paid, your insurance carrier does not have a claim back against you.

There are of course many many more consequences to towing in an unsafe manner. The possibility of injuring your loved ones or innocent strangers. The possibility of criminal negligence / points on your license. The possibility that you don't have enough insurance coverage.

OK that's it all you half ton towing SUV pulling boat owners need to put your boats up tell you get the proper tow rig LOL. This thread is getting stupid we all know you can only tow your boat with a big diesel truck ROTFLMAO. So to stir the pot some if a half ton can only tow 5000lbs how does a distro hitch fix that ?? are you still not being negligent if you are towing more LBS than your rig is designed to stop ?? LOL

Well if you are doing what the car manual says you can do (towing with WDH), you probably aren't negligent for that reason.

The WDH basically makes the boat/hitch interface rigid, which causes some of the load to be carried by the front wheels too.

Edited by shawndoggy

Dandy    43

Another thing to consider is that your insurance only will coverage you up to a specific dollar amount per incident. If you were to be sued for negligence in an injury or death due to overloading your vehicle insurance would only cover a specified amount for both the lawsuit and the lawyer fees.

boatnut has a good comment on this as well.

These rules are actually being highly enforced in several states for commercial vehicles through DOT. If your vehicle or trailer is overweight (especially when the CGVWR exceeds 10000 lbs) you will most likely be fined and have your rig or a portion of, if it can be separated, impounded until you can provide an appropriate set up. Again this is currently being enforced during commercial vehicle stops.

Edited by Dandy

shawndoggy    49

Another thing to consider is that your insurance only will coverage you up to a specific dollar amount per incident. If you were to be sued for negligence in an injury or death due to overloading your vehicle insurance would only cover a specified amount for both the lawsuit and the lawyer fees.

Agree with this 100%. Don't ever be underinsured.

• Like 2

h20king    794

still does not fix the problem that the brakes on a half ton are to small to stop a load over 5000 LBS tow rating is based on multiple factors and brakes are one of them LOL

shawndoggy    49

still does not fix the problem that the brakes on a half ton are to small to stop a load over 5000 LBS tow rating is based on multiple factors and brakes are one of them LOL

Is anyone towing an inboard tow boat on a trailer with no brakes? That thar is DEFINITELY negligent!

boatnut    230

Is anyone towing an inboard tow boat on a trailer with no brakes? That thar is DEFINITELY negligent!

And highly illegal in BC, you also have to have brakes on all axles over a certain weight...., and most half tonnes don't have enough brake capacity to handle a 5k trailer, I warped my Tahoes rotors with 3800 lbs, but since upgraded to stop tech rotors and hawk ceramic pads and have not a problem since....

boatnut    230

Was just reading my policy, and it says, they will not pay for loss by, your failure to keep the watercraft seaworthy and take reasonable care for routine maintenance and that includes the trailer...

boatnut    230

Agree with this 100%. Don't ever be underinsured.

In 100% agreement, my lawyer buddy has said this before and again, you can never have too much insurance......

Dreamer    96

I put my 2007 SV230 on the scales and the total weight of the boat and trailer with gear and a half a tank of gas was 6500#'s. My current boat, SV244, is 7000#'s with no gear and a half a tank of fuel.

mylesm260    0

Hmmmm, Towing my SV230 with my Titan without distro. Never had a problem. Am I going to die?

no, but according to the articles I've linked, your insurance company could straight up elect not to pay you or anyone else out in the event of a claim. And even if the accident wasn't your fault, the "other guy's" insurance could also use the fact that you were towing illegally as a means of trying to wiggle their way out of paying you.

Titan's owners manual will say distro required for over 5K, if your towing over 5K without a distro and there's an accident..........

Mind you though... this is all in theory..... shawndoggy does have a point, there doesn't seem to be too many examples of people getting denied their claims...

but.

insurance companies are cut-throat, and if they can wiggle their way out of liability, they usually will...

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just asking if anyone's ever setup a distro on an enzo trailer.

If your really not sure what the issue is with your insurance, call up your broker (like i did) and say

"Hey, if my owners manual says I need a specific hitch to tow a specific amount, and I don't have said hitch, what would happen if I was in an accident while towing?" and listen to what they say.....