Newman44

Need help choosing a wakesurf board

Newman44    0

Ok Guys I'm in need of help here, I'm new to wakesurfing and I'm trying to find a beginners board with good push that will help me stay in the wake. Right now I have a CWB voodoo and I just can't seem to get enough push out of it to get comfortable on the wake. I'm 5' 11" 200lbs and surfing behind a '17 S226 thanks for any help.

MFaso    56

I'm VERY new too and started a similar thread. Most of the guys here posted there and there is a TON of good info. You'll spend a few hours copy and pasting names and boards to check prices and such from that thread.

From my understanding the push might be more the wave than the board but you would need to post your wake setup so the guys can tell you if you need to add weight or if the board isn't for you.

Check out the thread called "let's talk wakesurf boards".

What sized Voodoo do you have?  They have a 61" Voodoo that I would think would be plenty behind a properly weighted V226.   If you have the 4'5" or 4'10" Voodoo that is probably too small to start.   If you want a cheap good beginner board you can try the $249 61" Liquid Force Slaysh Wakesurf Board at Wakemakers to get into a bigger size.     

h20king    794

I always recommend buying a board you can grow into instead of buying a board you will grow out of its cheaper in the long run .  We have taught lots of people how to ride and all of them have learned to ride on one of my soulcraft boards. When  learning how to ride think of the board as a teeter totter.  You want to try to find neutral. To much weight on the back foot  and you will blow out the back of the wake because that is the breaks. To much weight on the front foot and you will charge at the boat because that is the gas. One pointer that always helps is look at the back corner of the boat on the side you are surfing. Don't throw the rope tell you can go for some ways with it slack. When you are ready to toss it just throw it to the opposite side of the wake. When learning if you try to throw it in the boat it forces you to look up which shifts your weight to the back foot putting on the breaks and more often than not falling out of the back of the wake 

Edited by h20king
  • Like 2

daz28iroc    73

^^ second that. Exactly the same advice was given to me and is now passed on to those learning on my boat.

Jake707    171

I think H nailed it so this is really nothing more than getting my post count up hahaha admin feel free to ding me on this one. Im ashamed as Im typing haha

only thing I would recommend is maybe going with a surf style board initially. They are generally faster and more stable side to side but will still leave plenty of room in growth to learn tricks etc. The skim style boards are generally a lot more loose and slippery and can be harder for a newbie to learn on and the last thing you want to do on the lake with friends and beautiful weather is get frustrated  haha

Newman44    0

Thanks guys I'm getting there I guess I'm just impatient ha! I have the larger voodoo I do know that (it was pretty much given to me when I bought the boat from the dealer so I wasn't picky) as far as setup I have been running one I found on here and I'll list it at the bottom. I just purchased a phase five oogle as I was told it would be a good beginner board for a 200 lb guy. Anyway thanks for any and all help and let me know what you think about my setup and feel free to suggest changes. Most of my runs have been only with my wife in the boat driving.

S226

surf left

QF port 100% QF starboard  95%

both PNP 100%

Center tank 25%

Trim 50%

QS port 0% QS starboard 80%

Speed around 10.6

Newman44    0

And thanks h20king for the tips I'll keep them in mind for next time definitely.

I don't have first hand experience with the S226 mine is the V226.   But in order to get a great wave on the same hull,  I run 1100lbs in the port side locker, 600lbs under the port pass seat and 100lb+ in bow along with the center and port hard tanks full.  Run about 10-15% trim for port surfing.   So I'm guessing your QF is 500lbs, PNP is 550, and center is ~350?    I'm thinking adding  another 5-600lbs port side will help that wave.   Next QF starboard <20%, PNP SB =empty, center take full, trim 10-15. 

Fine tune with QS or not.  You should see a much nicer surf wave. 

Edited by 2ndtimearound
spellerin

Newman44    0
1 hour ago, 2ndtimearound said:

I don't have first hand experience with the S226 mine is the V226.   But in order to get a great wave on the same hull,  I run 1100lbs in the port side locker, 600lbs under the port pass seat and 100lb+ in bow along with the center and port hard tanks full.  Run about 10-15% trim for port surfing.   So I'm guessing your QF is 500lbs, PNP is 550, and center is ~350?    I'm thinking adding  another 5-600lbs port side will help that wave.   Next QF starboard <20%, PNP SB =empty, center take full, trim 10-15. 

Fine tune with QS or not.  You should see a much nicer surf wave. 

I'm trying to see what I can do with the boat before I start adding extra weight but If i have to I will, I think the boat has enough stock for what I want I'm just struggling to get it set right. It has 1,000 lbs in hard tanks and 1,100 additional PNP in the back.

Listed 226 is the way to go so- fill surf side only and add a bunch of people for weight.  You are going to want more weight. 

Even with the added weight I run its even better when we have a stuffed boatload of peeps and we get the monster wave going.