Shaka

I Need Quick Info on Factory Asymmetrical Wakeplate

Shaka    146

How thick is the plate?

If you read the asymmetrical wakeplate thread I had a plate made and attached it to the bottom of my factory trim tab. This cleaned up the goofy wake but caused some spray issues because the plate sits too low. Over the weekend I removed the whole modified plate and am going to have it remade so that it takes the place of the factory trim tab.

I need to know how thick the factory A Plate is. I noticed that the A plate I had fabbed up is much thicker than the factory trim tab. At the time this was necessary because the bolts holding it to the factory trim tab needed to be recessed. Since the new A plate will not be bolted to anything I think the current thickness is overkill.

Do any of you with factory installed wakeplates have an idea as to its thickness?

bhanson    12

Shaka, this may or may not be useful, but I fabbed an A-plate for my 2007 Typhoon and used 6 gage aluminum, which is 0.162" thick.

Shaka    146

Thanks for the info. The plate I fabbed up is 3/16 stainless but it's way thicker than my factory tab. I need to stay stainless because it's being welded to a stainless piano hinge. I think the 3/16 is overkill and don't want to strain my rams. That's why I'm wondering about the factory thickness.

volzalum    280

My factory plate is 3/16 Stainless. post-555-0-30529500-1430961786_thumb.jpg

duramat    462

You have two Rams....my one ram handles it fine :thumbsup:

bhanson    12

Apologize in advance if this is dumb comment but if you have your factory plate just measure the thickness or take it to the machine shop so they can match it. Wonder tho, since you already have a plate that helped with your core issue, would a quick fix be to file down the leading edge of the bolt-on plate to minimize the spray? FWIW, I am currently using a mud-flap which eliminates pretty much any spray/turbulence from under the platform.

DarksideR    1,679

It's been noticed that the factory A-plate is mounted slightly above the bottom edge of the running surface. Not flush and definitely not further down. Don't know if this really helps or not with the spray.

Shaka    146

It's been noticed that the factory A-plate is mounted slightly above the bottom edge of the running surface. Not flush and definitely not further down. Don't know if this really helps or not with the spray.

It does. I talked to one of the local Centurion gurus when I had my boat in the shop. He noticed my home brew version of the A plate and we talked about it quite a bit. He followed the development of the original winged plate and the A plate. He told me that it got moved up higher because of the spray issue. That's when I decided to redo my plate just to get it up a bit higher. When It's done I'l have a similar setup to Duramat and the plate will be close to 1/2 inch higher than it is now.

The spray comes from water coming up between the wing and the boat. It gets worse when the wing is lowered. I could have just bent the wing up more until this was no longer a problem but I decided just to remake the plate the right way.

Shaka    146

My factory plate is 3/16 Stainless.

Thanks dude. I will probably stick with the 3/16. I guess I could use my current plate and fare over the bolt holes.