Sign in to follow this  
bcollins

Snap in carpet - longevity

bcollins    18

Finally got my new carpet in, piece of cake...these things lay nice and flat so lining up the carpet and putting the snaps in was a breeze. I just used one of those snap installing anvil/hammers you buy for $5. Worked like a charm, those $150 tools are nice but not even close to necessary. Anyway, long story short...my old carpet went to crud mostly due to the rubber undercoating getting old and dried out. I would pull up the carpet and it was literally stuck to the boat. Once that was gone the carpet went to heck. So any suggestions on extending the useful life of the carpet. My old one was pretty shot when I got it. I store inside so heat, sun exposure, etc. shouldn't be an issue. Thanks.

truekaotik    458

I did the same thing B!! I have been pulling it and drying it completely out. Then wipe the rubber with a vinyl/ leather "lotion" not protectant with silicone ;) that way the rubber retains its grip but moisturized.. Works so far... :)

Praesto    25

Mine is most likely nearing the end of its life span. But as for now I am taking the advice posted above :)