duffymahoney    10

Walter parts needed

#9B Pinion

#10 Gear

Plus it's a good idea once you have it out to change the gaskets etc..

Duffy

duffymahoney    10

Found brand new units for 850, plus 50 to ship. Hopefully I can sell mine on craigslist or ebay for a few hundred bucks. Email me if anyone wants the contact info.

Audionly101    39

Duffy two things, I think the brand new one instead rebuilding will be worth your few extra bucks (this coming from one of the cheapest guys on earth - ME). If something goes wrong when you rebuild, or if a bearing or something goes out shortly there after then you are ahead of the game with the new one. Second, I know our boats are way different, but I am currently running a Acme 525 and am looking at going to a Acme 911. How much did your custom prop change your boat? Did you even get to run it? I saw your ad on WW and may be interested. I never run much over 30 mph anyways and would rather have the low end and less load when surfing/ boarding with all my weight. Do you think if will be "too much" prop for me?

duffymahoney    10

Nope Acme is going to start selling the new pitch and cup that my custom prop has. At least that's what acme said last fall. You will lose top end, but I could still go over 35 with the 911. So I would assume you could still go over 35 with the custom prop. I think the prop will be great. Should have lots of hole shot. I have over 450 in the prop with the tweaks. I actually have another 911 but it's dinged. I am just looking to fix the issue totally. The whole swap is going to cost me over $1500 or so. That is with new v-drive, prop and me installing it. I will have a local shop do the alignment. I run a lot of weight and I want to help my boat out:)

islander033    2

Hey Duffy!

Instead of spending more money on your Avy you should sell it and buy the Supreme 226... :unknw:

duffymahoney    10

Well 1.5k on my avy or 50k on a 226. Since I don't have 50k I should prob keep the avy:) I wish I could buy a v226. I only pay 100 a month on my avy and I like the tiny payments and I am counting the days till it's paid off! Then I will look at buying someting else.

islander033    2
Well 1.5k on my avy or 50k on a 226. Since I don't have 50k I should prob keep the avy:) I wish I could buy a v226. I only pay 100 a month on my avy and I like the tiny payments and I am counting the days till it's paid off! Then I will look at buying someting else.

Fair enough...lol.

Maybe you should demo one and weight it for surfing. I'd love to see some wave pics of that boat properly set up.

duffymahoney    10

My local supreme dealer is thinking the same thing. Hopefully this summer something will happen.

Duffy

duffymahoney    10

Anyone have tips or tricks to removing the v-drive? I am hoping it wont be too hard.

duffymahoney    10

Removal took around 45 minutes. Worst part was draining and then still getting oil in the bildge. Also all the angles are tight. And the thing is pretty heavy, around 100lbs is just about what I would guess. Fun no less and got a chance to clean my bildge:)

Bigcatpt    408
Removal took around 45 minutes. Worst part was draining and then still getting oil in the bildge. Also all the angles are tight. And the thing is pretty heavy, around 100lbs is just about what I would guess. Fun no less and got a chance to clean my bildge:)

Dude I hope you are taking pictures!!! I expect a "how to" to come out of this. If this mod works for you I am gonna be right behind you!!!!

duffymahoney    10

Don't worry I took lots of pictures:) I will post them tomorrow.

WakeDoc    471

Duffy, you got WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much extra time on your hands, extremely jealous, looking forward to the pictures... :thumbsup:

h20king    794

way to go duff saw your pic's on ww good job brake cleaner and some paper towels will clean up the spilt oil and make the bilge look like new.After you reinstall shoot me a pm and I will give you my number and can talk you through he shaft alignment it is easier than you think just takes a little time to get it perfect. Also I would recommend new water bearings and shaft seal before you reinstall the drive parts and the puller through Elbert's should only run another $350 but is money well spent

duffymahoney    10

I was thinking about installing a dripless shaft seal. How hard is it?

WakeDoc    471

Let's see the pictures Duff.

duffymahoney    10

So there are 6 bolts to the tranny, super easy to get off. I figured they would be rusted on, but nope. And only 4 bolts holding on the prop shaft. Shell told me just to bolt it up and it should still be aligned, if I get vibration, I will take it to a shop or try to do it myself.

Removal was easy. I first took off the hoses, which honestly took me way to long:) I ended up breaking the intake hose, so that will need to be replaced. Moved all wires, hoses out of the way. Centurion did a pretty piss pour job hanging some of these wires and I am going to spend a couple hours attaching them better. Also they didn't use hose barbs on the tranny, they are just threaded male to male pipes! Piss pour centurion! Then I unbolted the prop shaft. once that was free, then I just unbolted the v-drive from the tranny. The tough part is getting it out of the boat. You need to rotate the drive 180 degrees and pull the part that attaches to the tranny out first. This took me a few times to figure out. Then the whole thing just lifts out. At this point all the remaining oil went into my bildge:) Here are a couple pictures

Also, I know my bildge is dirty and my deck is covered in balsa wood dust from my wakesurf build:)

post-350-1267810931_thumb.jpg

post-350-1267810942_thumb.jpg

post-350-1267810956_thumb.jpg

post-350-1267810972_thumb.jpg

post-350-1267810982_thumb.jpg

WakeDoc    471

Good Job Duffy... :thumbsup: , another trick it to put a trash bag around something like this, tape the end up and then use tape to secure the bag tightly to what you are removing. Then when you are removing it you have less chance of getting oil on something. I do the something similar when changing the oil filter, when you unscrew the filter drop it into a zip lock bag with some paper towels in it, zip it closed, clean anything that needs it and remove it from the boat without fear of oil getting on something. Where was your boat made at Duffy?

duffymahoney    10

Mine is a 2003 Cali build. I have replaced 70% or so of the interior. It's just little stuff that sucks. Also there is no raw water shut off. Every other boat I have seen, has one.

Edited by duffymahoney