duffymahoney    10

So I found this craigslist add that says he has done the v-drive tranny swap from 1:1 to 2:1 and I was wondering if anyone knew the model number of tranny that would work? Here is a link to his boat. Looks like a good surf boat for someone. My exact model boat

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1617818285.html

smitty1258    0

Ok so I cant add anything to your thread.

And this is prolly a stupid question, but what is the advantage to having a 2:1 vs 1:1 tranny? Good for everything or just surfing?

h20king    794

under a reduction scenario your engine can turn a larger prop with more pitch giving you the best of both worlds hole shot and top end with ballast. but don't worry smity your boat has 1:43 to 1 Walter

h20king    794

duffy contact Walter gear they will have the info you need 201 656-5654 hope this helps

Oldwakedude    0
Ok so I cant add anything to your thread.

And this is prolly a stupid question, but what is the advantage to having a 2:1 vs 1:1 tranny? Good for everything or just surfing?

Not a stupid question, actually a somewhat complicated one, here is a link to a little insight into how complicated it can be.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/articles/torquevshp.aspx

There is a lot of engineering behind selecting the right gear ratio/prop combination to provide the desired response. With the changing engine design requirements (due in part to emission regulations) and the changing markets (growth of heavily ballasted boats) manufactures have had to redesign the drive train. You add to this the individual owners operating location (high altitude) and habits (all the weight in the back) and it can get a bit more complicated. What Duffy needs on his boat may not be required on the same boat in Houston.

Duffy I would think it would be simpler to just change the gear ratio in your v-drive unit. Here is the web site for Walter V-drive:

http://www.waltergear.com/

Edited by Oldwakedude

duffymahoney    10

Thanks guys I will contact them. That would be great if I could just re-gear my current v-drive!

Duffy

duffymahoney    10

Talked to walter and they think I might be able to change gears. I have to get the model number and the serial.

Bigcatpt    408
Talked to walter and they think I might be able to change gears. I have to get the model number and the serial.

I can't wait to see what you find out since I have the same set up as you!!!! :Rockon:

duffymahoney    10

Can you get the model number for me? My boat is tucked away in dry storage.

Bigcatpt    408
Can you get the model number for me? My boat is tucked away in dry storage.

Here is what I got. The label is pretty worn off. ?-17-004 with ratio 1:1

post-188-1267424560_thumb.jpg

duffymahoney    10

The guy said it's an easy swap. I just need to know how to set spring tension. Which of coarse I don't:) But I can learn! I will let you know what I find out.

Duffy

duffymahoney    10

That's the tranny plate, I guess boats have a tranny and a v-drive. The v-drive plate is on the right side of the unit. Thanks

Duffy

Bigcatpt    408
That's the tranny plate, I guess boats have a tranny and a v-drive. The v-drive plate is on the right side of the unit. Thanks

Duffy

So you need model number of the V-drive instead of the Tranny???

duffymahoney    10

Yep. The v-drive is where the gear reduction is.

Bigcatpt    408
Yep. The v-drive is where the gear reduction is.

I'll get that for you tonight...

duffymahoney    10

Sweet let me know. I think if I can get the gear ratio, I might actually be super happy with my boat. At least for now:)

Edited by duffymahoney

h20king    794

duffy my brother says it is a fairly easy job but depending on access the drive might have to be removed from the boat

duffymahoney    10

Walter said the v-drive had to be removed. Maybe it could be done witout taking it out. I have a little wiggle room.

Bigcatpt    408
Walter said the v-drive had to be removed. Maybe it could be done witout taking it out. I have a little wiggle room.

serial number 95330 Ratio 1.00 - 1 Part # RV-26D

post-188-1267505301_thumb.jpg

duffymahoney    10

Ok, so parts to do the swap are 675. He said it would take 3-5 hours to do the whole thing. This includes new seals etc.. and the new gears. I think I might do this, or I might pull mine out and take it to my local machine, gear and tranny shop. You would also need to get a new prop. Just for the savings in gas and also strain on the boat. I always wondered why my boat didn't handle the weight well. I have a buddy with a malibu and his runs perfect with way more weight. I would have never guessed it would be the gear ratio. I will let you know what else I find out.