Foiler

Avalanche/Typhoon factory sub location pictures

Foiler    1

I know I read some post in the past about people wondering about the floor area in the Avalanche were the factory subwoofer goes and wondering what is inside so I took a couple pictures to show what is inside when I took my factory sub out.

Basically it is a complete fiberglass sub enclosure that is completely enclosed with the exception of the bottom. THe bottom is open which allows the foam that they fill the hull with to expand into. My boat came with the factory kicker 10" marine sub and it actually sounded really good in there but I believe it is a free air sub and this area is pretty big and not sealed and works pretty good with a free air sub like the Kicker. You can see where the original installers cut some of the foam out to make room for the speaker.

I want more so I plan on redoing mine. I was originally considering putting a Kicker square 15 in there. It would fit and actually work out easier and be easier to do because the entire enclosure volume is about the right size for the Kicker 15. It just needs several more layers of fiberglass inside and on the floor to beef it up and make it nice and solid with no flex.

I have come to the conclusion that a 15 is probably not what I want because I like Rock more and like nice tight bass and a 15 might be better suited for Rap. I got a Boston Acoustics SPG555 sub for Christmas and I think it will fit the bill for nice tight bass in a sealed enclosure. I have done a lot of fiberglass work so I am going to try and build a 1 cubic foot enclosure (what is recommended for the SPG555) inside the original enclosure. Basically I will just build an oversized 1 cu ft enclosure and just keep laying in the fiberglass until it gets nice and solid. I think it will work good and look nice and factory but it is also going to be pretty labor intensive.

Still my ultimate goal is to have the best performance and am considering cutting the whole thing out and building a new enclosure. I have seen a lot of people face the sub towards the outside of the hull. Still not 100% sure on the best aproach but wanted to share some pics in case someone else has simular thoughts.

post-868-1263063416_thumb.jpg

post-868-1263063424_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foiler

That answers my question right there! I am wondering if you can put the 10" wetsounds sub in there and if it would sound good?

LakeSurfer    10
That answers my question right there! I am wondering if you can put the 10" wetsounds sub in there and if it would sound good?

I dont know about the 10" WS sub, but I can tell you the WS XXX sounds great (pushed by Syn1).

Edit: you do have to cut that box out and add a custom box for the XXX

Edited by LakeSurfer

Foiler    1

Yep, I bet that 10" Wetsounds would work good there and be the easiest thing that you could do and sound pretty good for most people. Seeing what you are putting on your tower and the amps you are using for that. I wouldn't say you are most people!! Maybe the 10" would be a good quick solution for the time being but yes cutting the whole thing out and building a custom box is probably the best route. Most people build a custom ported box for the most output from what I have seen. Fortunately the sub I am going to use is supposed to work pretty well in a sealed box and should have some pretty descent output. I really want to try and make this factory location work but there is still a chance that I will cut it out and do a custom box. The sub box will be one of the last things that I do but when I get around to it, I will try and take some pics.

You are right about myself not being the same. I know I wanted to push the Pro80's and the MB-8's. That is the reason for the two Syn 4's. I also figured I would need to cut that part of the kickplate out. I am going to put in the XXX sub in a custom box for sure, but I just spent a ton on the tower set and wire. $500.00 on wire, blocks and terminals is and added expense that most people do not figure in. Maybe after I get my taxes back I can go with the Syn 1 and XXX. I have thought about two Syn 1's powering the XXX @ 4 ohm. Who knows.

Foiler    1
I have thought about two Syn 1's powering the XXX @ 4 ohm. Who knows.

Lol, that sounds more like it. But is this even possible? Never seen anyone do that, I guess you would put one amp to each voice coil. I bet 1 Syn 1 would do the trick. What are you going to do for interior speakers and amp and batteries?

I still have the Skylon interior speakers and they do the job. My goal is to produce the best sound that I can to the rider. So to me the tower is more important than the interior. Besides, I think everyone has there tower louder than the interior. The sub will be pounding for sure, but the interior is no match for the tower. Even in a party cove the tower will be blasting along with the sub and that will almost drown out the Skylons.

The XXX sub is 1K RMS and 2K Max - according to Wetsounds they want you to run this:

Recommended Configurations:

- (1) XS-XXX subwoofer at 4 ohms. Power: 850 x 1 (recommended) <----- 850!!!

So by getting two Syn 1's and hooking them together, I will be at 1700; in theory. I know it is a little overkill, but the amps will not have to work as hard to keep up.

As for battery's, I am still looking at them. I know they will be AGM, Group 27, but have not decided on which brand.

Edited by Colombian Surfer

LakeSurfer    10
I still have the Skylon interior speakers and they do the job. My goal is to produce the best sound that I can to the rider. So to me the tower is more important than the interior. Besides, I think everyone has there tower louder than the interior. The sub will be pounding for sure, but the interior is no match for the tower. Even in a party cove the tower will be blasting along with the sub and that will almost drown out the Skylons.

The XXX sub is 1K RMS and 2K Max - according to Wetsounds they want you to run this:

Recommended Configurations:

- (1) XS-XXX subwoofer at 4 ohms. Power: 850 x 1 (recommended) <----- 850!!!

So by getting two Syn 1's and hooking them together, I will be at 1700; in theory. I know it is a little overkill, but the amps will not have to work as hard to keep up.

As for battery's, I am still looking at them. I know they will be AGM, Group 27, but have not decided on which brand.

CS

I have a WS XXX pushed by a Syn1 at 1000 watts @ 2 ohms (i believe). If I actually turn up the volume when the bass is hitting, it will shake my entire boat. I could not imagine (or want) it at 1,700 watts. Every screw/device in the boat would come loose!! Heck, I would just run another XXX/Syn1 in the ski locker under the glove box if I wanted more bass.

Note: the guy that put my system in runs 3 WS 10" subs in his LSV 247 (middle rear seat, ski locker and driver's feet)

duffymahoney    10

I have two apline subs in the stock box with a alpine amp running 1000 or so watts at 2ohm and my boat shakes. The previous owner dilled another 10" hole on the other side other of the box under the front cushions, and they sound pretty freaking amazing! I can't image having more bass.

Edited by duffymahoney

Auldman    0

Great thread. Anybody put a 12" into an Avy in this location? Gonna start cutting this weekend and wonder if there are any gotcha's back there before I begin. 12' Kicker is the direction I am headed. Actually all part of a complete stereo upgrade that will be a big post here shortly... :Rockon:

duffymahoney    10

My avy has 2-10 inch alpine type R's in the stock location. One on each side of the kick panel. The previous owner did it, they would great and sound amazing. They also shake my whole boat when turned up.

I just added a 12" sub in that location in my Typhoon. I did a box sub so my cut out is square. The sub (and box) slide back in to place and fit very tightly. To answer the question, yes a 12" can fit there.

Auldman    0
I just added a 12" sub in that location in my Typhoon. I did a box sub so my cut out is square. The sub (and box) slide back in to place and fit very tightly. To answer the question, yes a 12" can fit there.

So do I "need" a box or will mounting it stock style be acceptable to someone who is really only looking for a little bottom end vs theater quality sound.

You could get either in there. Just be aware that if you are not going to put it in a box, you should use a "free-air" sub.

Auldman    0

Thanks for the info.

soonerjoe    0

I installed a sub without a box there and thinks it sounds great.

Foiler    1

The factory Kicker 10" marine sub which is a free air sub sounded pretty good in that location and would be a pretty easy and cheap solution. I think I have seen them for $50-$75 bucks on ebay and mine that was in there had about 175 watts going to it. I ended up building a fiberglass sealed enclosure inside the factory box and installed the SPG555 with a 1000 watts going to it. It sounds great but was a lot of work, it ended up being much harder than I anticipated so I wouldn't recommend it. It looks factory and works great but if I had to do it again I would probably just cut the whole thing out and install a fabricated box in its place or just compromise a little and stick with a free air sub as they do it from the factory.

LakeSurfer    10

I added a 12" WS XXX pushed by 800 watts/4 ohms at the drivers feet. We cut out the factory plate completely. Added a custom box that is mounted to the floor and hid the new box with a kick plate that is basically mounted to the sub.

I think it looks clean and sounds much better than the free air sub that was installed by boat dealer.

Auldman    0

I think I will probably start w\ simply cutting the hole and installing the sub with the idea that if it is not enough I can go forth with a complete box install. Should I port the existing enclosure? In the photo above there is a foam filler in the bottom. Would it be advisable to cut that flat and install a board for reflection? Yes I am a rookie.