MFaso

Dropped the rope. Video in post 17' s238

MFaso    56

Well, with the help of my dealer and following you all and most helpful cwazy, I was able to drop the rope easily last night and really ride for the first time. Even tried my first 360. I know day 1 I shouldn't have been thinking of 360s but it felt good. Here is a video. Felt like I was on top of the world driving home from the lake last night. The feeling was just insane and exactly what I wanted. I know that the wave can be cleaner and nicer but once it worked I left it alone. I'm sure my qs setting was too high and my trim tab was off a bit too crushing the wave.. But, it worked... Any critique is welcome. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out! 

• Like 5

MFaso    56

I should add....only person IN the boat was the driver. :)

xj1514    13

Dang it man! How???

I swear my wave looks identical, but no push. May I ask what settings?

Also, congrats. Looks awesome. Nice work.  

12 hours ago, xj1514 said:

Dang it man! How???

When you say no push, I need to ask- compared to what?    Have you had success surfing a boat or wave?   I ask because I've experienced this with many people where they haven't actually learned to surf and when they don't have immediate success they feel that the wave has no push- and this is on all different boats, brands, etc. Most of the time, when you're still learning the technique, it feels as if there is no push. More often then not, the push is there, but the technique that's required to "feel" the push isn't.   It just takes some time.    A good starting point on the 238 is fill everything except for the bow, quick surf around 80, tab around 70, then I'll normally empty the non-surf side quickfill until the lip cleans up. If you have enough crew, skip this step and just sit them on the surf side.  11ish mph.   This may not be a perfect set up or exactly to your liking, but it will undoubtedly produce a surfable wave.   All in all, there is difference between the wave having push, and not being able to feel it. One has to do with the boat, the other the rider.  The best thing to do is to dial in a starting point and leave it alone until you're actually surfing. When you're constantly changing set ups you end up chasing your tail and just spend all your time getting use to the new set up rather then focusing on developing proper technique. 

Edited by South Shore Marina NJ
  • Like 2

And Mike, looks awesome! Glad you're stoked on the success!  I know a couple weeks ago you were super bummed, awesome to see you crushing it now.

CO Surfer    289

You look pretty good for just losing the rope.  You'll progress quickly.  Looks like the wave would benefit from a little more weight in the boat.

• Like 1

MFaso    56
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:10 AM, xj1514 said:

Dang it man! How???

Well, first, looks aren't everything(when it comes to your wave.....lol)

My settings were 100% pnp port, 100% QF port, 50% QF Starboard, 40% pnp Starboard. Set your speed to 11.1. Set your QS on and start at 30. Start going and increment the QS(Starboard number) until the face of the wave is clean. Mine was at 50 in the video.(conditions, speed and ballast will make it change a little) Then play with the trim tab until the lip gets clean and doesn't throw water over. In the video mine was 44.(and not clean but I didn't care because it worked)

I went out yesterday and it was REALLY windy and choppy. Also a ton of boats and rollers. I used the exact same method and even got the wave a little cleaner by putting the tab to about 54 or so. Dropped the rope every single time with no problems at all. Trust me, I feel your pain. I was super bummed at first and my dealer South Shore kept telling giving me tips and surfed the boat no problem to test it for himself.

My buddy whom I grew up wakeboarding, Ocean surfing, snowboarding with is getting up fine but not dropping the rope like me on the same exact day the video was taken. He is dropping it but for maybe 10 seconds at a time and then losing it. Follow the steps I said above and you will have a good wave. From there it's definitely a "feel". I tried to tell my buddy what I'm doing and it's so hard to really explain.

I will say this....Everyone says weight on your front foot but I started to REALLY get it when I don't focus on that. Instead of pressing on your front foot, just move your hips forward so they are over your front foot. Put your hand on your knee like I did in the video when I dropped back a little. That forces weight in the right place. I find myself having to put weight on my back foot a bit more now because the wave will easily shoot me into the boat if I don't. Also, I removed the rear two fins on the board.

Also, credit to Cwazy for the setup notes on the wave. He gave me those notes in a text and I followed them while I was out there and magic happened. :)

MFaso    56
16 hours ago, CO Surfer said:

You look pretty good for just losing the rope.  You'll progress quickly.  Looks like the wave would benefit from a little more weight in the boat.

Thanks. Definitely gets better with more people/weight. Only the driver was in the boat, which was essentially non surf side weight. He was videoing while driving so he wasn't up close to me. The wave was nice. Hard to see from his angle while driving.

Bongo Fury    640
20 hours ago, CO Surfer said:

X2 on this.....looking good and throw on more surfside weight!

Edited by Bongo Fury

xj1514    13
On 6/19/2017 at 0:42 PM, MFaso said:

Well, first, looks aren't everything(when it comes to your wave.....lol)

My settings were 100% pnp port, 100% QF port, 50% QF Starboard, 40% pnp Starboard. Set your speed to 11.1. Set your QS on and start at 30. Start going and increment the QS(Starboard number) until the face of the wave is clean. Mine was at 50 in the video.(conditions, speed and ballast will make it change a little) Then play with the trim tab until the lip gets clean and doesn't throw water over. In the video mine was 44.(and not clean but I didn't care because it worked)

I went out yesterday and it was REALLY windy and choppy. Also a ton of boats and rollers. I used the exact same method and even got the wave a little cleaner by putting the tab to about 54 or so. Dropped the rope every single time with no problems at all. Trust me, I feel your pain. I was super bummed at first and my dealer South Shore kept telling giving me tips and surfed the boat no problem to test it for himself.

My buddy whom I grew up wakeboarding, Ocean surfing, snowboarding with is getting up fine but not dropping the rope like me on the same exact day the video was taken. He is dropping it but for maybe 10 seconds at a time and then losing it. Follow the steps I said above and you will have a good wave. From there it's definitely a "feel". I tried to tell my buddy what I'm doing and it's so hard to really explain.

I will say this....Everyone says weight on your front foot but I started to REALLY get it when I don't focus on that. Instead of pressing on your front foot, just move your hips forward so they are over your front foot. Put your hand on your knee like I did in the video when I dropped back a little. That forces weight in the right place. I find myself having to put weight on my back foot a bit more now because the wave will easily shoot me into the boat if I don't. Also, I removed the rear two fins on the board.

Also, credit to Cwazy for the setup notes on the wave. He gave me those notes in a text and I followed them while I was out there and magic happened. :)

Thanks so much. I will plug these settings in this weekend. For some reason I feel more push from having weight in the front.