Sign in to follow this  
InfinitySurf

Last things done to be ready for summer

InfinitySurf    302

Finally got rest of my list done today to have boat ready to roll for summer. Replaced the impeller (tho it still looks brand new....but will just keep for a spare), changed both fuel filters, glad I did the FCC filter, looked pretty dirty even tho I run only ethenol free fuel. I tried to change the engine belt, but I could just barely not get it stretched over....so I put the old belt back on which still looks brand new and gonna look into some tricks to stretch the belt slightly and maybe have it nice and warm so I can replace that too just for preventative measures. Last Fall before putting her to sleep, I had made a pretty long list of stuff I wanted to get done before summer, so pretty pumped that I am very close to being done.

Now I just need the new vinyl put back into the boat and I will be ready for another awesome summer! I still have to compound and polisht the gelcoat but its been raining and we got some sleet and snow last night, so have not made that happen yet. Hopefully I can get it done this week tho before I take the boat back for them to install all the new skins. I had them remove everything and then took the boat so I could do this stuff without vinyl in way.....plus I am getting the interior gelcoat all spruced up at same time, gonna wax behind all the areas that seat backs go, etc.

20180325_132332.jpg

20180325_140537.jpg

20180325_142153.jpg

20180325_132337.jpg

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555
2 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Finally got rest of my list done today to have boat ready to roll for summer. Replaced the impeller (tho it still looks brand new....but will just keep for a spare), changed both fuel filters, glad I did the FCC filter, looked pretty dirty even tho I run only ethenol free fuel. I tried to change the engine belt, but I could just barely not get it stretched over....so I put the old belt back on which still looks brand new and gonna look into some tricks to stretch the belt slightly and maybe have it nice and warm so I can replace that too just for preventative measures. Last Fall before putting her to sleep, I had made a pretty long list of stuff I wanted to get done before summer, so pretty pumped that I am very close to being done.

Now I just need the new vinyl put back into the boat and I will be ready for another awesome summer! I still have to compound and polisht the gelcoat but its been raining and we got some sleet and snow last night, so have not made that happen yet. Hopefully I can get it done this week tho before I take the boat back for them to install all the new skins. I had them remove everything and then took the boat so I could do this stuff without vinyl in way.....plus I am getting the interior gelcoat all spruced up at same time, gonna wax behind all the areas that seat backs go, etc.

20180325_142153.jpg

Motorcraft! What are you running a raptor engine! Just kidding. Good work on the maintenance and dating your filters. As far as the belt goes, on both my 343 and DrNates 409 if you did not have every spline lined up on the pulleys the belt would not go on. And, when everything was lined up you will have to slide the back side of the belt over the smooth pulley last and not the tensioner pulley. Did you try that?

Nick213    583

Nice job, wish I was comfortable doing my own maintenance on my boat.

InfinitySurf    302

@RhuntIII I did not try that and its a great idea! If I went over the smooth pulley last I am sure I can make it go on there, just barely would not stretch over the tensioner pulley and I didnt even think of doing it over smooth pulley last. Appreciate that.

Motorcraft oil filter....I did a bunch of research on oil filters and that one came up as a quality filter (obviously plenty of others) and its easy to get in my area.  I bought a bulk pack since I change oil at least twice. Middle of summer and end....every 40-50hrs. Since I change often, I figured as long as its a quality made filter, I wasnt worried about something that filtered long term and gonna use these up.

Got one other question for ya, I may have to post a new topic on this one....but in doing research on the DEXCOOL antifreeze that is on all the GM, PCM engines (when I winterized in Fall, I opened bolt on heat exchanger for 30 seconds and drained some of the anti-freeze, so I need to top off my reservoir tank now. But when googling earlier today to see where I could buy it,a bunch of stuff came up where GM has a bunch of lawsuits where supposedly the DEXCOOL can eat up gaskets/risers, cause issues with aluminum parts. The coolant can corrode and clog up radiators and cps, erode water pumps, rot radiator hoses and cause overheating (this is on cars mostly of course), but the boat engines are not that different and now I am worried about possible issues down the road. After texting my dealer today asking about it, he said the same thing. I asked him if I should drain, flush and replace....but he has not responded yet

So now considering draining and flushing the existing DEXCOOL and replacing with something else. Any of you guys heard of these issues and switched to another brand? Dealer said that Sierra makes a propylene glycol that is green, its the stuff used in the Raptor engines

InfinitySurf    302
1 minute ago, Nick213 said:

Nice job, wish I was comfortable doing my own maintenance on my boat.

I like messing with the boat, its relaxing to me and I obviously have an addiction. Hello, my name is Drew and I am addicted to my boat and all things boating/lake life. Luckily my wife supports my habit, she calls my boat her "sister wife" ,lol

I have always worked on my own boats....but most everything on this Centurion, I learned either on this forum of with google and utube, so you can do it man!!

Nick213    583

Hi my name is Nick and I work with wood. lol

I learned a long time ago it's not worth my time to mess with stuff like that. I can do anything home related but not so good at anything vehicle related. 

Im a guy that's good at what I do but not with stuff I don't, easier and honestly cheaper for me to not try anymore.

RhuntIII    555

@InfinitySurf, you brought up a good topic that I know very little about and you might want to do a little certified mechanic research. 

From what I have gathered (F250 6.7) with these new engines and all the different types of metals and plastics, these high tech antifreezes need to have a safe PH level to keep the engine components from failure. If the coolant get to acidic it can eat away all the parts like you mentioned. I have my truck's coolant PH checked at every oil change, there’s even a warning light that says, “Check Coolant” when the levels are fine. 

My 233’s 343 does not have closed cooling so I have not researched on the GM coolant in a PCM engine. I’m thinking that all these guys that keep their boats long term might want to do some research on this just to be 100% on coolant recharges and or replacement.

Make sure you use the 50/50 coolant to water ratio. 100% Dexcool is harmful. 

DrNate    426
13 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

@RhuntIII I did not try that and its a great idea! If I went over the smooth pulley last I am sure I can make it go on there, just barely would not stretch over the tensioner pulley and I didnt even think of doing it over smooth pulley last. Appreciate that.

Motorcraft oil filter....I did a bunch of research on oil filters and that one came up as a quality filter (obviously plenty of others) and its easy to get in my area.  I bought a bulk pack since I change oil at least twice. Middle of summer and end....every 40-50hrs. Since I change often, I figured as long as its a quality made filter, I wasnt worried about something that filtered long term and gonna use these up.

Got one other question for ya, I may have to post a new topic on this one....but in doing research on the DEXCOOL antifreeze that is on all the GM, PCM engines (when I winterized in Fall, I opened bolt on heat exchanger for 30 seconds and drained some of the anti-freeze, so I need to top off my reservoir tank now. But when googling earlier today to see where I could buy it,a bunch of stuff came up where GM has a bunch of lawsuits where supposedly the DEXCOOL can eat up gaskets/risers, cause issues with aluminum parts. The coolant can corrode and clog up radiators and cps, erode water pumps, rot radiator hoses and cause overheating (this is on cars mostly of course), but the boat engines are not that different and now I am worried about possible issues down the road. After texting my dealer today asking about it, he said the same thing. I asked him if I should drain, flush and replace....but he has not responded yet

So now considering draining and flushing the existing DEXCOOL and replacing with something else. Any of you guys heard of these issues and switched to another brand? Dealer said that Sierra makes a propylene glycol that is green, its the stuff used in the Raptor engines

It's kinda funny that you brought this up Infinity because I had just finished doing a ton of research on DEXCOOL because I, too, have it in my 409.  The manual says to check the PH level with red litmus paper and if it turns blue, it is alkaline and you are good.  I bought litmus paper to check mine and the PH from the new DEXCOOL (50/50 mixture) was 8.4 and so was the DEXCOOL in my boat, so I am happy.  The manual does say to also replace the DEXCOOL after 5 years.

I have read the nightmare stories about DEXCOOL and automobile vehicles as well.  The most important thing is that if you decide to switch from DEXCOOL to regular anti-freeze it is IMPERITIVE that you drain every last drop of DEXCOOL out and MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you got it all because it DOES NOT play nice with regular anti-freeeze

Edited by DrNate
  • Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

I actually talked to the head mechanic at Transition Watersports in FL today (PCM says they are there to support dealers and refused to allow me to talk to a tech).

The mechanic told me that the orange dex-cool in the ethylene glycol is exactly what they use and he said to NOT dilute it and to make sure its run straight. Considering I only needed a quart or so (I topped off bottle about 30mins ago and it was next to nothing that I needed)....I am not to worried about it right now. BUT, I do want to somehow double check this information and make sure that it is correct since this fall (maybe sooner), I am probably just gonna drain the system just to give it a good clean and then do it again.

Sounds like reading between the lines, a lot of the dex-cool issues where either people running it low, mixing it with other antifreeze kinds, or did not use distilled water and just used tap water.....which negated the benefits of having rust inhibitors in it. Not sure what to think about this right now in all honesty cause so much mixed info out there, but I definately want to somehow verify that it is in fact: Ethylene Glycol DEX-COOL that is put in by the factor.....and that its put in 100% pure with zero dilution.

Anybody finds out for sure, please share. I am gonna talk to another dealer tomorrow to see what their take on it is.

WakeDoc    471

From PCM website...

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of coolant should I use?

GM tests all their engines using long life DEX-COOL coolant. Therefore, PCM recommends DEX-COOL or any good extended life coolant (pink/orange in color) mixed 50% DEX-COOL to 50% water for engines that have a closed cooling system. More than 50% coolant can contribute to overheating. Do not mix or substitute DEX-COOL with traditional silicated coolant (green in color).

InfinitySurf    302
55 minutes ago, WakeDoc said:

From PCM website...

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of coolant should I use?

GM tests all their engines using long life DEX-COOL coolant. Therefore, PCM recommends DEX-COOL or any good extended life coolant (pink/orange in color) mixed 50% DEX-COOL to 50% water for engines that have a closed cooling system. More than 50% coolant can contribute to overheating. Do not mix or substitute DEX-COOL with traditional silicated coolant (green in color).

Thank you for posting! I actually saw that a little earlier on their website and guessing they do not specifically say Ethylene Glycol....cause Dex-Cool does not come in a Propylene.... I wonder why mechanic was so clear about telling me to NOT dilute the AF, sounds like there is a lot of wrong info out there about this? Luckily I only had to put a small amount in my resevoir, there was still a tiny bit in bottom of tank before I filled. if it goes down at all when I run it, I will add a touch of distilled water in there to even it out.

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555
2 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Thank you for posting! I actually saw that a little earlier on their website and guessing they do not specifically say Ethylene Glycol....cause Dex-Cool does not come in a Propylene.... I wonder why mechanic was so clear about telling me to NOT dilute the AF, sounds like there is a lot of wrong info out there about this? Luckily I only had to put a small amount in my resevoir, there was still a tiny bit in bottom of tank before I filled. if it goes down at all when I run it, I will add a touch of distilled water in there to even it out.

Makes you wonder how much support the dealers are getting from PCM. It also says the 50/50 in the Users manual as well. 

Jlagos    23

Definitely would second guess the recommendation to not dilute 50:50. From what I've learned, undiluted antifreeze is unable to unload the heat it absorbs readily and can result in an engine running hotter. The water (distilled) makes the antifreeze more dense and actually increases the boiling and decreases freezing point. 

DrNate    426
8 hours ago, Jlagos said:

Definitely would second guess the recommendation to not dilute 50:50. From what I've learned, undiluted antifreeze is unable to unload the heat it absorbs readily and can result in an engine running hotter. The water (distilled) makes the antifreeze more dense and actually increases the boiling and decreases freezing point. 

X2.  I'd say the mechanic you talked to is an idiot.  Horrible advice

• Haha 1

RhuntIII    555
1 hour ago, DrNate said:

X2.  I'd say the mechanic you talked to is an idiot.  Horrible advice

But he is directly supported by PCM  

InfinitySurf    302
7 hours ago, RhuntIII said:

But he is directly supported by PCM  

That is exactly what PCM told me....they refused to talk to me or transfer me to a tech and told me to call their dealers since they directly support them and not the "public. Kindof crazy its so hard to find accurate and undisputable info on this stuff.

On planetnautique, dude posted this info out of his 2007 owners manual: (least it confirms the fact that it is all etheylene glycol).

In my 2007 engine manual it says that Dex-cool is ETHYLENE GLYCOL BASED. 

ENGINE MAINTENANCE - 11 FILLING FRESH-WATER COOLING SYSTEM 
A new extended life engine coolant known as DEX- 
COOL™ is used in your engine(s). It is imperative to note the following about DEX-COOL™ engine coolant: • IT IS PINK IN COLOR TO DISTINGUISH IT 
FROM CONVENTIONAL COOLANT. 
• THE SERVICE CHANGE INTERVAL ON 
ENGINES BUILT WITH DEX-COOL™ IS 5 
YEARS. 
• TO MAINTAIN FULL CORROSION 
PROTECTION DURABILITY, DEX-COOL™ 
MUST NOT BE MIXED WITH CONVENTIONAL (CONTAINING SILICATE) ENGINE COOLANTS. • DEX-COOL™ IS AN ETHYLENE GLYCOL 
BASED PRODUCT, THEREFORE, BOIL AND FREEZE PROTECTION ARE MEASURED IN THE SAME FASHION AS CONVENTIONAL 
COOLANTS. 
TO FULLY REALIZE ITS MANY ADVANTAGES, 
DEX-COOL™ MUST NEVER BE MIXED WITH 
CONVENTIONAL COOLANTS. 
DEX-COOL™ can become contaminated by 
inadvertently topping-off with conventional coolant, 
adding conventional coolant to the system or even if 
fi ll/drain containers are shared between coolants. If 
contamination occurs, the cooling system must be 
immediately drained and fl ushed, and refi lled with DEX- COOL™. No short-term damage will occur, however, the service interval will be reduced from 5 years to 2 
years.

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

We can post straight from the cell phone now.  The game has changed. This is from my 2014 SV233 with the 343 PCM. Freshwater cooled. It might help in your research. 

CCB54652-BA56-474E-B17F-41C7A5C32499.jpeg

A373D449-2250-4E80-8CBF-06911806BBE9.jpeg

F5A5DB04-4390-461D-88E2-E9A37A1BE1E3.jpeg

Edited by RhuntIII

InfinitySurf    302

Thanks Rhunt. I have the exact same manual for my 2014. I literally read it cover to cover (more than once, as sad as that sounds), still does not say much about the Dex-cool specifics. Think I have found what I needed now tho, at least enough that I am comfortable with it. Gonna drain it as some point for sure this year, flush and put new Dex-cool in the system just to be sure its clean. Probably wait till fall tho

I have a local acquaintance that I recently met, he is driving to pick up a 2014 SV233, he will be back with it on Thurs if it checks out with mechanic, etc. He is fairly new to inboard game tho has owned other boats like most of us did before getting a wake boat. I will help him with service, has same ZR409 engine mine does....and of course we will get to play on each others boats this summer as well. Hopefully it checks out and he comes home with the boat so I can satisfy my OCD on something else now that mine is almost done and ready for the summer.

InfinitySurf    302

So finally worked up the nerve to start sanding and doing the cutting compound on boat today. Nothing crazy....some light scratches here and there and one long scratch from when it was dry docked, radio-edit forklift driver left a nice scratch from bottom of hull up to bow about 3ft long, guess more of a scrape instead of scratch. Also some water spots and minor oxidation was starting that I could not get off with anything I tried (and I did try the TR-3 Nick...it did take some off but was not removing everything. I will be great for keeping up with it tho if I do that twice a year now). Anyway, got my wetsanding done, pic #1 is a 2x2 area I did and I was pretty nervous after it dried and I saw this. Pic #2 is after I used Boat Candy compound and did 2 good coats goings slowly, back and forth. I can tell you I feel MUCH more confident now that I have done this and know I can do it. (don't have to kill and then tie rocks to sink people that scratch boat now, lol). Just finished, got entire boat compounded today and I am sore as hell. Had at least 7hrs into wet sanding and compounding the hull of boat today, tomorrow I will hit the top cap and then use the Boat Candy polisher to wrap it up (messy job for sure). Looks damn good with just the cutting compound done, this thing is gonna be a mirror once the polishing and wax is done! I go to beach next week with family and when I get back, my new vinyl will be installed, will be like having a new boat.

Sanded scratches 1. resized.jpg

Compounded 1. resized.jpg

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

Oh that first pic made me sick. lol. Looks good. Man you really stripped that boat down. Those pics of your bow without the vinyl is crazy naked. Looking forward to seeing her all gussied up.