resko1    0

So over fall and winter we had some spots of mold and mildew on the vinyl. Gave our avy a good cleaning yesterday with simple green cleaner. It worked pretty good but some of the mold stains didnt come out of the white vinyl. Anybody have any reccomendations? Picked up this stuff recommended by local boat guys called armada mighty brite but doesnt work very well. And i'm going be very picky on what goes on my vinyl. Its an 04 avy with 101 hours and in vinyl is soft and perfect condition minus these few spots. Ive been told stay away from bleach and harsh chemicals.

Edited by resko1

Jake707    171

We had to use Starbrite Mold and Mildew remover this season as our tarp wasn't ventilated and grew mold all over the place, It worked great getting it all out but I wouldn't recommend it for a regular cleaner only if basic cleaners aren't working. Then go back over it with conditioner and you should be good to go.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Brite-Mildew-Stain-Remover-16-oz/51201200?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227038934455&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=80424992449&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-177657711169&wl5=9019801&wl6=&wl7=1013778&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=51201200&wl13=&veh=sem

• Like 1

volzalum    280

Your best bet is to uncover the boat when you have a string of rain free days and let the sun shine on the vinyl. That typically clears up any mold spotting. 

• Like 1

DrNate    426

X2 on Starbrite!  It was the only thing that worked on my mildew spots.  i was careful to recondition immediately after, however, as it does have bleach in it.  But it works great.  Spray and let it sit before scrubbing/wiping

resko1    0

Thanks guys. Ill give the starbrite a try. Im using 303 aerospace protectant directly after everythings dry. Ive heard that stuff is the best for vinyl conditioner.

And yes i do try to let it get as much air as possible when we have dry days. I noticed some very small spotting when we purchased the boat last fall. Then after putting it in storage there must have been moisture in there yet.

InfinitySurf    302

So couple options for you...I used the Starbrite to clean my cover before re-water proofing and it worked very well. Have not tried it on seats tho. West Marine sells some mildew stain remover and its mild and didnt do much, total crap.

I ordered 3M Marine mildew stain remover from Amazon....that worked great (if you wanna wait for the order to come in)...also, the dollar store sells this stuff called "totally awesome" laundry pre-wash, works great and only $1.

On my I/O's....I sometimes used either a small amount of ajax or comet...hard to beat that stuff, of course it does have bleach and is harder on the vinyl, but a little of that and water with soft bristle scrub brush and not much didnt come off. If you condition right after, I dont think a time or two will hurt it.

I heard that boat manufactures USED to recommend 409, but now specifically tell you not to use it. Not sure what they added or how they learned that stuff is not good to use.

resko1    0

Thanks for the info.

Is 303 protectant best to use? I want something that keeps the vinyl soft but helps repell stains. So far, ive had good luck with it.

Edited by resko1

DrNate    426
7 hours ago, resko1 said:

Thanks for the info.

Is 303 protectant best to use? I want something that keeps the vinyl soft but helps repell stains. So far, ive had good luck with it.

I love the 303 protectant and I know a lot of people on here use it. 

I will say that once I began to get mildew spots it seemed easier to get them the next time.  I had never had them until last year.  Kinda strange, but then again, trailered the boat home in a deluge of rain at the end of last year and that was probably the culprit

resko1    0

Thanks.

Yeah that basically what happened to us. Was rain as we put it into the garage.

InfinitySurf    302

303 is great in my opinion as well...its all I use after cleaning

Jake707    171

Yup we used 303 and it works great.