Here is what I am thinking about doing and need some feedback if this will work. I just my 420 in this weekend and was thinking about a place to put it. Read a few threads and seen a few places, but I was thinking about this. Removing the din and a half sony unit, installing the Alpine marine unit with the 420 in the same spot. I think the Alpine unit has more outs and might be a better head unit. Plus the 420 will fit nicely up under it and somewhat out of the way. If done right, I think it will be a clean install. What do you guys think?

David

h20king    794

if the two are the same size together and could take the place of the factory unit I think it would be the ideal location.Maybe have a plastic shop laser cut a custom trim ring then cover in carbon fiber I think it would look great plus all your controls would be in the same location,and the hand set for the 420 could be nicely mounted on the panel closest to the walk through

WakeDoc    471

I think you are going to want to be able to adjust it on the fly, like turning the tower up and the interior down etc.

h20king    794

I think you would still be able to adjust on the fly if you stack them one on top of the other and make the front of the 420 flush with the alpine head unit it would look like one piece

LakeSurfer    10
I think you would still be able to adjust on the fly if you stack them one on top of the other and make the front of the 420 flush with the alpine head unit it would look like one piece

If you could do this, that would be very nice/clean look. Send pics if you can get this done.

That is what I am thinking about doing.... Adding one on top of the other. Also the 420 that I got is the new one. So it is sealed all the way around. Only adjustments that can be made are on the knob itself. I will have to take the face plate off of the boat (the gray piece) and have that cut out a little more to fit the 420 and radio. I think it will look a lot better with them both at the same place for easy adjustments.

WakeDoc    471

My bad I thought you were mounting it in the glove box.

My bad I thought you were mounting it in the glove box.

Nope. I think your boat had it in the glove box.

I was taking the speakers out of the box today and looking at them, all the while thinking these are going to be soooo loud! And then the MB-8's are just as large. Sleeping on the couch for a week was worth every penny of it!

Also, I might have an extra pair of MB-8's for sale if anyone is interested in them.

Corey    0

I mounted mine in the stock headunit location on my Falcon V, I found that with the combination of the WS-420 and the HSE I didn't need a headunit anymore. I just run an iPod/iPhone all the time...

post-282-1268061339_thumb.jpg

post-282-1268061346_thumb.jpg

WakeDoc    471

Corey, that looks really clean and welcome to the Crew.

I mounted mine in the stock headunit location on my Falcon V, I found that with the combination of the WS-420 and the HSE I didn't need a headunit anymore. I just run an iPod/iPhone all the time...

post-282-1268061339_thumb.jpg

post-282-1268061346_thumb.jpg

That is exactly what I am talking about! Been tossing up ideas, but in order for me to run Sirius, I need a head unit. Still pondering the Alpine marine unit (without the CD player) because it can run my iPod, Sirius, USB, etc... I measured the room that I would have and both would fit in there nicely. Also found a guy that can take the plate that I have now and make a carbon fiber one to match. That way, in case I want to take it all out, the factory plate is not messed up.

volzalum    280

get an iPhone or Blackberry and you can play Sirius/XM through it. Its only $2.99 per month for the internet access if you are an active subscriber.

duffymahoney    10

Sirius- pandora aren't good enough quality. I have sirius on my boat and an ipod is so much cleaner and louder. I barely use sirius anymore because of it.

LakeSurfer    10
Sirius- pandora aren't good enough quality. I have sirius on my boat and an ipod is so much cleaner and louder. I barely use sirius anymore because of it.

I agree that iPod is better quality. But if you dont have a huge iPod music list (like me) Sirius/Pandora are very serviceable (My Sirius sounds better than Pandora because it seems satellite has better connection than 3G. However, I personally like Pandora better because I can pick the type of music more).

I do not pay anything now for Sirius since I am a life member. My sat is hard wired in so it is a good connection and it sounds good. I have an 40 gig iPod and it is packed and I use that also. My buddy brings all of his CD's and that is like 8 CD cases and I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT!!! So I am thinking of just using the iPod and Sirius only. Cannot use IPhone/Blackberry because we do not have that good of a signal out on the lake. I did find the Alpine radio that I have been looking for for $150.00 local. Only thinis that it is not the Marine one.

LakeSurfer    10
I do not pay anything now for Sirius since I am a life member. My sat is hard wired in so it is a good connection and it sounds good. I have an 40 gig iPod and it is packed and I use that also. My buddy brings all of his CD's and that is like 8 CD cases and I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT!!! So I am thinking of just using the iPod and Sirius only. Cannot use IPhone/Blackberry because we do not have that good of a signal out on the lake. I did find the Alpine radio that I have been looking for for $150.00 local. Only thinis that it is not the Marine one.

I am in Dallas so I get great signal on Sirius/Pandora.

You wont go wrong with the Alpine HU, mine has been great.

duffymahoney    10

I also love my alpine deck. I have the stock sirius add on and the ipod add on.

Thanks, but I have already mounted it under the radio. I was able to get some brackets and bend them into and "L" shape. They work and look good for now. Once I get a new head unit, I will mount it under the radio.