banda1494    0

So i got stranded yesterday. We were out cruising and hit a big wave that scared my 7 year old--boat was still running fine. We finished cruising over to our spot to hang out and shut down. Later went to fire back up and it attempted to start but never made it to idle. Next attempts to start it turned over but never started. I checked for water in the fuel filter but nothing. Fuel comes from the schrader valve on the manifold. Changed the coil and nothing different. Battery is good--checked at store and reads 12.7. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance

Brian

David    0

Was it cranking slower than normal?

If so you might consider changing out the battery just to be safe. The battery in my wife’s car tested out fine by both the dealer and auto part store. But the stupid car would not start after running the hearer fan and lights while driving. New Battery and the thing fires right up every time now.

banda1494    0

Checked kill switch-- it seemed to be good. Is there a test for the kill switch besides running and pulling it? and it was turning over at the same rate during first start up. Charging battery now and will try in the morning with fresh battery charge. It already ruined a boys night out while on vacation.

Bigcatpt    408
Checked kill switch-- it seemed to be good. Is there a test for the kill switch besides running and pulling it? and it was turning over at the same rate during first start up. Charging battery now and will try in the morning with fresh battery charge. It already ruined a boys night out while on vacation.

When the boat is running that is how you could test it to see if it is working. When its not running its hard to eliminate the kill switch from the puzzle. The only way is to bypass it by disconnecting the wires and hooking them together.

One test I have seen is if the kill switch is pulled and you turn the key on the instruments do not move to the zero point on the tach and speedo. THe volt and fuel gauges do not move up to the correct position.

There are connections for wires on the back of the kill switch. 4 terminals, but you only use 2 that are cross from each other, if you hook to the wrong pair then the switch works backwards. In another words, it will only run with the lanyard pulled if it is backwards.

Good Luck,

Kevdawg62    0

I don't know if I will be of any help but I'm at the lake right now. We just took the kids out boarding then everyone wanted to jump in when I tried to start it, it didn't It cranked over just like always. There was a sound missing though. When I usually start the boat and turn the key on I hear the fuel pump prime the system this time I did not here it. I tried for 5-10 minutes wiggling all the cable connections I could be under the hatch. Then out I turn the key and I heard the fuel pump prime the system. Away I went and didn't shut down the engine for the rest of the session I felt lucky to get it started again. Now it's at the dock and I can look under the hood, any ideas where to go from here?

This could be the problem you are having. Do you hear that fuel pump priming the system sound?

I don't know the fix because I wiggled every connection I'm not sure which connection fixed it or even if that is what fixed it.

Check for that fuel pump sound!

Someone else post where we sound look next if that is our issue!

Thanks

banda1494    0

I still and always got the fuel pump sound. I think I have found my problem--ignition sensor module in the distributor. I will let everyone know tomorrow. I am trying to pick the part up tomorrow. Mine seems to be ignition and not fuel. Good luck finding your problem. I have learned alot tearing mine apart.

Kevdawg62    0

I'm going to get a new 882751 fuse and see if that is the issuse the problem has been on and off. Glad you found your issues.

fastjohnny    0
I still and always got the fuel pump sound. I think I have found my problem--ignition sensor module in the distributor. I will let everyone know tomorrow. I am trying to pick the part up tomorrow. Mine seems to be ignition and not fuel. Good luck finding your problem. I have learned alot tearing mine apart.

I assume you have changed your cap and rotor. I've had them go bad sooner than I would think they should, causing starting problems. Most recently, mine would start fine when cold, but once up to temp, would run fine, but if you shut off and tried to restart, you may or may not get lucky. New cap and rotor took care of it.

banda1494    0

So the boat is fixed-- it was the module sensor in the distributor. So I changed the cap, rotor, wires and coil before changing the sensor. So I fixed the boat while giving it a tune up. Thanks for everyone's help. I will try to pass on the experience I have gained during my vacation(supposed to be baoting not working on the boat).

Brian

Bring

On

Another

Thou$and