Randy4life

2011 Avalanche stereo needs help LOL

Randy4life    0

i got a 2011 avy (with gladiator tower) last season with 4 skylon 175 towers and 4 skylon in-boat speakers and a skylon 10" sub in ported box in cubby being run off of a kicker marine ZXM700.5 and ZXM450.2 and a MB quat head unit.......i am not very happy with it at all :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

with that being said im am just getting my boat back from servicing soon and gonna start my stereo build i was looking at going with

headunit - help whats the best?

WS-420 of coarse or is there a better option?

6 pairs of XS-650 in boat speakers but got no clue what to power them with?

Wanted to go with either 3 XS-12 subs with one being in the drivers footwell and 2 in the cubby or 2 XS-XXX subs in drivers foot well both being in custom fiberglass boxes , what would i want to power those 2 setups and would i go sealed boxes i like tight bass?

now to start with the tower what is best best for me? Rev10's or Rev8's or Pro80's? i wanna have 6 facing rear of boat and 2 facing the front bow area of the boat its obviously gonna require some fabrication but would you do just drill and tap the tower or try and build brackets off the exsisting speaker mounting locations?

i think thats enough questions to start any help would be awesome im startting building next week and need a plan of action :band:

truekaotik    458

How much money you have to play with?? WETSOUNDS is top of the food chain for marine ;-) plus it sounds like you want ultra custom set up trying to run 3 12's. Remember money for batteries, caps (some like some dont)and chargers if your gonna run so much power. You can get away with 4 rev 10's on the tower, 2 forward, 2 back. Each off a syn4... But I would buy H2okings pro 485's to save money and use one less amp, that's 1300 for H's and 2500 for rev 10's.. You loose the forward facing speakers but you don't need it really with what you would have... It can get expensive FAST!! Lol

Edited by truekaotik

truekaotik    458

Also I would keep your head unit if getting the ws420eq. It really will only be used as a player, the EQ will be what runs the set up... That will save money also... 6 inboat xs will be awesome but JL has 7" marine inboats that rock just a bit more stable and louder.... Would you like to stay all one brand specific?

Randy4life    0

i like the idea of all speakers being the same brand and all the amps being the same brand . after doing some reading everyone is going for the rev10 maybe i should just get 4 to start but what would i want to power that pair of pro485's?

Edited by Randy4life

Randy4life    0

that pair of 485's is very tempting actaully im really concidering them now LOL

how or what would i need to mount the 485's to my gladiator tower?

Edited by Randy4life

truekaotik    458

You can start with the 485's facing rear with a syn4 to start your tower setup, later if you want flip them forward and add 2 rev10's on another syn4... That will keep brand specific like you asked. To mount them you will need to contact WETSOUNDS and get the proper bracket set up cause I do believe H's are for tube towers... Saves money up top to start and do it big interior wise like you want ;-)

Can't wait to see or hear which way this build goes b/c I want to redo my stereo. That sounds like it will be a monster!

DavidEM    1

Randy4life,

Is this system and the excess being designed primarily for use at rest and supplying entertainment for the group?

Otherwise I was wondering who the forward facing speakers would be directed at when underway?

The REV10s with a swivel bracket would allow you the freedom of rotating a pair to the front when needed and serve dual roles. Even if they would be too close together to swivel you can remove, rotate and re-install at 180 degrees.

Its relatively easy to install nutserts (a large threaded rivet) just like the factory speaker mounting hardware so that you are not relegated to the factory locations. This would allow a little more positioning latitude for spacing more speakers on the tower. And its one of several methods to install Pro485s on a flat arch-type tower.

Whichever Wetsounds tower speakers you choose I would recommend the identical size of speaker rather than a dissimilar mix which never sum and utilize power as efficiently.

If you like tight bass then the issue really isn't sealed or ported. Some of the very best contemporary studio monitors and esoteric home speakers are bass-reflex and those users are hyper critical when it comes to bass SQ.

Sealed often sounds better in an enclosed vehicle because the higher and more gradual roll-off may correspond very well with the "cabin effect" (2nd order rising characteristic) below the cabin resonance. Sometimes the two opposing response curves can be a near perfect offset creating a very linear response. But in a boat's open field environment you need all the low frequency extension and leverage you can possibly get. And bass-reflex will deliver an extra 3 dB of output (equivalent to double the power) in the most crucial bass region. The subwoofer that never exposes its limitations will almost always sound the best. And tuning a ported system for well-damped SQ versus a peaky version just for maximum SPL makes all the difference.

Also, for tight bass you want to collect your woofers in a single location if possible and symmetrically loaded for better phase coherency.

Sometimes its not always possible with space limitations but its a goal worth shooting for.

These are all just general system and acoustic guidelines that I recommend. There is a lot more involved in getting the best performance from your investment.

The foundation of any serious system is the voltage supply and charging system. The larger the system the more complex this area becomes. You cannot overlook it.

David

Earmark Marine

Randy4life    0

you hit the nail on the button its deffinetly for supplying entertainment for a group, aswell as for wakeboarding and gonna try surfing this season coming up.....

so what would be best option for sub then having the box made in the drivers foot well ported towards the rrear of the boat? which way would i go with the subs XS-12 X 2 or the XS-XXX X 2 ?

Randy4life    0

Thanks so much David your info is helping this take shape from what you wrote this is what i come up with :) im assuming if i went with 2 pairs of rev10's , 2 of the XS-XXX subs , and 3 pairs of XS-650 in boats what would i need for powering them to their fullest potential? this is what i think will be ideal for me but any more suggestions are greatly appreciated

( i honestly want to have 8 tower speakers but gonna start with the 2 pair of rev10 BUT knowing i want a total of 8 would i go with something smaller REV8s or the PRO80s instead of the rev10s?)

Edited by Randy4life

DavidEM    1

Rany4life,

I really like the Wetsounds XS-12 and it is the right choice when matched with more moderate power. But from the way you are describing your system objectives I don't see any other way than to go with the beast...and the XXX-12 can be an absolute jackhammer when you want it to be.

In a prior Wetsounds demo boat they had a single bass-reflex XXX under the driver's helm and dual sealed XXX inside the port ski locker. The single bass-reflex dominated.

In the more recent Wetsounds demo boat they used a bass-reflex XXX on both sides and went to a great deal of effort to make sure that the two subs were very symmetrically loaded in every way. That is not easy to do in a daily driver versus an all out showboat. You should study his photos to see what I mean.

David

Earmark Marine

DavidEM    1

Randy4life,

To answer your question about tower speakers...

Lets say for example that the effective surface area of an 8-inch is 32.02 sq.in. and the surface area of a 10-inch is 53.48 sq.in.

The total piston area of six REV10s would be 320.88 sq.in.

The total piston area of eight REV8s would be 256.16 sq.in.

Can you guess which one will be louder?

So lay it out on your tower to find which combination of the identical speaker without a mix offers the most radiating area.

Also there is one other factor to consider if you are going for a dramatic presentation. Six 8-inch speakers will play stupid loud but will not go any lower than a single 8-inch. A 10-inch in a larger pod displacement has an inherently lower resonance with deeper midbass extension.

David

Earmark Marine

LakeSurfer    10

My quick thoughts

1. I would go with 2 Rev 10s on the tower and leave enought space to hang a Rev 410 (the new Pro485) in the center of the tower (you will have to tap the tower to do this) when it comes out in a few months.

2. Sub: I had the XXX pushed by a Syn 1in my last boat. It was nice and hit hard, but it did not seam to "keep up" with the quicker base lines that well. I now have the 12W6 with HD 750 in my new boat and I like it better. So based on what you are trying to accomplish, I would try a JL 13w7 (or a 12W7 if the box does needs to be smaller)

3. 3 pair of WS XS 650

4 Amps: I ran all WS amps in my last boat. They are nice, but I think there are better amps out there for the same $ or same amp out there for less money.

BTW: you could not hang 2 Pro 485s on your tower.

Edited by LakeSurfer

Randy4life    0

based on that i think i need to get 2 of the xs-12 i think they might hit harder on a SYN1 i like the idea of the rev410 i never knew they had them coming out

Edited by Randy4life

DavidEM    1

I sure agree with a single REV410 in the middle and a pair of the REV10s to the outside. It fills the tower and maintains the same 10-inch drivers.

In that case you could use a bridged Syn2 on the single REV410 and a bridged Syn4 on the pair of REV10s.

David

Earmark Marine

Randy4life    0

im sold on starting with 2 sets of REV10's then adding a rev410 when they release them i cant wait to get everything ordered im gonna start my order tomorrow tons of pics to come :)

David what would you recommend for amps?

2 pairs REV10

3 pairs XS-650

still not sure what subs im gonna do the fiberglass ported box with the port firing towards the rear of the boat and try to have them both facing the rear aswell..... but what subs are gonna be best? i dont like hearing that a SYN1 doesnt power a single XXX very much so im leaning towards getting the 2 XS-12 but would a single SYN1 power them? im a bass junkie

(i got 2 MTX 12" 9500's in a custom ported box into the cab of my car running off TE4001D and sometimes i dont think its enough LOL)

Edited by Randy4life

DavidEM    1

Two pair REV10s....two bridged Syn4s.

Three pair XS-650s...one Syn4.

David

Earmark Marine

Randy4life    0

awesome thanks David im gonna get

3 pairs XS-650 running on SYN4

2 pairs REV10 running off two bridged SYN4

now to figure out the subs 2 XS-12? XXX? what amp?

LakeSurfer    10

Other Amp Options vs Syn 4

Tower

Arc Audio 300.2

JL HD 750/1

In boat

Arc Audio 300.4

JL HD 600/4

truekaotik    458
My quick thoughts

1. I would go with 2 Rev 10s on the tower and leave enought space to hang a Rev 410 (the new Pro485)

Lol everyone is gonna run my set up :-(, plus I see you believe what I said about the rev410 now :-)

Edited by truekaotik