Sign in to follow this  
Mrwick

238 demo

Mrwick    65

Going for a demo on a 2017 s238 Friday afternoon.  It has upgraded 1000 pound sumos in the rear pnp's.  I'm cautiously optimistic that I will like the wave but am skeptical at the same time because I feel spoiled by my dialed 226 wake.  Any thoughts from you 238 guys?

h20king    794

Loved my 226 but love my 238 more. My 238 is a 16 which in my opinion out surfs the 17 and newer 238's. They changed the prop shaft angle in 17 as well as incorporating a double a plate into the trim plate. If you read the threads guys struggle to dial it in and pics of all the wakes are dirty. My bet is you will like your wake better but love the size of the 238

• Like 1

Mrwick    65

238 demo is complete.......nice, but I was not blown away in any aspect......quicksurf is pretty slick.....quickfill is nice.......the extra size is nice but it seemed like it sat in the water lower than my 226......that might have just been a perception thing..... not sure........I'm not sure if I would be stepping up waves or not.......I think I need to catch a ride from someone that has theirs dialed........bottom line......there wasn't enough of a difference from what I already have to justify the extra cash to trade.....

xj1514    13

Without 1100's and 600 lbs of lead and 4 people minimum in the boat, the surf wave is less than impressive. The lead must be placed far back in the lockers. 

Mrwick    65
23 hours ago, xj1514 said:

Without 1100's and 600 lbs of lead and 4 people minimum in the boat, the surf wave is less than impressive. The lead must be placed far back in the lockers. 

It had 1000lb sumos in the rear but no lead........I have 500 lbs of lead plus 1000lb sumos in my 226.   That's what it took to get the great height and length plus the push I wanted.....umm and 400lbs under the side seat and all hard tanks full.   I am in agreeance with H when he said I wouldn't be blown away.  Maybe a demo on the new FI would be more impressive????????

xj1514    13

I demo'ed a stock 17' 226 before I got my 238, and have never seen a dialed in 226, but I can say with extra ballast my wave is impressive in height and shape, but not length. The push goes away as I try to get a longer wave. Also, I took out lead this weekend to try to wakeboard, and the surf wave got tiny and didn't improve the wakeboard wave. This will be my only season in a 238 if I can help it. Very finicky, lots of issues, and doesnt wakeboard at slower speeds. 

Mrwick    65
38 minutes ago, xj1514 said:

I demo'ed a stock 17' 226 before I got my 238, and have never seen a dialed in 226, but I can say with extra ballast my wave is impressive in height and shape, but not length. The push goes away as I try to get a longer wave. Also, I took out lead this weekend to try to wakeboard, and the surf wave got tiny and didn't improve the wakeboard wave. This will be my only season in a 238 if I can help it. Very finicky, lots of issues, and doesnt wakeboard at slower speeds. 

This is great insight X.....thanks.  I and my kids like to do a little wakeboarding and wakeskating ourselves......that being said, I'm still searching for the right weight balance to get a "good" wake.  I can achieve an ok at best wake for boarding.  I am kinda spoiled because we board behind my friends nautique 230 that throws a perfect wake every time......when it's time to surf, everyone comes back to the 226.....lol

xj1514    13

The 230 is scheduled for demo in October as they are out of stock at the moment, that is most likely what I will be looking to get. Does it not surf well? Ive read it needs some extra weight as well. 

Edited by xj1514

Mrwick    65
27 minutes ago, xj1514 said:

The 230 is scheduled for demo in October as they are out of stock at the moment, that is most likely what I will be looking to get. Does it not surf well? Ive read it needs some extra weight as well. 

It surfs well.....the skim wave I would put in the very good catagory, but if you are a surf style rider, you will be left wanting......I personally like the 230 wave, its pushy and mellow at the same time.......great to learn on and great for a cruise......that said, it's not as tall of a wave as my 226......my sweet spot is a little longer and my wave is     more forgiving in rougher water......if you're  more of a boarder than a surfer, it's a great choice.   The G23 may be a little better if you want the best of both worlds

xj1514    13

G23 or Ri237 are top on my list but really want ti stay at the same'ish pricepoint. 

Either way this boat is getting traded in even if its on an 18' 238 

Mrwick    65
11 minutes ago, xj1514 said:

G23 or Ri237 are top on my list but really want ti stay at the same'ish pricepoint. 

Either way this boat is getting traded in even if its on an 18' 238 

Price point is the problem......well equipped G's or RI's are easily 20 to 30k plus higher in price vs. the 238's....... the new FI may be the cost effective choice for a 100k-ish.......lol......like that's cost effective?

xj1514    13

Cost effective, and entry level boat should be under 40k...like Bayliner. 

CO Surfer    289

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Bayliner!

Mrwick    65
3 hours ago, CO Surfer said:

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Bayliner!

I'm more of a Glastron guy myself.......lol