Sign in to follow this  
Jlagos

Mold prevention

Jlagos    23

So I am aware that the best prevention of mold is to control moisture at all times. However, sometimes water gets past the barriers we put up an we do not realize the problem until after mold has formed. There are a couple of products available that try to prevent mold formation and  was wondering if anyone has tried them. I did find an article in practical sailor website which gives a favorable review of the products. Amazon reviews also look pretty good. 

3M Marine Mildew Block Spray

Concrobium mold control (I know it can be purchase in Home Depot. 

Cwazy1    89

You can only control mold with a spray like that to a certain degree. It'll never be perfect and if you have enough water ingress then you'll end up with mold in spots where the spray either was diluted out, or spots you missed. 

The best way is to (1) obviously do your best to prevent water ingress into your boat. Whether that is through your cover, or down your tower. Make sure your cover is tented and also secured around the tower. This can mean sealing the holes the tower takes to get through the cover. 

Another preventive measure is to make sure you have adequate airflow to allow your interior to dry if there is moisture inside. This means either making sure your vents are open, or installing vents. 

Third, is increasing the temperature in the boat to reduce the humidity. A bilge heater in the cabin area can go a long ways in reducing overall moisture levels. It'll ensure your cushions never frost over in a freezing night. 

Jlagos    23

All very good points. I haven't figured out a way to keep the little bit of water that enters the cover openings around the gladiator tower yet. 

InfinitySurf    302

You could maybe use blue or green painters tape to wrap around the top of the cover at tower legs? I did that on a trip to TN where I drove thru a rainstorm and it worked well for me tho that was only for 2 days. Should seal well enough to keep most of the water out for a longer period and painters tape is supposed to come off without leaving residue like duct tape would....tho if in the sun you probably want to replace the tape once a month since it will dry out and probably "bake" it to the paint over a long period.

Also if you have power....but a $20 box fan under the cover on low to circulate the air along with having vents open.

Hangtyte system works really well to help keep the cover tented. Really easy to retro fit to your existing cover.

Cwazy1    89

I was going to suggest taking some seran wrap and wrapping it tight, then taking some duct tape and wrapping over that. That way you don't get residue on your tower/cover, but will still have the protection. 

Other than that you can probably create a sort of upside down cone using some rubber liner and hose clamp that around your tower so that when water flows down the tower, it flows around the opening of the cover for the tower. 

Jlagos    23

Good ideas, don't know why I i didn't think of the tape previously. I'm always looking for the most complex fixes possible. The saran wrap also a good thought to keep the adhesive off. 

Jake707    171

Is one dryer good for the whole boat? I normally spend $40+ in damp rids so for a $30 more on one of these type units I might have to give it a shot.

Cwazy1    89
12 hours ago, Tayhalla said:

I would be careful with one of these because it isn't a protected spark. If used in a bilge with open flow into the engine compartment, you need to ensure there is zero flammable fumes.