Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Going to Move My Sub To Kick Panel

Shaka    146

I want to do a box similar to H2OKing's found in this thread.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/8785-install-is-done-pics/?hl=%2Bkick+%2Bpanel

It looks like he built a custom box that fit behind the stock kick panel and then mounted the sub through the panel. One of my questions is where do I get the ring that's mounted on the sub box that extends through the hole in the kick pane.?

Currently I have a Memphis sub mounted in a fairly large ported box under the observer seat. It sounds better than you think under there but I figure this will be an improvement. Will I be able to use the same subwoofer or am I going to have to buy something for a sealed enclosure? Actually I should probably go look at the enclosure again because I'm just guessing that it's ported.

Shaka    146

You mean like this?

?

h20king    794

I want to do a box similar to H2OKing's found in this thread.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/8785-install-is-done-pics/?hl=%2Bkick+%2Bpanel

It looks like he built a custom box that fit behind the stock kick panel and then mounted the sub through the panel. One of my questions is where do I get the ring that's mounted on the sub box that extends through the hole in the kick pane.?

Currently I have a Memphis sub mounted in a fairly large ported box under the observer seat. It sounds better than you think under there but I figure this will be an improvement. Will I be able to use the same subwoofer or am I going to have to buy something for a sealed enclosure? Actually I should probably go look at the enclosure again because I'm just guessing that it's ported.

close I made the custom box then made a custom kick panel to fit. I had a small area to work with so I had to build the rings that you see in the pic so I would have enough depth in the box to mount the sub. In your case remove your kick plate and see if your current box fits in the void. If so you are more than half way done and all you will have left to do is secure the box and figure out how you want to trim it out. Or option two would be to mount behind factory kick panel so you cant see it. Edited by h20king

Wylie_Tunes    146

On the surface, I see no reason for a new woofer, simply because you want to relocate it to a better performing spot. Stick with a ported enclosure, although it will likely require a new one to be constructed, unless the new spot wont allow for an enclosure of that size.

boatnut    230

That was supposed to have a picture attached

Shaka    146

The current enclosure is pretty large. I need to measure it and then measure behind the kick pane. I'm not confident it would fit. Also the port is on the front so it would try to vent right into the kick panel.

I can easily make a new kick panel. I have a large router table and pattern cutting bearing bits. It would be a simple matter of pulling the carpet off the edges of the kick panel and then using double stick tape to attach the stock and then cutting it out. Or I guess I could use a band saw but that's not as much fun. hahaha

h20king    794

I think you will be good to go with an enzo 230. I had a 12" ported kicker sub hidden behind the kick panel on my falcon V so my bet is you have a ton of room on the enzo. Once you get it to fit making a new kick panel is easy.

h20king    794

not sure if you can tell by the pics but I had the sub in the falcon hidden behind the panel. It hit hard and because the area under the helm is not sealed no hole in the kick panel was needed

post-777-0-63867900-1430701085_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-63369300-1430701158_thumb.jpg

truekaotik    458

H is right on, check it to see is all you can do right now...

Shaka    146

not sure if you can tell by the pics but I had the sub in the falcon hidden behind the panel. It hit hard and because the area under the helm is not sealed no hole in the kick panel was needed

I kind of like the exposed speaker look. Plus it would be fun to add an LED.

• Like 1

Shaka    146

Ok more questions

I have an older Pioneer stereo DEH7800mp. It's a nice head unit and has all the necessary inputs and outputs with the exception of Bluetooth. The flaw is every time I turn off the batteries it goes into Demo mode when restarted. Getting it to go off demo mode is a total pain in the butt and there have been times when I haven't been able to do so. I'd ultimately like to get a Wetsounds 420BT but I've heard the Bluetooth in them was less than stellar. The other option would be to replace the head unit with something like the Clarion m505 which has Bluetooth and at the non-Bluetooth version of the 420 later.

What would you people do. I've about blown my budget for upgrades so I can do one but not both.

h20king    794

get a cheep head unit with Bluetooth and a 420sq. You only need one set of pre outs when using a 420eq so that should open up a bunch of head unit options on the cheep

h20king    794

also I would not worry to much about it being a marine deck I have used auto decks for years without a problem

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

I would do the M505BT and the 420SQ...

The other options posted are ok as well! I just prefer Clarion if you want to spend the money.

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

Wylie_Tunes    146

Without having anything to compare to, its hard to address why the SW-420BT is less then stellar. Compared to Wet Sounds external BT, the BTVC, i have found the BTVC has a little more range and a stronger signal. Compared to many of the marine and non-marine universal BTS you see linked all over the web, I have found the 420BT to be excellent.

I would probably use the install location as the bulk of the driving force. The larger face of the 420BT makes it ideal for a flush mount install and less ideal as an under dash mount in a more traditional manor. With the SQ version, you have a flush mount face plate as well as the under dash mount. It can also be mounted without either. When adding the BTVC to it, you can mount it remotely or mount it in the under dash mount if you went that option. From a cost standpoint, the SQ + BTVC = the 420BT. Everything else about the two EQs identical.

Out of the integrated head-unit/BT, Polk has a solid BT, Fusion is good. The Clarion black box unit was ok, but didnt work with my android phone. My phone has the new 3.0 BT and is class-2. Sony works ok but are hard to pair. Rockford has made some strides but are dealing with a fading issue right now and i think they have released a revision.

Shaka    146

One reason the Clarion caught my eye is they make wired remotes. I currently have a Pioneer wired remote and it wouldn't be a big deal to replace it with the Clarion.

• Like 1

Shaka    146

What do you guys think of Kenwood KMR-D558BT vs. Clarion M505? Look pretty comparable except the preamp voltages. Both have wired remotes.

Local stereo guy likes the Kenwood better and it's $100 cheaper.

truekaotik    458

It's discontinued, last years model and only the basic remote will work on it... Like clarion you will have to purchase the extension cable for the remote as well.. So if it's worth $100 less to you go for it..