SeattleCyclone

Replacment Prop suggestions for '03 Cyclone (3 or 4 blade, pitch?)

bcollins    18

if you have the 1:1 ratio tranny you want a 3 blade acme. I run the 525 which I think is a good middle ground prop.

islander033    2
Looking to improve gas milege and gain some torque. Any suggestions?

That's a tough one to achieve.

What prop do you currently have?

Don't be afraid to call ACME or OJ to see what they recommend.

kgordon7378    0

As stated above you are trying to go two different directions, in which a prop cannot do. If you are needing more torque because you are running balasts, weight, etc then you can drop the pitch on your prop. This will essentiallly lower you speed, thus to maintain the same speed, you will use more fuel, yet you will still reduce your top speed. The line between the two is a personal preference and you must give and take on the two.

Bigcatpt    408

Can't help you on the gas milage. Your screwed there! For more torque it will depend on what prop you are currently running. But probably the acme 525, 653, or 911....

I have a brass 3 blade that had some damage when I purchased the boat. I am going to have it repaired and keep it as a spare. On the prop by the nut is says 653 13X11.5 V L 1

Its a 5.7 mercruiser

Thanks

Most important would be performance. I understand what your saying about the torque. By gaining torque I will probably lose some mpg. My boat seems a little sluggish out of the hole but I was used to a mastercraft 197 before. Could just be me not used to it. I would rather have it not work so hard getting out of the hole and sacrifice some top speed though.

Amazing how fast I could cruise rough water over the holiday weekend. Again probably just me used to the ski boats but it sure made it nice when things are rough on the water.

bcollins    18

I don't run a ton of weight, none alot of the time because of the kids, so the 525 suits me well. works well when I do load it up a little and also when surfing. If the 653 is sluggish, I think its basically the same prop as the 525 with a slightly different cup size, than you are either running a good amount of ballast or the damage is effecting performance significantly. If you're running alot of weight the 911 might be your choice but that prop is pretty extreme from what I remember. Couple guys on here use, or have used, that prop so they will likely chime in.

Audionly101    39

I'm running a completely different boat, but the same drive-line (trans, v-drive, engine) I believe. I'm running the 911 now as I run quite a bit of weight for surfing / wakeboarding. I think the 911 may actually have helped my gallons per hour under load. My rpms are up slightly if at all but the engine is running MUCH further back in the throttle so it is dumping far less fuel to gain and maintain speed. With my 911, my Elite V now tops out right around 42 mph at basically no elevation (600-700ft). But as others have said, give ACME a call or your local Acme dealer for some advise.

is the 911 a 4 blade prop?

i am running port and center hard tanks and two other soft bags while surfing with six or so people.

i don't think the prop dings were affecting performance.

bcollins    18

911 is a 3 blade. Acme recommends 3 blades for the 1:1 transmissions. Here is a link to the props, upper right hand corner. Now that I look at it the 911 isn't to far off from the 653 or 525, probably a good prop for you but like everyone says, give them a call...very helpful.

http://www.acmemarine.com/prop-list_ski-boat.php

Bigcatpt    408
Acme told me 911 would improve torque over my 653 with my set up.

Correct. Your 653 (same as 525 essentially) is the second most aggressive prop that Acme makes. The 911 is the only choice to step up the torque or hole shot. My boat came stock with the 653 and it struggled to keep over 10 mph for surfing with heavy ballast. So I switched to the 911. It did the trick. You will like the performance difference. Much better hole shot, better speed for surfing with 2200 lbs of ballast, and only lost about 2 MPH off of top end......