RhuntIII

2002 Avy Stereo upgrade

First timer    19

The 420 would solve that problem. Rhunt if you put the sub under the dash with a slotted box you will get way more sound out of that sub.

truekaotik    458

That's what I keep telling him First ;) bust his chops bro :)

Wylie_Tunes    146

I know diddly about that particular sub, but my gut says its probably better suited for a sealed enclosure. But I do agree that it would be better to locate under the helm. It would be like doubling the power to it.

truekaotik    458

Rhunt,

Look at 1 clarion m309

1 Ws420

4 Pioneer ts-mr1640

1 JL m700.5 or WS ht6

Get back to me on if the price fits the budget?

Edited by truekaotik

Wylie_Tunes    146

Rhunt,

Look at 1 clarion m309

1 Ws420

4 Pioneer ts-mr1640

1 JL m700.5 or WS ht6

Get back to me on if the price fits the budget?

His sub is a 2 ohm, so no go on bridging it on the HT-6

truekaotik    458

Yeah it was a quick suggestion... Slipped my mind..

Nick213    583

I would like to go with all marine grade, subs mounted under observation seat, as far as a price lets try to stay in the middle. I am open minded about all price ranges. Another thing I would like to do is turn off the tower speakers and just listen to the in boats.

wet sounds ws420 money well spent it gives you what you want and then some

truekaotik    458

But now that I think of it, it can work. It's a dual 4 ohms sub, just go channel direct to each coil ;) 220 watts... Rms is 200 so it will be ok still... And more controllable for him since he has it in the observers..

Edited by truekaotik

Wylie_Tunes    146

But now that I think of it, it can work. It's a dual 4 ohms sub, just go channel direct to each coil ;) 220 watts... Rms is 200 so it will be ok still... And more controllable for him since he has it in the observers..

If its a DVC 4, then rewire it inside in series to 8 ohm, then bridge. nets the same power to sub, but with only a single 2-conductor run to the sub. This would also open the door to other 6-chnl amps.

truekaotik    458

If its a DVC 4, then rewire it inside in series to 8 ohm, then bridge. nets the same power to sub, but with only a single 2-conductor run to the sub. This would also open the door to other 6-chnl amps.

True, he can also put a extra terminal on the box and switch it from 2 to 8 without ever unscrewing his sub again...

I suggested the 6 channel in hopes he would upgrade his sub, adding a separate amp and add a third set of speakers down the road, utilizing channels 5 and 6. Then upgrade towers and tower amp down the road..

Edited by truekaotik

RhuntIII    555

The tower speakers are hooked to the white amp in the photos, I would like to leave that alone. The sub in the box stays were it is. Sorry guys I understand the less of sound quality. The box is mounted on starboard to keep it off the wet carpet. I'll check on the speakers and amps suggested.

Yes each pod has its own connections with a wire ran from each speaker to the amp.

Edited by RhuntIII

Wylie_Tunes    146

True, he can also put a extra terminal on the box and switch it from 2 to 8 without ever unscrewing his sub again...

I suggested the 6 channel in hopes he would upgrade his sub, adding a separate amp and add a third set of speakers down the road, utilizing channels 5 and 6. Then upgrade towers and tower amp down the road..

I'm not fallowing the part about ever unscrewing the sub again, but the sub will have to come out of the enclosure to rewire, regardless of whether he wires the coils in series and retains the current terminal cap, or adds a 2nd cap and wires each 4 ohm coil directly to the amp. I do not see it being possible to rewire the sub coils through a 2" terminal cap hole.

Now, things brings up another point. Looking at those pics, I see a 4 chnl crossfire, which is powering the tower. This leaves the KX350.4 powering the 4 in-boats and sub. That amp will not handle a bridged 2 ohm load, so im wondering if that sub is possible a 2 ohm DVC wired in series.

RHuntIII, do you have a volt/ohm meter that you could pull the leads out of the box's terminal caps and measure the subs impedance at the terminal cap? This will insure we are all making logical amp suggestions.

truekaotik    458

I'm not fallowing the part about ever unscrewing the sub again, but the sub will have to come out of the enclosure to rewire, regardless of whether he wires the coils in series and retains the current terminal cap, or adds a 2nd cap and wires each 4 ohm coil directly to the amp. I do not see it being possible to rewire the sub coils through a 2" terminal cap hole.

Now, things brings up another point. Looking at those pics, I see a 4 chnl crossfire, which is powering the tower. This leaves the KX350.4 powering the 4 in-boats and sub. That amp will not handle a bridged 2 ohm load, so im wondering if that sub is possible a 2 ohm DVC wired in series.

RHuntIII, do you have a volt/ohm meter that you could pull the leads out of the box's terminal caps and measure the subs impedance at the terminal cap? This will insure we are all making logical amp suggestions.

It very simple actually, he is relocating the terminals on the speaker to terminals on the box, which will allow you to series or Parrallel off the back of the box, hence never pulling the speaker again if he wants a 2 ohm load down the road... ;)

On the speaker box he posted, he gave the specs in his first post, it's a R2SD4-10 which if is correct, is a dual 4 ohm 10" shallow mount R2 series Rockford speaker ;) it may be series inside or he has it wired to one channel or again bridged and it hasn't clipped the amp yet, several possibilities.. Just because a amp specs say it isn't stabile doesn't mean it won't work.... I made reference to this in other posts.. I agree it's not recommended but at time will work depending on how hard you drive the speaker to cause the amp to clip...

Edited by truekaotik

truekaotik    458

But I did just re- read the post and he says its 2ohm each? Which may suggest its not the R2SD4 but a R2SD2-10? And it's wired 4ohm so bridging the 6 channel will take no modification as its already 4 ohm ;) BTW kicker is very touchy on its 2ohm stability so I would be surprised as well if he's running it bridged 2ohm..

Wylie_Tunes    146

RHunt,

The reason I want to confirm exactly which sub you have is because there is no need to fill up page after page of theoretical amp suggestions and configurations based on uncertain gear specs. All that does is fill this thread with tons of text in which you and others have to sift through in order to pull out the relevant info.

When I search for that sub using the model umber provided, it comes back as a raw driver. What I mean by a raw driver is just the sub. What you have pictured in your opening post is a loaded sub enclosure. As a professional in the mobile audio sales and install biz, I see manufacturers label their loaded sub box in one of two ways. In the most common way I see, they will use the impedance at the terminal cap in the model number, as opposed to the actual coil impedance of the raw driver. From that, we can deduce whether its a 2 or 4 ohm dvc or s single 4, etc, but all that's important is what the amp will see when we wire it up. When we buy a raw driver, we can easily flip it over and read the label on the magnet. So if its not too inconvenient, lets confirm what the loaded sub box's impedance is at the terminal cap. Then we can lay out some realistic amp solutions and configurations.

In regards to the tower setup, thanks for confirming the towers have a binding post for each pod, let me dig up that crossfire amp and see how it compares spec wise to the kx350.4 so you can see which would be better to leave in place for the towers for now.

Thanks,

Mike

RhuntIII    555

RHunt,

The reason I want to confirm exactly which sub you have is because there is no need to fill up page after page of theoretical amp suggestions and configurations based on uncertain gear specs. All that does is fill this thread with tons of text in which you and others have to sift through in order to pull out the relevant info.

When I search for that sub using the model umber provided, it comes back as a raw driver. What I mean by a raw driver is just the sub. What you have pictured in your opening post is a loaded sub enclosure. As a professional in the mobile audio sales and install biz, I see manufacturers label their loaded sub box in one of two ways. In the most common way I see, they will use the impedance at the terminal cap in the model number, as opposed to the actual coil impedance of the raw driver. From that, we can deduce whether its a 2 or 4 ohm dvc or s single 4, etc, but all that's important is what the amp will see when we wire it up. When we buy a raw driver, we can easily flip it over and read the label on the magnet. So if its not too inconvenient, lets confirm what the loaded sub box's impedance is at the terminal cap. Then we can lay out some realistic amp solutions and configurations.

In regards to the tower setup, thanks for confirming the towers have a binding post for each pod, let me dig up that crossfire amp and see how it compares spec wise to the kx350.4 so you can see which would be better to leave in place for the towers for now.

Thanks,

Mike

mike,

There is a little square plate on the back of the sub box that is not hard to get to. I also have a ohm meter. The one one thing I don't understand is having to rewire a sub to match an amp or maybe I'm misunderstanding, wich is a good possibility.

Thanks,

Runt

PayCheck    20

something i wish i had found earlier is here, exile all in one package. all speakers with amp combos. maybe your current amps will fit the speakers and just drop the amp out and save a little from the packages by not buyin a new amp. also some great speakers in thelast link, warehouse cleanout. just some suggestions.

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/packages/cabin-speaker-amplifier/cabin-package-2.html

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/packages/tower-speaker-amplifier.html

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/bargins.html?limit=30

Wylie_Tunes    146

mike,

There is a little square plate on the back of the sub box that is not hard to get to. I also have a ohm meter. The one one thing I don't understand is having to rewire a sub to match an amp or maybe I'm misunderstanding, wich is a good possibility.

Thanks,

Runt

Thats why I would like to confirm exactly what the impedance (ohms) is right at the terminal cap of the sub box. Right now, we are all tossing out a LOT of theory and speculation on what it could be and how to best solve it. Lets step back, measure the box/sub as a complete wired setup, then we know what we've got and can list a few amp suggestions that will be good matches for the gear.

Wylie_Tunes    146
something i wish i had found earlier is here, exile all in one package. all speakers with amp combos. maybe your current amps will fit the speakers and just drop the amp out and save a little from the packages by not buyin a new amp. also some great speakers in thelast link, warehouse cleanout. just some suggestions.

http://exileaudio.co...-package-2.html

http://exileaudio.co...-amplifier.html

http://exileaudio.co...s.html?limit=30

The Class-A/B amps are 20th century technology. I would continue on the path of going with an efficient Class-D full-range. Also, having an "M" in the part number doesn't make something marine-grade. Its worth asking questions about how ones marine gear compares to others. This is especially important for speakers like tower and in-boats that get the most direct sun light and water splash.

truekaotik    458

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/packages/cabin-speaker-amplifier/cabin-package-2.html

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/packages/tower-speaker-amplifier.html

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/bargins.html?limit=30

Bro, just be careful when bargain shopping sites, check to make sure you know if its referb's or not for the price stated... ;)