Foiler    1

Looks like a killer system!! If I was to do it all over again, I would actually consider doing what you are doing and using these Johnson pumps. I went the aerator route which does have several advantages but the one thing that I don't like is they are not good at completely emptying the bag. That shouldn't be a problem for you, especially since you put the check valves on the vents.

LakeSurfer    10

Looks like a killer system!! If I was to do it all over again, I would actually consider doing what you are doing and using these Johnson pumps. I went the aerator route which does have several advantages but the one thing that I don't like is they are not good at completely emptying the bag. That shouldn't be a problem for you, especially since you put the check valves on the vents.

I think is should be a great system.

Elite95    1
ballast.pdfI have been reading this post since it started and have found the information contained here very helpful. I also upgraded my ballast system. Finished the project last weekend. Here is a drawing of my upgraded system.

Red Falcon    1

Great info guys. I am upgrading my Falcon ballast system in the next few week. This has help me witht eh pumps layout but any info for the wiring. Can two pumps go off the stock switchs?

good work guys.

LakeSurfer    10

Great info guys. I am upgrading my Falcon ballast system in the next few week. This has help me witht eh pumps layout but any info for the wiring. Can two pumps go off the stock switchs?

good work guys.

I think it has been determined that you would need to add a relay to run more than 1 pump off of 1 rocker switch.

LakeSurfer    10

Taking the boat tomorrow to get the new ballast system installed :thumbsup: I just cant wait, nearly 2,000lbs of ballast filled or emptied in 7 mins.

Edited by LakeSurfer

Taking the boat tomorrow to get the new ballast system installed :thumbsup: I just cant wait, nearly 2,000lbs of ballast filled or emptied in 7 mins.

:trevorlikesthisverymuch:

T

LakeSurfer    10

Well all five pumps are in and he is just finishing up the wiring. He is going to lake test it on Tues and I am going to pick it up next weekend when I get back in town. I have made a lot of mods to the boat, but I think I am most excited about this one.

post-465-0-98744900-1299371425_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-88058000-1299371436_thumb.jpg

Edited by LakeSurfer

Bigcatpt    408

Well all five pumps are in and he is just finishing up the wiring. He is going to lake test it on Tues and I am going to pick it up next weekend when I get back in town. I have made a lot of mods to the boat, but I think I am most excited about this one.

That is awesome!!! Its hard to tell from the picture... it looks like one pump is on each side where the factory mounts them... and then are the other three right across the middle there???? If so, how did they mount them there?

LakeSurfer    10

That is awesome!!! Its hard to tell from the picture... it looks like one pump is on each side where the factory mounts them... and then are the other three right across the middle there???? If so, how did they mount them there?

I have not seen the boat yet. I will take a lot of pics when I get it back and post. But they fabricated something that allowed them to mount 3 across the middle and put one on each side.

I have high hopes for how it is going to work. The system is set up to run 3 pumps at once and all off their own intake (all 5 pumps are on their own switch, so I can run all 5 at once but that is not the idea).

Edited by LakeSurfer

Bigcatpt    408

I have not seen the boat yet. I will take a lot of pics when I get it back and post. But they fabricated something that allowed them to mount 3 across the middle and put one on each side.

I have high hopes for how it is going to work. The system is set up to not run more than 3 pumps at once and all off their own intake.

Sounds like a great set up!

I am also curious to see where they put all the intakes. I don't know how they had room for 5 of them! :thumbsup:

I am also curious to see how it does running 3 pumps at once. We are getting surfmoocher set up with a 7 pump system (3 impeller and 4 aerator). How many batteries are you running?

I can't wait to see more upclose pictures!!!

LakeSurfer    10

Sounds like a great set up!

I am also curious to see where they put all the intakes. I don't know how they had room for 5 of them! :thumbsup:

I am also curious to see how it does running 3 pumps at once. We are getting surfmoocher set up with a 7 pump system (3 impeller and 4 aerator). How many batteries are you running?

I can't wait to see more upclose pictures!!!

There are only 3 intakes. I have 4 batteries (2 starter and 2 stereo).

here is the diagram again.

Visio-Avy Ballast System (3 thru-hull) 1-28-11.pdf

Edited by LakeSurfer

LakeSurfer    10

Well the installer just put the boat in the water to test the system. My custom Avy sac filled in 5 min 20 sec!! He told me the "sacs look alive they fill so fast." I really cant wait to see them it in person.

Here are a few more pics he took.

post-465-0-68490800-1299700680_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-13080500-1299700687_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-81638200-1299700692_thumb.jpg

islander033    2

Well the installer just put the boat in the water to test the system. My custom Avy sac filled in 5 min 20 sec!! He told me the "sacs look alive they fill so fast." I really cant wait to see them it in person.

Here are a few more pics he took.

Wicked fill time!

Bigcatpt    408

My custom Avy sac filled in 5 min 20 sec!! He told me the "sacs look alive they fill so fast."

"THE'RE ALIVE"! Love the fill time!!!!

Foiler    1

Wow that is pretty fast! Is that with just 2 pumps like your diagram shows or did you install crossovers so that 4 pumps could be used. I thought Bigcatpt had the same system (on one side only) and was in the 7 minute range (not sure, just kinda remember mention of 7 minutes.

duffymahoney    10

What rpm do you have to hold for the pumps to get enough juice?

Bigcatpt    408

Wow that is pretty fast! Is that with just 2 pumps like your diagram shows or did you install crossovers so that 4 pumps could be used. I thought Bigcatpt had the same system (on one side only) and was in the 7 minute range (not sure, just kinda remember mention of 7 minutes.

Mine is a 7 minute fill time running 2 johnson pumps off a 1 1/4 inch thru hull for a custom sac that holds 1530#s of water. No sprinker valves to restrict flow.

Duffy, both pumps will run just fine without the engine running. However I always make sure the engine is running and rev'd up when I first turn the pumps on(for the first time each day) to make sure the impellers don't stick and pop a fuse. After the first time each day you don't even need the engine running to fill or empty. Most of the time we have the motor on while filling and emptying because we are headed out of the marina or headed into the marina. It takes about 5 minutes to go wakeless out of our marina.

duffymahoney    10

Mine is a 7 minute fill time running 2 johnson pumps off a 1 1/4 inch thru hull for a custom sac that holds 1530#s of water. No sprinker valves to restrict flow.

Duffy, both pumps will run just fine without the engine running. However I always make sure the engine is running and rev'd up when I first turn the pumps on(for the first time each day) to make sure the impellers don't stick and pop a fuse. After the first time each day you don't even need the engine running to fill or empty. Most of the time we have the motor on while filling and emptying because we are headed out of the marina or headed into the marina. It takes about 5 minutes to go wakeless out of our marina.

In my last boat my first system was impellers (3 of them)which I eventually replaced. and I had to run the engine while filling or the pumps sounded funny.

duffymahoney    10

Also if you were switching sides wouldn't you have 4 of these massive pumps going? I mean draining one sac and filling the other?