Randy4life

2011 Avalanche stereo needs help LOL

Randy4life    0

BIG UPDATE!!!!!!

i ordered 2 sets of rev10s and ordered 2 of the JL MHD 750.1 to power them

ordered up my WS-420 EQ

and ordered up a JL MHD 600.4

i heard the wetsounds XS-650 today and was not that impressed with the sound quility the JL speakers sounded way better that i heard today and they were the lower model 6.5's too....

any one have experience with the JL audio MHD amps did i make the right choice?

doug743    53

they are great amps. you will love them. i am leaning the same way. i plan on getting everything next month. I KEEP waiting to see what is coming from wetsounds on there amps and subs. I need a sub and 4 tower speakers. I am getting the rev10s but not sure what sub. There has been talk of new amps, not sure, and a new sub. your boat will rock:) congrats

truekaotik    458
BIG UPDATE!!!!!!

i ordered 2 sets of rev10s and ordered 2 of the JL MHD 750.1 to power them

ordered up my WS-420 EQ

and ordered up a JL MHD 600.4

i heard the wetsounds XS-650 today and was not that impressed with the sound quility the JL speakers sounded way better that i heard today and they were the lower model 6.5's too....

any one have experience with the JL audio MHD amps did i make the right choice?

JL is BIG BOSS style buddy :-) glad your happy and excited!!!!

Randy4life    0

i talked to wet sounds about the new amps the got a new line thats coming out soon but its a more affordable line than the SYN amps so probably not the best as for the SYN amps they told me there was only cosmetic changes not the electronics for what i understand..... reason i went with the JL amps is they are all classD power...... and they are super small..... im still decieding subs but my installer wants to do 3 15" subs is what he is telling me.... im gonna need a lot of batteries omg

truekaotik    458
they are great amps. you will love them. i am leaning the same way. i plan on getting everything next month. I KEEP waiting to see what is coming from wetsounds on there amps and subs. I need a sub and 4 tower speakers. I am getting the rev10s but not sure what sub. There has been talk of new amps, not sure, and a new sub. your boat will rock:) congrats

If you want to compare another sub to the xs12 or XXX. These would be my suggestion ;-)

Xs12 would compare to a 12w3 by JL.

XXX would compare to a 12w6 by JL, I actually think its louder than the XXX...

I can compare them to any product line you suggest... This will be my personal suggestions...

Randy4life    0

my installer has his heart set on 3x15" i think running off 3 (or less depending on what subs) off the MHD750.1 he says i will feel the bass in my chect when im swimming around the boat LOL

now that i know im gonna be running all JL MHD amps what kind of battery power am i gonna need for say 3-4 hrs of play in a party cove?

eventually i will have 5 or 6 of MHD750.1 and a single MHD600.4

i was told the MHD750.1 is a full range amp and can do my tower speakers aswell as monoblock amp for subs too?

LakeSurfer    10

i was told the MHD750.1 is a full range amp and can do my tower speakers aswell as monoblock amp for subs too?

I have a HD 750 pushing 1 set of Rev 10s (350 watts to each speaker) and a HD 750 pushing a 12W6. When the Rev 410 is released, I will have a HD 750 pushing it. I went with the regular HD vs the MHD because If I get water where these amps are mounted, I have a lot more to worry about.

Edited by LakeSurfer

truekaotik    458
i talked to wet sounds about the new amps the got a new line thats coming out soon but its a more affordable line than the SYN amps so probably not the best as for the SYN amps they told me there was only cosmetic changes not the electronics for what i understand..... reason i went with the JL amps is they are all classD power...... and they are super small..... im still decieding subs but my installer wants to do 3 15" subs is what he is telling me.... im gonna need a lot of batteries omg

OMG you are gonna be DUMPIN like a dump truck !!! Bwhahahaa

You go pimp with 3- 15's!! :-)

Sorry for the comparison post. I didn't see the 15" post till after ;-)

Edited by truekaotik

truekaotik    458

I have a HD 750 pushing 1 set of Rev 10s (350 watts to each speaker) and a HD 750 pushing a 12W6. When the Rev 410 is released, I will have a HD 750 pushing it. I went with the regular HD vs the MHD because If I get water where these amps are mounted, I have a lot more to worry about.

Lake the MHD is pretty much the same price as HD ;-) but you are right!! You will have bigger problems than the amps to worry about! Lol

Randy4life    0

Im just trying to deciede now what speakers to run in the boat im not liking the XS-650 is it worth it to get the 7.7 will they fit in the factory locations on the avalanche? would my MHD600.4 be enough power for 3 pairs?

truekaotik    458

If you don't want to cut you will have to go with the JL 6.5's... If you cut, yep the would fit... The 600/4 will push them.

DavidEM    1

Here are a couple of unique aspects about the JL Audio MHD or HD (one in the same) series of amplifiers.

They are strictly regulated on both the power supply and the output section.

Power supply: The power will remain consistent from below an 11 volt supply up to a 14.4 volt supply. Where a conventional amplifier may lose 20 to 25 percent of its rated power as the voltage drops from 14.4 volts to 12.5 volts (and loses even more power as the voltage continues to sag) the HD amplifier does not drop power. It draws more or less current to offset the change in voltage. Consequently the power supply of a strictly regulated amplifier is about 30 percent stronger than that of an amplifier of equal power specs. Thats alot of headroom.

Output section: A strictly regulated output section delivers the same power from a 1.5 to a 4-ohm load. It doesn't give you a power premium at lower impedances but it does not lose power at higher impedances (within limits). As the load is reduced and current flow would normally increase the strictly regulated amplifier adjusts the supply voltage to moderate the throughput. So the output devices are always maintained in a more optimum operating range under all conditions. Distortion is lower, damping is more consistent and the output devices operate within ideal tolerances.

Very sophisticated.

The fact that these amplifiers are Class D means that they are 60 percent more efficient than a conventional Class AB and per a ratio of power delivered to the speakers only convert 25 percent of that to heat versus a Class AB amplifier.

I hope this explains a little of what these amplifiers do.

David

Earmark Marine

doug743    53

davidem, would you recomend the mhd600.4 for 6 xs 650's or the m600.6 to get the total 100 watts rms to each speaker. I already have the sub amp, will get the mhd 750.1 for the towers and have been looking at the better solution for the inboats. (same boat and setup as lakesurfer just smaller sub) thanks

Randy4life    0

Thanks David that explains it totally!!! im glad i got these amps now!!! :)

when looking at the 7.7's should i be getting the component set or the coaxial set for my boat?

DavidEM    1

doug743,

Its almost the same for six coaxials. Here is why.

The JL Audio MHD or HD600.4 would be 150 watts per side divided between two pair of cockpit speakers. That is 75 watts per each speaker. Then you have two 150 watt channels remaining to drive the bow speakers. Once you gain the bow speakers identically, which I assume that you would, you would be at an equal 75 watt per speaker level. So essentially you are running 450 watts of the potential 600 watts. But because of the regulated design you have a great deal of headroom and this amplifier will perform bigger than the rating would suggest.

The JL Audio M or XD600/6 would have a dedicated channel to each of six coaxials. It would run very conservatively at a 4-ohm load all around. It is 6x75 watts at 4-ohms or 6x100 watts at 2-ohms. So you would have the identical 450 watts of the 600 watt potential. Again, with a 600 watt power supply you have a very soft clipping amplifier and alot of extra dynamic headroom in reserve. Its just sounds clean this way.

Either amplifier sounds fantastic for this application.

Now the MHD/HD is strictly regulated while the M/XD is unregulated which is reason for the 38 percent cost reduction for the M/XD.

Sure, you can run an amplifier down to the lowest impedance to pull out the maximum power. But you don't need to. I like a conservative arrangement specifically on fullrange speakers. Distortion wise its hard to detect at lower frequencies. So the conservative operation may not always have the same sonic benefits as it does here.

David

Earmark Marine

Randy4life    0

now that i have dedicated to JL amps im thinking i may aswell go with JL subs.... what would work best for being "THAT GUY" on the water i know my installer has his heart set on 15's but i really dont want differant brand subs... knowing that i would be running MHD750.1 for my subs and would want 3 subs to get that bass to hit you in the chest when your in the water LOL what would be the best for me? i would think that running a maximum of 3 MHD750.1 would be what im aiming for if not less but they are not that powerful LOL please help Dave ;) i was looking online and 3 13w6v2 would probably work best but im online going off the wattage rating of the subs? and what about the 7.7's would i get coaxials or components to run off my MHD600.4? THANKS GUYS I CANT WAIT TO GET THE PICTURES GOING!

Randy4life    0

just curious but what way would you wanna face the subs in a ported enclosure in the drivers helm is the any pics someone can offer for example? im going with 3 so it might be hard to face them all the same way what would i wanna do?

LakeSurfer    10

davidem, would you recomend the mhd600.4 for 6 xs 650's or the m600.6 to get the total 100 watts rms to each speaker. I already have the sub amp, will get the mhd 750.1 for the towers and have been looking at the better solution for the inboats. (same boat and setup as lakesurfer just smaller sub) thanks

Doug; the reason I went with 6 channel on the in-boats was because I wanted to be able to control the volume of the bow speakers seperately. My kids ride/hand out up front a lot. This way I can turn the volume down in the bow while I have the tunes going in the back.

DavidEM    1

Randy,

You will have a 13 percent reduction in surface area from a 15-inch sub to a 13.5-inch sub which isn't a big deal and at least that same reduction in enclosure dimensions. There is typically a .67 dB difference between the output of a 13.5-inch and 15-inch sub. Again, not a big difference. Keep in mind that 1 dB is considered the threshold of audibility. To put that into perspective there is a 3 dB difference in the output of a sealed versus bass-reflex enclosure. Now that is the equivalent of doubling your amplifier power which is far more significant. A 13W6 stipulates a bass-reflex enclosure of 3.32 cu.ft. external displacement. You are going to be fortunate to fit one of those under the driver's helm console. So before ordering woofers I would allow the boat to dictate the maximum enclosure displacement and that in turn should dictate your woofer/enclosure selection. This is the only logical sequence.

In my experience a W6 series has lower moving mass, requires less enclosure, is more responsive to power and is the ideal subwoofer for an open field application versus a W7 series. Although I would still consider a W7 my reference woofer for a vehicle cabin where the conditions are very different.

I see alot of woofer lines where the 10, 12 and 15-inch model of the same series has the identical voice coil length, voice coil diameter, spider diameter and motor structure size. That type of engineering does not impress me. With each different model of JL Audio W6 all of these elements are unique to that particular speaker.

We have learned from experience that JL Audio is more conservative on their woofer thermal ratings and that in a open field boat you need to be at the top of those power ratings if you want to reach the dynaimic potential...meaning contrast and attack, not necessarily volume. I wouldn't hesitate to use the JL Audio 1000/1 amplifier on the 13W6 if you know how to care for it. But if you are going to drive the amplifier into compression then stay with the HD750/1.

To answer your question about the coaxial versus separates. The components of both are identical in the M series. So if your coaming speakers are all above the seat cushion level there is no advantage to the separates. If your speakers are lower in the bench seat console and you have a plan for aiming the tweeters then the separates would have an advantage. Ideally when using separates you would like to keep the tweeter close to the same vertical line as the midbass driver and limit the vertical separation although you have a bit more latitude here. If you remote mount the tweeter by too much distance it will actually sound detached and diminish much of the benefit of these speakers.

David

Earmark Marine

Wylie_Tunes    146

A typical 4 chnl amp will allow for bow/main-cabin separation. One can use the head-units fade function, a simple RCA level controller or a periphrial such as an EQ or zone controller.