DrNate

Better wakesurf rack?

LakeSurfer    10

this problem is easy to fix, just by a Fly Boy. They are built a lot stronger than the Shredd Stixx/JWP/Soulcraft. I have never had an issue with any of my boards. Granted, my surf spot is 200yrs from where I drop the boat in the water.

Also, I have been told that if you sneeze on a Shredd Stixx/Soulcraft they will dent or crack. So you do really need to be very careful with those boards.

h20king    794

Lake I have never had that problem with my soulcraft.Even the soulcraft demo boards passed around at the gathering held up great but any custom board will suffer damage if droped..................................H

duffymahoney    10

I'm not trying to be a jerk or a broken record, just trying to help fellow guys out and protect the expensive investment. I think it's awesome people are buying custom boards. I keep my customs in board bags when not in racks and try to keep them as nice- new looking as possible. The inland surfer flyboy will be way tougher then mine or most customs. My old production Ja Mako is built like a tank and I leave it in a normal surf rack with zero issues. Wish I could post pictures of my racks. Someone needs to copy the design and start selling them.

doug743    53

i am not saying they have not been good racks, i am just saying that some surf boards are soo soft, it doesnt take much to damage them. as for a fly boy, i am 6'4, i wish i could fit on the majority of boards. i have a swallow is that has been bullet proof and a bunch of otheres. but my custom hazen is crazy fragile.

h20king    794

I'm not sure on the technical reason but the soulcraft boards are quite durable for a custom.I know some of you guys are big shredstixx fans but maybe what they are missing is love.Jeff hand makes every board where as shredstixx uses different shapers for their custom boards and even still have some of their boards made in china.I understand your concerns with protecting your investment but I have not had the problems you speak of with my soulcraft.....................................H

duffymahoney    10

Ok Lake was right I was over my limit! Here is what I did.

Here is what I did. I basically took a stock wakeboard rack cut out the middle finger then, ground down the aluminum a little so ¾ pvc would barely slip over it. Then put the dakine pads over. I cut the pvc to the exact length of the pads. I then used marine quick 5200 to glue the pad foam to the pvc so they didn’t come off. I also used a little padding on the U part of the fork to protect the boards rails.

Edited by duffymahoney

h20king    794

I'm sure they work great but esthetically I think they need some work.I could never chop up my $700 Samson racks.And could not bring myself to put a lesser brand on my boat...................................H

Edited by h20king

duffymahoney    10

Wow, thanks H. You have way of putting things that is just off. I am trying to help someone protect their boards, not win a beauty contest. I'm sorry if i came off any other way. Niceracks, samsons are all nice and well built..... Just in my experience, they were not enough. I spend way too much time on these forums and I try to be knowledgeable and helpful. A lot of these things I post I have tried myself and either they didn't work or needed refinement. The wakeboard racks came on my boat and I could care less about them. I think I looked them up before I cut them and they were worth like 150 bucks each. My custom surf racks are the first thing most people compliment me when they see the boat and they know anything about wakesurfing. We have a local here that shapes really cool boards and he might start making them.

Ok let's get back on topic. Here is a rack that got great reviews for high end boards. I believe they were called endless wave or something. If memory serves me, they are

h20king    794

Sorry bro that is not what I meant.Guess I should have been more specific.I love your concept I just think it needs a little finishing.I spent big $$$ on the Samson racks so I don't have the heart to cut them up and have to many boards to Carry to turn a double rack into a single rack.I would however be interested in the inside measurements and finger length so I can talk to Samson about making me a set of double forks with a finger thick enough so I can just slide on the pads and roll.When I said I could not bring myself to put a lesser brand rack on my boat what I meant was buy a cheep made in china rack to modify to replace my Samson racks.If you already have a set of racks that you are willing to sacrifice this is a good option.Again sorry if you took my post the wrong way..........................................H

LakeSurfer    10

Random Thoughts:

1. Duffy: Great idea on the racks. I dont think I would do it just from an aesthetics point, but they would definitely keep your boards in good shape. I wonder if somebody makes a double kneeboard rack. I bet by the time you add the pads it would be very close.

2. Early when I said "Nice Racks is out of business", I was really thinking about Endless Wave. Sorry Nice Racks :thumbsup:

3. Personally, I think the best option for high end boards is the Endless Wave if it will fit on your tower or I would go with something like what ocean surfers use on their cars. These guys make one. I was thinking about adding it next year

http://innovativemar...ccessories.html

Edited by LakeSurfer

LakeSurfer    10

Lake I have never had that problem with my soulcraft.Even the soulcraft demo boards passed around at the gathering held up great but any custom board will suffer damage if droped..................................H

I am not knocking Shred Stixx/Soulcraft. I was being a little sarcastic. But to be honest, one of the main reason I have not pulled the trigger on a board like that is because I dont want to worry every time the boat his a bump or somebody accidentally hits my board. I am already paranoid about my FB. I cant imagine what a PITA I would be with a more fragile board.

duffymahoney    10

They are crazy fragile, but the new ones with S-glass and carbon are better- stronger. You can always order more glass or higher weight glass to add strength, but will add weight. I had an older poly walker bullet board and I could crush it with my fingers. But boy was it light, I don't think anyone is using poly anymore. I have never seen an endless rack in person but there are lots of people that are fans. I don't use my bimini year round (it's much colder here) so a bimini rack wouldn't be a great option for me.I hope someone just builds something better. I think I am going to make my racks swing in next year for ease.

DrNate    426

Well, first of all, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest :)

I had an endless wave rack on my last boat. I loved it and it worked very well. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with my current tower and I sold it. And as everyone has pointed out, they are out of business now.

I love your innovation Duffy. If you started selling those I would seriously consider buying some.

It's nice to know that SoulCraft's boards aren't THAT fragile. I'm gonna be careful with mine, but good to know. I used to have a Shredd Stixx board and it was all pitted and dinged after one season, but I was pretty hard on it. My Soulcraft is gonna have some carbon fiber in it also.

I do like the bimini top surfrack, but it would be very difficult to get the boards. MIne is really high.

I think for now I'll just leave the new board in the sock when I put it in the rack and take it out during rough water.

Edited by DrNate

TobyT    0

Nate not to burst your bubble, but the Soulcraft boards are extremely fragile! Just ask Darkside, remember demo board took a pretty good chunk out of the tail. Since then I've had a couple nicks in the rail myself.

h20king    794

Nate not to burst your bubble, but the Soulcraft boards are extremely fragile! Just ask Darkside, remember demo board took a pretty good chunk out of the tail. Since then I've had a couple nicks in the rail myself.

Toby the demo boards sent to the gathering were both made in four days and sent to the gathering and put on the water before they had a chance to completely cure.Jeff just wanted to make sure the crew members had a couple boards to try and was not concerned with the boards making it back to Idaho.When I had my custom made Jeff said not to ride it for two weeks.The soulcraft boards are more fragile than boards like the inland and can be damaged with direct impact to the board or the edges but they are not as susceptible to dents as boards like the older walker boards or the custom shredstixx boards.Jeff recently added a new hot box so he can cure the boards at a higher temperature so they are more durable and will tolerate more heat.I am not saying they are bullet proof just that if your careful don't leave them roasting in the sun and don't allow them to flop in the racks they stand up well when compared to other custom boards...............................................H

Edited by h20king

duffymahoney    10

The new custom shred stixx will be much more durable then before. Carbon, S-glass etc... it will all help.

islander033    2

This ^^^ is exactly what I was thinking myself.

What do you say Mr. Darksider?

DarksideR    1,679

This ^^^ is exactly what I was thinking myself.

What do you say Mr. Darksider?

I have no idea WHAT you are talking about :innocent::rolleyes:

Was trying to avoid talking about that. But in all honesty, that board took a pretty hard impact and had... not too bad of damage... sorta. Did anyone catch the quick clip in my video that showed how it happened? I had to put it in, no matter how much it pains me to see it. Sorry again Toby.

I don't really care for the direction of which this thread has gone. I think it's great that people show their love for the boards and companies that make them, but, the more you keep pushing it, claiming one better/more durable, the less I'm starting to like it. Custom boards... in fact, all fiberglass boards are fragile. Some more than others.

duffymahoney    10

Sorry if I hurt this thread! I was just trying to help. I have been through this rack issue myself for the last 3 years and finally found something I am happy with.