h20king

exhaust mod

zapisor    43
Not as quite as the FAE. With my plate all the way up it really doesn't touch the wave at all. I really doubt the tips go underwater on anyone? Maybe at slower speeds, yesterday I was trying to surf at like 12-12.5. Also I have sea-foam in my gas, fuel injector cleaner, heat, maybe most of the nasty exhaust was from that?

So.... quiet enough that I guy could get away with the WS 650's (coaxals) as opposed to pro 60's or 80's and still have tunes load & clear while surfing? plus $500.00 bucks left over for a new board.

duffymahoney    10

I have 4 8" hlcds so I could hear them perfectly. I think the would help noise a little bit. An FAE is super quite. If it wasn't for belts and air intake you almost couldn't know it's running.

Duffy

volzalum    280

Both of my tips are underwater at all speeds on my boat with these turn down tips. It must be a difference in Hull thing.

duffymahoney    10

We have very similar hulls. I will go back out and re-test before I decide on anything. From looking at both of your installs they are the same basic angle.

Edited by duffymahoney

duffymahoney    10

Went back out. At wakeboarding speeds the exhaust outlet is 2" from the water. At surf speeds and boat anlge the exhaust is 1" from the water. I used a ruler to measure while underway. Most people wouldn't be able to see this but since I have such a short swim step I can see it perfectly. I got a headache while surfing! I hate exhaust.

Plans

1. Weld a 2.5" piece of 4" stainless steel tubing onto the tips.

2. Have my welder buddy make a whole new one out of smaller 3" tubing.

Edited by duffymahoney

prv321    0

Another exhaust tip install...

Yep, I'm trying it too. Put them on Sunday. Going to Lake Nacimiento (CA) for Memorial weekend.

post-1035-1274772151_thumb.jpgpost-1035-1274772165_thumb.jpg

Wiggles    2
Another exhaust tip install...

Yep, I'm trying it too. Put them on Sunday. Going to Lake Nacimiento (CA) for Memorial weekend.

post-1035-1274772151_thumb.jpgpost-1035-1274772165_thumb.jpg

If you don't mind letting me know how they worked out for you on the elite, I'm really curious how they do on our hull. I'm wanting to do tips or FAE as well but not 100% on which one.... but if tips work the cheaper option is always better :thumbsup:

Wiggles

duffymahoney    10

I will sell my tips, $275 shipped. Used once:)

prv321    0

I'll post here after this weekend!

bigbull    0
I'll post here after this weekend!

Cool. I wanna know too.

BB

prv321    0

Sorry to take so long to post back. Slammed at work when I got back - it didn't help I got back Wed. after Memorial weekend. :thumbsup:

Anyway, bottom line: the tips quiet down the boat. At first I wasn't sure (because I hadn't heard it on the water since last season), but my wife and my buddy who were sitting in the back said, "Are you kidding? It's way quieter than before, we're having a conversation with normal voices back here."

We were wakeboarding only and as far as my buddy could tell, the tips were in the water the whole time. Unfortunately, I was only driving due to hamstring injury, otherwise I would see for myself. Also, we were only using stock center ballast with four good size crew and three kids - it's not like we were trying to sink the boat with ballast.

I have no experience with FAE, but I'm happy with these tips. Got a couple of comments each day on the ramp about how cool they looked! Yeah, I know, only performance matters...

I realize this is a very old thread; however, it is what I came across while researching this topic.  There is a way to remove the existing plastic tips without damaging them.  Here is the process (09 falcon v):

1. remove the rubber hose at both ends (exhaust tips and exhaust manifold)

- loosen clamps and use heat gun to make the hose more flexible and easier to work with

2. on the inside, use a heat gun around the exhaust tips to loosen the adhesive. take a screw driver to scrape the adhesive away

3. unscrew the 4 outside screws

4. on the outside, use a heat gun use a heat gun around the exhaust tips to loosen the adhesive. DO NOT use a screw driver to scrape any adhesive on the outside

5. on the inside again, reheat the seal and hit the end of the exhaust tip with a hammer.  it should budge at this point. continue using the hammer until the exhaust tip is flush with the interior of the boat.

6. on the outside, twist and pull the exhaust tip out.

This method worked for me and took an hour at most.  Was able to save the exhaust tips just in case they were needed for future use and did not come close to damaging the fiberglass.  Hope this helps!!

rear 1.jpg

rear 2.jpg

rear 3.jpg

Edited by wakesurfshredder

Just received the exhaust tips from bakesonline.com (part # 3221015).  Total for 2 was $296.00.  They come with little tabs on them as a prior post mentioned; however, rather than cutting a notch into the boat/fiberglass, I was able to use an angle grinder and grind down the tabs (see before and after pics).  A few scuffs at the tip but no worries there since that end will be on the inside of the boat.

tip 1.jpg

tip 2.jpg

tip 3.jpg

tip 4.jpg