Princebaindar

Buying 06' Ave C4 - Good Family Boat? What to Look far at Inspection?

I am seriously considering buying an 06' C4 Avalanch.  Boat looks clean with loads of options.  I am coming off of an 04' Sanger V210.  Loved that boat but it was destroyed when the shop I left it at last Fall to get winterized caught fire and burned to the ground...bet you haven't heard that one yet.  In all, from what I have read on this extremely informative forum, it seems like a solid boat.  I was looking for feedback on anything I should pay particular attention when buying.  There are 450 Hours on the boat and I am buying from a second owner.  He has all the original paperwork and all service records. I am buying long distance and shipping and am going to have third party mechanic do an inspection.  Looking for reliable family boat that can do a little of everything.  Surf...of course, tubing, kneeboarding, wakeskate and every once and a while dad likes to bust out the slalom ski and do his best Andy Maple impression.  I know the C4 is no course skiing DD, however, is the wake decent enough to long line and have some fun on a slalom ski?  Kids are also getting into rec skiing.  The boat does have the adjustable trim tab.  As far as the hull goes how does it perform in rough water?  I boat on a high mountain lake that can get pretty rowdy quick.  Also was wondering how big the cooler is...functional?  Lastly boat has heaters, kind of a big deal because I live in mountains and I think this will really extend the season.  Any issues with these that I should be aware of?   Thanks for your help hopefully look forward to being part of Centurion Crew!  

I have an 07 avy C4. Bought new and to this date, no regrets. I’ll answer a few of your questions. Other folks will chime in and after a few days of good banter, you’ll have a good feel whether this boat should be in your driveway or not. This boat, like mine, has a deep V hull.  Smooth ride in chop not to mention one of the best boats to surf behind.  Walk thru cooler is an engineering mess. The cooler is actually part of the boat, which means it warms up pretty quick. What I did to keep the space functional is install 2 gas struts to the cover/lid.  Lost track of how many times that cover was abused. I also bought a decent cooler that sits nicely in the walk-thru.  Really, the only issues I’ve had with our boat is two head gaskets giving out (both repairs were covered by warranty). That was 10+ year’s ago. A common issue with the older Centurions is gauges crapping out (tach #1 with Perfect Pass a close second). Stay true to the recommended service work and you and your family will create memories for many years on your 06 avy. 

Troy    234

I have an 08 Avy bought new. Love it.  The listed wave is awesome, just have to do a custom ballast system. Unlike Midlifecrisis, I love the cooler. Easy to access and you don't have to make anyone move to get to it. I insulated mine and it holds ice all day just fine. Only issue I had was the hour meter quit at 5 hours (replaced under warranty) and the exhaust manifold gaskets, about an hour job to replace. Other wise it has been an awesome boat.  I will say the vinyl is thin and you have to be careful with it but mine is still holding up. Share some pictures or a link and we will try and help you out. Things to look for and options it has. 

bomoseen avy    45

Loved my 03 Avy. I put a Bennet wakeplate on it with extended throw rams to see if I could do some slalom freeskiing. Negative. My buddy's MC Prostar was mucho nicer for that. He described my wake as "firm" for slalom. My avy had a killer surf wave and rode better in chop tho!!!