Fernslinger

Towable on the Tower

Fernslinger    0

I have always used the tower to pull our 2 person tube. We just got a big ole 4 person couch towable thingy as a gift and was wondering if it is ok to use the tower. I have never seen a difinative answer on this subject...what do you guys do?

WakeDoc    471

I would never use the tower, to much load, we have always used the ski pylon when we never tow a tube.

MANDC    0

X2. Not worth the rick. Use the ski pylon or tow hooks from the rear.

LakeSurfer    10

x3. I have heard very bad things can happen, especially the tower snapping/cracking. If you are not worried about that, I would only do it with adults because you are going to make that tube go flying:)

duramat    462

I would not chance it. I just had a weld completely fail on my tower, I don't know how but regardless not good. I actually use one of them airhead straps that connect to the eyelets on the back transom

• Like 1

There is a sticker on my tower that says do not pull tubes with the tower. Makes a lot so sense to me. When I pull a tube with my ski tow bar and someone falls off it really jerks the boat around. And the one tube that we have that has a open top has at times flipped and taken on a lot of water and it really pulls hard on the boat. I would never ever pull a tube or anything but a rider with my tower.

X99 - Never pull a tube on a tower. Too much stress on the tower and connection points. Use the ski pylon.

islander033    2
X99 - Never pull a tube on a tower. Too much stress on the tower and connection points. Use the ski pylon.

I agree with whatever his Avatar says :wub:

Fernslinger    0

Ok, no tower then. The pylon is not the best choice for me because it is a DD and I might behead someone lol. Maybe use the eyes that the hold down straps attach to?

islander033    2
Ok, no tower then. The pylon is not the best choice for me because it is a DD and I might behead someone lol. Maybe use the eyes that the hold down straps attach to?

Something like this should get the job done.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...t.jsp?locale=en

WakeDoc    471
Something like this should get the job done.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...t.jsp?locale=en

Exactly but, if you still want to be able to swing the riders like you could from the pylon you want to tie a knot on each side of the pully to keep it in the middle of the bridal. or get one that does not have a pully and mounts to the middle of the rope.

smitty    0

We just use the tow hook on the transom.

Jackfly    0

True story: My friend was pulling the kids around on this taco shaped tube from the tower. they were getting tons of air. I said "that looks awsome let me try". After getting like 15 feet int he air and slammed hard a couple times, he starts the old whip. I'm hanging on for dear life at like 10 g's and I hear this CRACK, followed by a BONG!!! that sounded like hitting a big spring with a hammer. Turns out the tower actually cracked AT A WELD!! Now we looked all over his old crappy Moomba but couldn't find one spot of damage to the hull, mounts, ect. So he pulls out the JB weld and slavers that crap on it, then finds a huge U bolt and bolts the uprights together. Off he goes pulling the kids on the taco tube!

Spud    7

Why don't you make something like what islander posted, but have the torque going off of your ski pylon, and have a rig set at the transom mount/hook. That would keep the rope straight from the pylon to the rear of the boat.

Enzo101    0

That would be alot of pressure on the tower, one way to look at it is it would be a great way to test your tower for weak points. I would stick with the rear hook up and save the tower the wear and tear let alone the cracking it will do to the fiber glass at the mounting point on the boat!