Tommywalton1974

What are the woman surfing?

adambomb2000    35

Hoping to revive this thread and get some more input for women's rides. Need to get something for the wife...said she was bored with the Phase 5 Oogle last year. I think she would prefer a surf style board over skim. She is pretty good snowboarder and has picked up surfing pretty well.

I picked up a 2013 IS BBFB for myself...maybe I am just feeling guilty now lol...

Anymore suggestions out there? I am hoping to spend $400 or less on her board - used would be fine.

Lots of Ronix Koal's of various models out there in that price point but everyone says they're 'bricks'.

She is 5' 7" and about 130lbs and not a wallflower (pretty strong) - would the Triple X Slayer Pro X 4' 8" be too big for her? Does anyone have any experience with the Liquid Force Quad 4' 8".

I think that my idea of sizing is somewhat skewed now too because I think that the IS BBFB is relatively small at 4' 8" for a 'big boy' board...

I picked up the same board you did. And my girlfriend rides it fine she loves it. Until I get my wave dialed I can't hardly ride it. I'm clocking 240lbs even so I'm really too damn fat.

The bbfb fits her really well. I know makes no damn sense. If I can't get my wave set I'm going to be looking for another board myself. Real bummer.

I had a ronix koal last year and broke it in half. It delaminated and I kept riding. Water intrusion then snapped the noSe off. I was jumping and carving and doin 360 toward end of the summer and can hardly let the rope go With the big boy.

End of my rant. Oh have you ridden the bbfb yet??

Oh she's 5'5" 125lbs

adambomb2000    35

Thanks for the info Tommy...

No I haven't ridden it yet. Summer has decided not to show up yet here in Alberta :s

Dreamer    96

My wife rides an IS Moss and an IS Flyboy (2012 model) and loves them both. She is 5'-6" and 130#'s.

Get her something under 4'-6" for surf style and even shorter for skim.

bhanson    12

Any local shops that demo boards? If you can make it to any of the board/boat demo events, they are very fun, and you get to demo a ton of high-end boards of both surf and skim style, at least that will allow you to narrow down the field a bit. My wife rode our 4'6" Liquid Force custom which is kinda a hybrid surf/skim, but last year picked up the 4'7" Ronix Parks Carbon and never went back to the LF. It is a "production" board but it is very light and fast, and I have seen some online stores with new Ronix Parks boards for less than $400, so that is a very nice board that fits your budget. The Ashley Kidd Menzo and the SC Jetty are awesome custom boards, but well out of your stated price range.

surf moocher    127

Any local shops that demo boards? If you can make it to any of the board/boat demo events, they are very fun, and you get to demo a ton of high-end boards of both surf and skim style, at least that will allow you to narrow down the field a bit. My wife rode our 4'6" Liquid Force custom which is kinda a hybrid surf/skim, but last year picked up the 4'7" Ronix Parks Carbon and never went back to the LF. It is a "production" board but it is very light and fast, and I have seen some online stores with new Ronix Parks boards for less than $400, so that is a very nice board that fits your budget. The Ashley Kidd Menzo and the SC Jetty are awesome custom boards, but well out of your stated price range.

I just bought this year's Park's Carbon and my wife loves it (5'7" 125).

post-826-0-81483800-1399579992_thumb.jpg

bhanson    12

I just bought this year's Park's Carbon and my wife loves it (5'7" 125).

attachicon.gifParks CC.jpg

Heads-up about the Parks Carbon board. See the black carbon bottom in the picture? If that sits in direct sun too long it cooks the foam and the outgasses will create a huge delam/blister. That was personal experience last year, and local shop quickly replaced with a new board, but not sure if they fixed that problem in this year's model. I now keep my Parks in the locker or a bag.

surf moocher    127

Heads-up about the Parks Carbon board. See the black carbon bottom in the picture? If that sits in direct sun too long it cooks the foam and the outgasses will create a huge delam/blister. That was personal experience last year, and local shop quickly replaced with a new board, but not sure if they fixed that problem in this year's model. I now keep my Parks in the locker or a bag.

Thanks for the warning.

Same thing happened to my ronix koal. I did leave it outside all day though

adambomb2000    35

Thanks for that input guys. I am keeping my eye out for a Parks Carbon...

For another option, I found a demo model of a 4'6" Zulu model from Brigade Wakesurf for $350...has anyone ever ridden one? Or any Brigade board? The Witherell boys are sponsered by them and Aaron has his own model...

bhanson    12

I rode the A-Ron and .352 Special last year. Boards were solid, looked nice, and the Brigade reps were very knowledgable. The A-Ron is a very active board, meaning it is tough to just relax in the pocket but wants to be worked and pumped the entire time (fill in your innuendo, if necessary). The .352 Special was a little more forgiving, but still not a cruiser board. We had a Zulu on the boat as well, but it was a 4'4" I think, and too short for me to meaningfully demo.

Remember, the pros are PROs that could ride a piece of plywood or 2x4, and every manufacturer has top riders that make it look easy. Do not buy a board just because of their top riders, but make sure it fits you and your style.

dejoeco    59

My daughter is a pro rider and rides the Victoria Factor and my wife tried her board and loved it. Fast and responsive and easier to carve for her ability. So I would say this board fits a wide range.

adambomb2000    35

I rode the A-Ron and .352 Special last year. Boards were solid, looked nice, and the Brigade reps were very knowledgable. The A-Ron is a very active board, meaning it is tough to just relax in the pocket but wants to be worked and pumped the entire time (fill in your innuendo, if necessary). The .352 Special was a little more forgiving, but still not a cruiser board. We had a Zulu on the boat as well, but it was a 4'4" I think, and too short for me to meaningfully demo.

Remember, the pros are PROs that could ride a piece of plywood or 2x4, and every manufacturer has top riders that make it look easy. Do not buy a board just because of their top riders, but make sure it fits you and your style.

Thanks bhanson,

I realize what pro riders ability can do for any board...not looking to buy the board (for my wife) because of their top riders. Was just asking the question because I have not heard anybody talk about the Brigade boards and felt that because Witherells are pro level, that may lend credibility to the quality of the Brigade brand. That is what I was after...'does Brigade make a quality board?'

adambomb2000    35

My daughter is a pro rider and rides the Victoria Factor and my wife tried her board and loved it. Fast and responsive and easier to carve for her ability. So I would say this board fits a wide range.

The Victorias are all skim style though, correct? I am looking at surf style for my wife...

bhanson    12

Thanks bhanson,

I realize what pro riders ability can do for any board...not looking to buy the board (for my wife) because of their top riders. Was just asking the question because I have not heard anybody talk about the Brigade boards and felt that because Witherells are pro level, that may lend credibility to the quality of the Brigade brand. That is what I was after...'does Brigade make a quality board?'

Yes, from what I saw, I would definitely say Brigade makes a quality board.

dejoeco    59

The Victorias are all skim style though, correct? I am looking at surf style for my wife...

Yes, they are all skim. My wife started surf style and switched because it was easier to manuever around. She is a mature rider at 59 years old.

video from Mothers day on the board. https://vimeo.com/94960561

surf moocher    127

Yes, they are all skim. My wife started surf style and switched because it was easier to manuever around. She is a mature rider at 59 years old.

video from Mothers day on the board. https://vimeo.com/94960561

NICE!

Bongo Fury    640

dejoeco....great video....thanks for posting. My wife is also looking for a new board and maybe skim is the way to go for her also. Thanks again!

Shaka    146

I'm seriously thinking about picking up a Victoria. In other news I finally found a CoEx for the ladies. All of them are stoked.