Jerry B

2015 Tower Speaker Suggestion

h20king    794

Yep what they ^^^^ said. Only thing better than two rev 10's is four of them LOL

post-777-0-48748800-1428180253_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-13068700-1428180413_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jerry B    12

Thanks for all the good input. Pair of REV10's and a 420 EQ it is.

• Like 1

h20king    794

what amp are you going to use to power them??

boatnut    230

Should get a, exile 30.2 that amp is wicked, size and it packs a wholop!!.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Should get a, exile 30.2 that amp is wicked, size and it packs a wholop!!.

Have you seen this amp tested by an outside independent source, or just going by the manufactures advertised specs? I ask because the last series of exile amps were found to be grossly under their stated output by an average of 50%. To a single pair of 8" xm9, I found this amp to be spot on, but would be leaving a lot of untapped potential on the table for a pair of 10" rev-10.

For a single pair of Rev-10, the Syn-4, SD-2, Arc KS300.4 or KS600.2 or JL HDM750/1

boatnut    230

I've personally used the exile 302, and it's packs a wholop and been around for a while, I will use mine, when I do. Finally put towers on, it will be used for that!!

I had a sync 6 in my boat, and it was okay and that amp struggled with the wetsounds sub I had....

That exile amp reminds me of a little known Cali company back in the 80's named linear power, and they made a little amp known as the 452i and that amp was rated at 22.5 watts aside, and let me tell you, no amp could hold water to this little wonder it was driving 9 speakers in my car and my car won a very tough competition with that amp... Never judge a book by its cover!!

Edited by boatnut

h20king    794

I would recommend going with the WS sd2 or the Arc audio KS 600.2 both are spot on for one set of rev 10's but leave you the option of adding a second set down the road without swapping out amps. The hertz is a good unit I just think their are better choices

truekaotik    458

The amp recommended by the dealer is the Hertz HDP 4.

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-amplifiers-hdp4/

Very viable amplifier if your audio installer likes it and is a dealer of Hertz. I carry Hertz and can say this amplifier is in the choices I would recommend plus what Wylie posted.

truekaotik    458

I've personally used the exile 302, and it's packs a wholop and been around for a while, I will use mine, when I do. Finally put towers on, it will be used for that!!

I had a sync 6 in my boat, and it was okay and that amp struggled with the wetsounds sub I had....

That exile amp reminds me of a little known Cali company back in the 80's named linear power, and they made a little amp known as the 452i and that amp was rated at 22.5 watts aside, and let me tell you, no amp could hold water to this little wonder it was driving 9 speakers in my car and my car won a very tough competition with that amp... Never judge a book by its cover!!

The internals on a Exile are NOTHING like the old school Linear Power class... They don't make those anymore..

The small numbers were a thing back in the day called "cheater amps". The specs reveal the true power of these units. Rockford, Lanzar, ect.. did it for the SPL community... We don't judge product by the looks, we judge them by reliability, proper specs, and quality of internal parts :)

Edited by truekaotik

boatnut    230

All the Amps mentioned here are solid, and looks like we even have dealers chiming in, which is very important, but except for the wetsounds and exile, there are no other marine specific amps, so unless you only want an amp to last for maybe 3 years top, stick with a marine quality amp..... I know there are exceptions to the rules, but in general car amps don't last as long in the marine environment :), PS, unless you have an unlimited amount of cash to Fork out for a sd2, the exile is a steal, at probably 2/3 the price, and the other important consideration is size and placement... Just a few things to consider :)

Edited by boatnut

truekaotik    458

Don't forget JL is marine as well... Lol

Marine grade is always best but I've seen these crap out early too. Seen Non-Mairine last 10 plus years...

It's all about maintaining your expensive stuff, do you buy a $1000 surf board and never wipe it and throw it around? Prolly not...

Edited by truekaotik

truekaotik    458

Have you seen this amp tested by an outside independent source, or just going by the manufactures advertised specs? I ask because the last series of exile amps were found to be grossly under their stated output by an average of 50%. To a single pair of 8" xm9, I found this amp to be spot on, but would be leaving a lot of untapped potential on the table for a pair of 10" rev-10.

For a single pair of Rev-10, the Syn-4, SD-2, Arc KS300.4 or KS600.2 or JL HDM750/1

Do you have one to send me? I have the test equiptment from Steve Mead then I will send it back to Ya!! Hehe

I lost my taste for Exile with the last batch of bunk Javelins..

Edited by truekaotik

boatnut    230

Lol on the surf board, never bought a $1000 board, either I buy knock offs or end of season bargains. I can't honestly say much about other exile products but I am happy with the 30.2, we all know manufactures put out questionable products from time to time for whatever reasons. But I stand behind the little amp, I think we need reputable dealer to put one of these puppies thru a workout :)

Edited by boatnut

Wylie_Tunes    146

I've personally used the exile 302, and it's packs a wholop and been around for a while, I will use mine, when I do. Finally put towers on, it will be used for that!! I had a sync 6 in my boat, and it was okay and that amp struggled with the wetsounds sub I had.... That exile amp reminds me of a little known Cali company back in the 80's named linear power, and they made a little amp known as the 452i and that amp was rated at 22.5 watts aside, and let me tell you, no amp could hold water to this little wonder it was driving 9 speakers in my car and my car won a very tough competition with that amp... Never judge a book by its cover!!

The Javelin was the first of this class to drop and it released summer of 2013. So lets say they are have a season and a half under their belt. Make no mistake, im not judging any covers. This new xm series amps seem to be based on a phoenix gold platform that was retired about 2010.

I have installed these amp, set them up and tuned them with a volt meter. By no means is that the same as "testing" the amp's output for any comparison sake, but I feel this series seems to be much closer to their advertised spec, unlike the previous series.

300W rms is strong power for a typical 8" HLCD and 210W rms is still respectable for 2 pair. But, for the rev-10, 300W rms is just getting that speaker warmed up so to speak. Now, take into account that those specs are at 14.5V, which you will almost never see at the amps input terminals. When the batteries are at rest, you can see up to a 25% reduction in output. So, if the Rev-10 is driven at 300W rms @ 14.5, you are well under its rms when at rest. Now look at the amps price tag. compare that to amps will deliver more wattage. The 30.2 is $550 and the Syn-4 is $600. Walk into your local wet sound dealer for that pair of Rev-10 and amp combo, and I bet you will come out with a decent package deal.

In RE to your Syn-6 and 10fa in your 2013. I guarantee that amp was not struggling, it was poor execution on the part of the boat manufacture. The 10fa is a 4 ohm single voice coil woofer. The Syn-6 has the potential of 600W rms to a sub thats bridged on chnls 5/6. In your boat, the manufacturer only wires the sub to a single chnl. This nets only 150W rms to a sub that really like driven in the 300-400 watts rms range. I walked quite a few owners through the steps to bridge the amp, reconfigure the RCA and then re-tune the amp. Many happy campers after this.

Wylie_Tunes    146

All the Amps mentioned here are solid, and looks like we even have dealers chiming in, which is very important, but except for the wetsounds and exile, there are no other marine specific amps, so unless you only want an amp to last for maybe 3 years top, stick with a marine quality amp..... I know there are exceptions to the rules, but in general car amps don't last as long in the marine environment :), PS, unless you have an unlimited amount of cash to Fork out for a sd2, the exile is a steal, at probably 2/3 the price, and the other important consideration is size and placement... Just a few things to consider :)

As Truek stated, the JL is a marine built amp. The SD-2 is 13.5 x 9.8 and the 30.2 is 10.8 x 7.5. Keep in mind though, the footprint of the SD series amp includes the space needed for the cable terminations. as they are covered ones the cover is in place. With the xm30.2, you have speaker and power cables on one end and RCA's on the other. Factor those cables on both ends, and I bet its footprint is close to the SD-2.

boatnut    230

As Truek stated, the JL is a marine built amp. The SD-2 is 13.5 x 9.8 and the 30.2 is 10.8 x 7.5. Keep in mind though, the footprint of the SD series amp includes the space needed for the cable terminations. as they are covered ones the cover is in place. With the xm30.2, you have speaker and power cables on one end and RCA's on the other. Factor those cables on both ends, and I bet its footprint is close to the SD-2.

One thing you guys have over us little guys. Is price, in Canada the sd2 is like a thousand bucks, the exile 30.2 can be had for like 350 bucks, and this too is a driving factor as well.... As for the syn6, your probably right on the setup, I never had the POS boat for long enough to really worry to much about it... But I did spend over 6hours rewiring the roswell 800.5 in my boat on Friday, and it sounds pretty good in the enzo now that all 6 speakers are actually firing lol not east to get a 6 foot plus frame in that storage locker :)

I also wonder about service here in Canada, because alot of dealers are turning from recommending wetsounds here, exile and roswell seem to be the choice lately..... Why do you guys think that's happening?

Edited by boatnut

Wylie_Tunes    146

Do you have one to send me? I have the test equiptment from Steve Mead then I will send it back to Ya!! Hehe

I lost my taste for Exile with the last batch of bunk Javelins..

Nope, just had a couple customer supplied gear installs last year. I washed my hands of that brand in 2011, LOL. I will say though, the sub section of the javelin is about the worst sounding ive setup.

Lol on the surf board, never bought a $1000 board, either I buy knock offs or end of season bargains. I can't honestly say much about other exile products but I am happy with the 30.2, we all know manufactures put out questionable products from time to time for whatever reasons. But I stand behind the little amp, I think we need reputable dealer to put one of these puppies thru a workout :)

Thats the hard part, Exile has a business model that doesnt support a dealer network, but rather consumer direct sales at a discount.

Wylie_Tunes    146

One thing you guys have over us little guys. Is price, in Canada the sd2 is like a thousand bucks, the exile 30.2 can be had for like 350 bucks, and this too is a driving factor as well.... As for the syn6, your probably right on the setup, I never had the POS boat for long enough to really worry to much about it... But I did spend over 6hours rewiring the roswell 800.5 in my boat on Friday, and it sounds pretty good in the enzo now that all 6 speakers are actually firing lol not east to get a 6 foot plus frame in that storage locker :) I also wonder about service here in Canada, because alot of dealers are turning from recommending wetsounds here, exile and roswell seem to be the choice lately..... Why do you guys think that's happening?

They are all impacted by the same exchange rate, so the price ratio would remain the same. No question the SD amps are expensive, but their performance backs that price up.