RhuntIII

PCM EX343 Yearly Maintenance 2014 SV233

RhuntIII    555

My up dated field check list. Once I get back to my boat I'll find the duel battery, transmission and v-drive type. I could use some direction for part numbers on the distributor, rotor, plug wires and zink Anode. I'll try to get pics of the project and post up as well.

pcm343 001.jpg

Bongo Fury    640

My  2013 233 yearly check list......take boat to Trav at Hillside.   

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555
15 hours ago, Bongo Fury said:

My  2013 233 yearly check list......take boat to Trav at Hillside.   

I'll do the same thing I did with my Avy as I would rather do the work myself than to trailer the boat to our Central and North Texas dealers. I wish we had a reliable service dealer that was local. Once I start the process I'll post up pics for the hands on guys.

RhuntIII    555

The updated, updated version. Parts for my yearly and for the Valterra valve swap are arriving Monday.

2014343CL 001.jpg

RhuntIII    555

A few pics from the project. I thought I got pics of the fuel filters but I did not.  

...Might have to get a new helper.

IMG_5994.jpg

IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

IMG_5997.jpg

IMG_5998.jpg

IMG_5999.jpg

IMG_6001.jpg

IMG_6002.jpg

RhuntIII    555

Never mind I see the fuel filters.

I'll keep my helper around a little longer. Heck, I spend just as much time in his boat as I do in mine. lol.

IMG_6003.jpg

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6016.jpg

IMG_6061.jpg

DrNate    426

Your Helper needs his boat done now :)

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Nice pics, I have done everything needed on mine to be ready for Spring, except the 2 fuel filters, the engine impeller and ballast impellers. Figured I would do mine in the spring so it does not "shape" in the cold weather we have been having (tho that may not even be a thing), been unusually cold here in NC (plus I don't have a heated garage yet and don't wanna freeze while compacting myself in the back of boat).

I know you bought the boat a few months ago, do you know how many hours were on that impeller to show those wear marks? I have the ZR409, but I know these engines are very similar. Mine has 91hrs on it from this summer but after draining water out of everything 6 weeks ago or so, I had trouble getting it to prime and suck up the AF...tried 4-5 times for about 30 seconds each, but it just didn't want to pull in the AF since engine was dry (yes, I had the black plastic piece pushed into the ball so it was open). I ended up buying a $60 water pump from Harbor Freight 2 weeks ago and "pushed" AF thru system last week (turned on pump at same time as starting the engine) cause I like the anti-corrosion qualities of having the system full of AF, plus the extra peace of mind. Took less than 60 seconds to run 5 gallons thru it that way. But brought that up cause guessing that my impeller probably got a little tore up running it dry like that even tho it was not for long. Guess I will find out soon enough.

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555
3 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Nice pics, I have done everything needed on mine to be ready for Spring, except the 2 fuel filters, the engine impeller and ballast impellers. Figured I would do mine in the spring so it does not "shape" in the cold weather we have been having (tho that may not even be a thing), been unusually cold here in NC (plus I don't have a heated garage yet and don't wanna freeze while compacting myself in the back of boat).

I know you bought the boat a few months ago, do you know how many hours were on that impeller to show those wear marks? I have the ZR409, but I know these engines are very similar. Mine has 91hrs on it from this summer but after draining water out of everything 6 weeks ago or so, I had trouble getting it to prime and suck up the AF...tried 4-5 times for about 30 seconds each, but it just didn't want to pull in the AF since engine was dry (yes, I had the black plastic piece pushed into the ball so it was open). I ended up buying a $60 water pump from Harbor Freight 2 weeks ago and "pushed" AF thru system last week (turned on pump at same time as starting the engine) cause I like the anti-corrosion qualities of having the system full of AF, plus the extra peace of mind. Took less than 60 seconds to run 5 gallons thru it that way. But brought that up cause guessing that my impeller probably got a little tore up running it dry like that even tho it was not for long. Guess I will find out soon enough.

There is no telling on that impeller. I'm guessing 130 hours. Change yours out just to be 100%. I'll change mine out next year and if it ran like my Avy did I'll go every 2 years.

InfinitySurf    302

Yes, I planned to change it out either way before its first voyage this spring (along with the 2 fuel filters and 3 ballast impellers), I always replace my impeller in off season even if it looks good....this is just the first winter for this boat since I bought it Feb 2017. Especially since I can do it myself, its cheap and easy preventative maintenance for something that could create a bad overheat issue in middle of summer and for $40 and a couple hours its not worth the risk to me.

Ran a Nauticurl suck gate this past summer (you listing or running suck gate?) and love my surf wave, thinking about installing GSA in Spring since I will probably keep this boat a while and would be nice to practice transfers..my buddy has a 2006 LSV247 that throws a great wave with GSA. Mine is also a 2014 and at point where I don't think it will depreciate much over next 2-3 years (with new boats costing more every year and used market being pretty strong) and if I went new (FI23 or RI237), I would get the hard depreciation hit and I am about to start building my new lake home, break ground in a few weeks. Excited for this summer since I am sure to get more hours surfing, living on the water vs trailering. Put 91hrs on my boat this summer and got 50-60 surfing with my buddy since we trade off every week.

RhuntIII    555

No flappers and no ram fill. My233 has CATS and that seems to work very similar to a flapper. When we ride we do slight list and a 3up-3down then rotate. Riders that want both a starboard and port waves have to stand in line because we do swap sides but only after a swim break. 

• Like 1

DrNate    426

I have the ZR409 as well and we're fixing to do it.  Everything I read says it's the same as the 343, so we'll let you know.

• Like 1

DrNate    426

By the way, whoever said the 409 is just like the 343 was wrong.  The only thing that is the same is the impeller, the cartridge fuel filter, and the oil filter.  I have an inline fuel filter instead of the water/fuel separator filter and the belt is different also.  Fuel filter also on opposite side.  

h20king    794

Wait tell you see a new 409 no closed cooling  inline fuel filter, water fuel separator, and a pump canister fuel filter.  Water drains are blue plugs now like mercruiser . Total pain in the a## . Had to go winterize the new boat yesterday  because of late February winter blast.

InfinitySurf    302

The new 409 made by Marine PowerT Think they call it the ZR4, is that still PCM? I saw that engine in the FI23 here that I looked at and I noticed that its pretty different than my 2014 ZR409. Sounded like the HP and Torque was also different from what I saw in recent ad, not sure why....tho that could have been due to how they do their testing. Curious if the power really is different between the 2. I really like the partial closed cooling in my ZR409, makes it easy to winterize and don't have to worry about the heater system.

RhuntIII    555

I think it's just the blocks that might be the same. Every thing else that's bolted on the block is different.

h20king    794

Blocks are for sure different.  Our new 409 is nothing like our 343.

RhuntIII    555

Something's gotta be different for sure to get more horsepower. I haven't done much research on the 409 because I don't own one.

h20king    794
1 hour ago, RhuntIII said:

Something's gotta be different for sure to get more horsepower. I haven't done much research on the 409 because I don't own one.

I did not either. It was the standard engine and at sea level it's more than enough power. The upgrade to the 450 is 5k. I have been around fineline boats long enough to remember that the 409 was the upgrade tell PCM came with direct injection in 16 and was the engine of choice in larger boats than the Fi so I saved the coin for the engine upgrade and went with other options. 

InfinitySurf    302

For sure that 409 will be plenty of power at sea level. I have never been able to bog mine down and have run my SV with 5k of ballast and over 8 adults. I ended up dropping some ballast cause wave was so big it was crashing over my sundeck and into boat when I stopped for fallen rider. Was a good problem to have, lol. Course freeboard on SV is less than FI and for sure less than RI.