JJOcean    30
14 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Surfed today for 3hrs with another CC member and he brough 400lbs of lead with him. First we put it in back but it made the wave super steep with huge curl and it was not as long as we wanted....so we took all the lead to bow and all I can say is, wow!

Where exactly were you putting the lead in the bow with the bow sac filled?

lovetosurf    48

Quick thought. Since the general feedback on here seems to be that quicksurf on the FS line does not compare to listed but suck gates do and in some opinions are better, why not try make better use the quicksurf actuator and plates by changing the angle, mounting them close to upright so they swing out not down to create a similar effect? Thoughts?

stoked    1,039

1) QS comes installed from the factory, so unless you buy the system uninstalled, you're talking about lots and lots of holes in your boat

2) It's called surfgate and Malibu has the patent for it ;-)

If you look over in DIY I have two threads about making them for my Avy. They worked great for shallow water surfing, they helped clean up the wave, but they didn't really do anything for the push. 

InfinitySurf    302

JJ, I put all 400lbs in space under my bow cushion...fit perfectly there. I actually just ordered 500lbs of my own lead today from leadwake. After having that awesome wave yesterday, I cant live without the lead now...and he has the 10% off right now (spring10, or fire10). He also just got 5 pallets in a couple days ago if anyone is interested.

Lovetosurf...Because it was just me and one other person...not able to get video yesterday. Hopefully be able to do next weekend since I leave for beach again tomorrow for a the weekend. I cant upload pics anyway tho cause too large from laptop and last time I tried taptalk, it would not work either, so have no idea how I would do video. I am a custom G.C. and technical stuff is not my forte. For most part, pics don't really show the wave cause you can angle a pic to make wave look sick when its just average...or shoot from high up and it looks small, and no picture shows the push created. Video would be better in my opinion tho cause you can see what kind of push wave has by seeing how hard the surfer has to work. Yesterday, either of us could have just stood there and rode a couple miles the push was so nice.

By no means am I saying that this or other boats without a system cant do the same thing listed, mine may be able to as well by adding lead (and I will try)...was just so easy with the suckgate, within 10mins of shifting lead around we had that wave dialed in and ready to surf and only slightly tweaked it and that was only the speed (started at 11.4 and ended up at 11mph). This is my first year having an inboard and I don't know many people that ride, so plenty could have to do with my inexperience....tho I bought boat from my friend and he had owned surf boats for a long time. While wave was big and fairly steep.....always lacked push in my opinion (the first time I surfed was last year and went out with him 6-8 times for a couple runs). This is the first time I have not had to work my tush off to not "wash out" the back of the wave and because of that, was able to focus on getting better by playing around, trying tricks and cutting up and down the wave. Dude I was with is much better than me, he was landing jumps and 360's and it was also helpful to watch him so I could see what I needed to be doing to improve.

Along those lines....the skim board I had before did not support my weight so I was always on my front foot just trying to keep up. The Doomswell Neo I have now is 4' 8" and I had a great time with it yesterday, but almost too buoyant for me and its super fast, felt like I was on the brakes most of the time when in middle of the sweet spot. He rode a Byerly Hazard that is a few years old....I rode it toward end and it seemed to be in between the 2 boards I have and I totally loved it. Felt right in the middle without having to either be on brakes or leaning way forward....very agile and easy to control. Really liked it personally.

If anyone is selling or knows where to get a Byerly Hazard....I would be very interested. From searching last night, seems that 2015 may be the last year they made them and I want the 4' 8"....NOT the 5' 2" and I was not able to find a new one and I am not buying another board without KNOWING I am gonna love it. So please hit me up if you know where I can get one! All it takes is one fun afternoon and I drop money on 500lbs of lead and want a new board, lol.

Stoked...Really surprised you have an issue with the 409 engine at 300ft elevation. I had ballast maxed out yesterday (800ft elevation) with the suckgate on which obviously adds some drag, starting/running at 11mph was nothing...and when I went to dump my Ramfill, I still had full ballast and it jumped right up to 15mph and felt like it had more if I had wanted to push it. I have #1433 (14.25 x 14.25) prop...maybe that is the difference. Or, maybe you meant 3000ft elevation?

• Like 1

stoked    1,039

No, I meant 300ft. So that's full rams and full pnps? and it may have been closer to 12 people now that I think about it

CO Surfer    289

I loaded up my SV with both rear bags full, 350 lbs of lead in the lockers, and both Ramfills at 70%, and just me in the boat and I could not get over 10 mph. It was way nose high.  I'm pretty sure if I had some weight in the bow, it would have been ok.  It was just way too much all out back.  When I stopped the boat, the wave came over my swim deck onto my back seat!

InfinitySurf    302

Yes, I had all ramfill and all PnP full in rear...and also had my bow sac and 400lbs of lead in front (total of 4,550lbs plus 200lb driver). Just before....when I did same thing setup except had the 400lbs of lead at back of boat on floor (not in locker)...wave was super steep and when I stopped suddenly, wave also washed over transom of boat and up onto the sundeck. Key was getting that lead weight up front cause it lengthened the wave....mellowed it out a touch so it was not so steep but still perfect to surf and didn't wash over transom when stopping cause the nose was pushed down (swim platform was still about 3-4" underwater). At first I was worried that I may risk rollers over bow with all that weight in bow but it didn't happen, probably cause I had rear loaded down plenty) didn't even have any close calls which surprised me a little cause the SV tends to ride a little low at bow at slower speeds (like when circling to pick up fallen surfer).

Slammed full ballast, lead and 12 people....I could see a potential power issue. I will find out soon, taking out 8 employees in 2 weeks for a boat outing. See what happens then. I am banking on even better wave, hopefully I wont have a power issue with all that weight. You may want to look into a bit more aggressive prop

stoked    1,039

Now I remember!! Bow weight is the key, once we moved 200lbs of lead forward we had a better time of it!

Cdifranco    463
34 minutes ago, stoked said:

Now I remember!! Bow weight is the key, once we moved 200lbs of lead forward we had a better time of it!

Remember kids, if you leave your weight in the back when it should be in the front, you're gunna have a bad time. 

Mrdeerwood    26
On 6/8/2017 at 1:25 PM, lovetosurf said:

, why not try make better use the quicksurf actuator and plates by changing the angle, mounting them close to upright so they swing out not down to create a similar effect? Thoughts?

On 6/8/2017 at 1:28 PM, stoked said:

1) QS comes installed from the factory, so unless you buy the system uninstalled, you're talking about lots and lots of holes in your boat

2) It's called surfgate and Malibu has the patent for it ;-). 

Agree w stoked, no way I'm drilling holes when I can suction a gate on in 5 seconds. What's funny is it's essentially the surfgate like Malibu but there waves lack push and mine doesn't.  It's gotta be the deeper v-hull. I hear the newer Malibu's w there deeper hull surf awesome. 

lovetosurf    48

Gotta share my suckgate experience. Got a Nauticurl for Father's Day, honestly wasn't expecting too much, only hoping it would help in shallow water as we live next to a 8-9ft deep lake.

We have a 2015 FS33 and really struggle to get a good wave in the shallow stuff, listed or quicksurf.

Slapped on the Nauticurl and was immediately blown away! Again, to be fair we haven't compared it in deeper water where our listed wave is fantastic but if the shallow water performance is anything to go by then I think we'll be impressed.

We've definitely seen taller and longer waves listed and in deeper water but I've honestly never surfed a wave with more push! It's off the hook! JMTC

IMG_7540.JPG

Edited by lovetosurf

InfinitySurf    302

The push is also what blew me away. Feels like I could just sit on board and ride it all day long while taking a nap, lol. Awesome for a noob surfer like me cause I no longer gotta spend all my time pumping to keep up with wave and could concentrate on carving and tricks.

• Like 1

CO Surfer    289

Wave looks remarkably good.

Mrdeerwood    26

Put some time in last weekend w the Swell. Ocassionally i set up for the kids to surf. I always tame down the wave so it's not very intimidating. One time I filled just the rams. NO pnp's, no lead, 3 adults 2 kids.  Slapped on the swell and actually had a descent little wave for them. I added a little QS just to try it and was amazed. The pic is of my 13yr old nephew first time surfing. I actually had to ride the wave just to see if it had push. Not as good as with full ballast and the swell but the swell/QS combo was a VERY quick set up with a surfable wave. 

IMG_4181.PNG

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Since i just figured out how to resize my pics using an online tool I found...and I was able to get out and surf tonight for an hour or so, figured I would post my Nauticurl wave too (no lead tonight). Finally talked wife into driving boat a few weeks ago so I can surf more often, she learned quick and is doing a good job even tho I can tell it makes her nervous to drive...(I make sure to tell her how awesome of a driver she is no matter what she does...she could run me over with boat and I would still tell her that was exactly what she was supposed to do, lol). Long as we go out on weekday evenings when lake is not busy, she is comfortable enough. How else is a guy gonna get enough surf time in? We made a deal, she drives while I surf....At all other times shen out, she relaxes and works on her tan...I keep an eye on kids. She thinks she is getting the better end of the deal!

Surfing resized.jpg