Sign in to follow this  
bcollins

Amp install - Wires, Fuses, Distribution Blocks

bcollins    18

Hey guys a lot smarter than me…I have some questions about an amp install I’ll be doing this weekend I was hoping you could help me with. I primarily need some help with the fuses, etc. as I’ll be running a single power wire to an unfused distribution block, same for the ground.

I have two amps, a Kicker IX500.4 (No onboard fuses but recommends an 50a inline) and a PCA 465 (60a onboard – 2 x 30a).

I was planning on running 2 guage wire from the battery to the distribution block for both the power and ground wires. I planned on putting an inline fuse between the battery and distribution block. The wire will only be about 18 inches long in total, including length of fuse holder.

Question #1 – What size fuse should I use. I keep reading the fuses are to protect the wires, not the amps. Not sure I understand that. Should I put a fuse close to or equal to the two amps, 110, or is based on the wire, etc? If so, would a 100a fuse be enough. I’ll need to by a new fuse holder and fuses if I need anything over 100. Eveything I read suggested something 125 or higher.

Question #2 – Is 2 gauge wire sufficient. I should also add that I went to home depot and bought some 2 guage, thick stranded wire. What I have read is that basically the only difference would be in the flexibility, short distance so doesn’t really matter, and ability of jacket to repel oil, etc…putting in boat nowhere near anything corrosive materials so figured I was good.

From the distribution block I will run 4 guage power wire to the IX500.4 and 8 guage to the PCA 465 as suggested by the manuals. The IX500.4 recommends an inline 50a fuse which I will install. The PCA 465 has two 30a onboard fuses.

Question #3 – Should I include an inline fuse from the block to the PCA 465? As I mentioned it has onboard fuses and I read this can actually be kind of redundant and even potentially give me a worst connection so not to bother. If I should, should it just equal the 60a that’s on the amp?

I plan to basically do exactly the same thing for the ground wires except there will be no fuses obviously.

Thanks guys, feel free to make any recommendations. I'll probably have more questions after this. :thumbsup:

truekaotik    458

2 gauge from battery to 100 amp inline fuse. 2 gauge from inline fuse to distribution block. 4G to IX with fuse. 8G to PCA.

bcollins    18

Nice, thanks true...and that ghetto 2 guage is okay? Seems legit but it is stiff compared to the fine strands in the 4 guage wire I got from an old amp kit.

Wylie_Tunes    146

To reduce the number of connections, go with a 2-way fused B+/GND combo distribution block. This will give you the circuit protection for the IX amp and any others that do not have their own internal fusing. The Metra T-Spec V12DB14PN is a good one. Its 1/0 in and 4ga out.

truekaotik    458

I would of suggested that as well Wylie, IF he didn't already have the stuff he mentioned....

truekaotik    458

Nice, thanks true...and that ghetto 2 guage is okay? Seems legit but it is stiff compared to the fine strands in the 4 guage wire I got from an old amp kit.

Roll with it man...

bcollins    18

Thanks guys, I was planning on running a fused block for the power lines but ended up with an unfused block and some inline fuse holders instead...not really sure why, probably cost. Im going to roll with what I have for now but I might order up a fused block sooner than later. Thanks again for the help.

I just did my amp setup, 1 kicker ix500.1 and ix500.4. The 500.1 is on a l710" and the 500.4 is on all the in boats. Love these amps. I ran 2ga to blocks then 4ga. I will say the eBay wire I bought is more like 4 and 8 gauge. It has so much dang insulation it's crazy. Seems fine so far.

chenige    84

I got my wire from Genuinedealz. Seems to be pretty good. http://www.genuinedealz.com/4-awg-custom-battery-cables

My inline fuse block at the battery. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19759_Stinger-SPD8203-Gold.html

+ Fuse block just before amps and ballast pump. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_36174_Xscorpion-MANL3044P.html

- Fuse Block. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45063_NVX-XDBU4.html

bcollins    18

All the charts I looked at suggested with the very short distance I'll be running the wire that the 2 guage, etc. was a bit overkill but I'm going to run it anyway. With that, the wire looks legitimately like 2 guage wire but instead of the hundreds of fine strands its made up of maybe twenty really thick copper strands so it's rigid/stiff. Definitely not something I would consider running through a car or anywhere you would have multiple twists and turns but my battery is a foot from where the amps will be so I think I'm okay. I'll probably buy some new cable later on...long story short I forgot to buy it, thinking I had some at home, went to homedepot for something else and happened to pass by the electrical section. Cable was$1.50/foot so it was worth the $6 just to try it out. I did some research and it said essentially the only difference was the flexibility and the ability to last in corrosive environments, i.e. engine compartment. Anyway, we'll find out this weekend.

Wylie, that dist block you suggested was perfect and actually cheaper than the two I bought....should have asked you first. Might pick that up later as well. My buddy wants to do something very simple in his boat so I can probably convince him to take my old stuff once we tackle that project :devil:

chenige, thanks for the list/links. I have most of what I need but I might be upgrading as I go. for now I'm pretty set. Well I need a 100a fuse, that's about it. I'm surprised at the price difference in some of these things, I think I paid $5 for the inline fuse holder and it had great reviews. That one is pretty pricey. I'm sure the quality is much better and if you just spent several grand on amps/speakers there's no point skimping on installation parts.

Tommy, so running two 4 guage leads off of a 2 guage lead isn't an issue? I was a little concerned about running a 4 guage and an 8 guage from a 2 guage/dist block. Good to see that shouldn't be an issue. Again, I think running very short distances negates a lot of these worries but I'm no audio installation expert. I hear that all the time about the wire, I definitely have some from a cheap amp kit that says 4 guage and it's mostly just a thick jacket covering what looks like maybe 8 guage.

Edited by bcollins

I'm sure someone may disagree but the it works without issue. Yes my 4 ha leads are like 18" max. I figure go big to the blocks then drop down

truekaotik    458

your fine tommy....