DarksideR    1,679
On 5/10/2017 at 4:36 AM, Mrdeerwood said:

I get the same thing on the regular side. Sometimes I wish I had a larger A-plate so I could get the nose down and lengthen the wave

Not sure a larger plate is the answer.

Edited by DarksideR

Mrdeerwood    26

The weather has been terrible lately in Mn, combined w work I haven't been out much. Did get a chance to play around with the swell once. One thing we did try was surfing shallower water. Normally I like 15' or deeper water because when I hit 12' or less I can see the wave gets noticeably smaller. We surfed 10-12' and I didn't notice much of a difference in the wave size. Guessin it's because of the side push of the swell and the lateral displacement instead of relying on the deep V vertical displacement? I do like that because the bay we park in up north isn't very deep so we normally drive across the lake to surf. As far as push, it had enough push to surf myself (6'2" 220lbs and my buddy, 6'2" 250lbs). Lol

IMG_3470.PNG

• Like 3

stoked    1,039

So do you notice a huge wave difference between listed without it and evenly weighted with it? 

Mrdeerwood    26
13 hours ago, stoked said:

So do you notice a huge wave difference between listed without it and evenly weighted with it? 

Honestly it's hard to tell. It's deceiving because the rear of the boat is level so I think there may be an illusion that the wave is taller/larger. I think it may be a little longer/bigger just because of the additional ballast because You can fill both rams since you aren't listing. It really makes lead unnecessary. I actually had to dump a little ram because with everything full it's a huge load. Especially if u have a little extra ballast stuffed here and there...

I did like the quick swap for goofy riders! Not that it takes that long to swap rams but still...

Edited by Mrdeerwood

Mrdeerwood    26

Did some more testing yesterday. I will post some hard data once I get through all the pix and videos at different settings. Pretty sure I'm selling all my lead (you don't need it when you can fill both rams) and sticking with the suck gate from now on. 

Edited by Mrdeerwood
  • Like 2

lovetosurf    48
6 hours ago, Mrdeerwood said:

Did some more testing yesterday. I will post some hard data once I get through all the pix and videos at different settings. Pretty sure I'm selling all my lead (you don't need it when you can fill both rams) and sticking with the suck gate from now on. 

Fantastic! can't wait to see the pics & data. Was just about to order some lead, may hold off to review your findings and perhaps order a wake shaper instead!

Mrdeerwood    26
22 hours ago, Nolance said:

I'll buy your lead.  How much ya got?

Sorry. Already sold. Kept 200lbs to throw up front because with all that ramfill the bow bag isn't enough. 

stoked    1,039

Did you have problems getting up to speed with both rams full? With any amount of crew, we struggled to hit speed

Mrdeerwood    26

Got a few pix from the weekend. Got a ton of video I need to go through with speed ballast and rpm's. Will post soon. 

Love how it floats. Didn't teather it. I actually only used the front suction cup once on purpose (left the rear one open) to see if it would fall off and it didn't. 

IMG_3789.JPG

Edited by Mrdeerwood

Mrdeerwood    26
On 5/27/2017 at 6:12 AM, stoked said:

Did you have problems getting up to speed with both rams full? With any amount of crew, we struggled to hit speed

I didn't. I'm running the zr409 at 800' elevation with the ACME 1615 14.5"x13.75" prop. I need to start a separate thread to see what everyone is running for rpm, loads and props for comparison. It is a huge load, AND wave. I don't think the 14" prop will push it

lovetosurf    48

Anybody got some video comparisons to post? curious to see the suckgate wave in action. Cheers!

Mrdeerwood    26

Wave pix can be so misleading. If you have ever shot them you know what I mean. A GoPro down low can make any wave look descent. An iPhone shot from the drivers seat... terrible! I can say after running my Swell now for 20 hours I will no longer be listing. Yes gas consumption may be up a bit but when u spend this kind of money on a boat what's a little more to get a better wave and the simplicity of flipping side to side. 

Here is a shot from today. My 12 year old. She is tall for 12 years 5'4". This is shot from rear facing seat port side (not the best angle) 

IMG_3925.JPG

InfinitySurf    302

So I got a full Nauticurl suckgate test done today on my SV244, ZR409 engine with #1433 prop. Regular side surfed

100% Ramfill on surf side and 80% on non-surf side to create slight list (2,250lbs). 100% in both rear PnP bags (1400lbs). Bow sac full at 500lbs. Surfed today for 3hrs with another CC member and he brough 400lbs of lead with him. First we put it in back but it made the wave super steep with huge curl and it was not as long as we wanted....so we took all the lead to bow and all I can say is, wow!

Total of 4,550lbs of ballast plus 1 of us driving at 200lbs while the other surfed....11-11.4mph @ 3,400rpm had an incredible wave that was nice and long with tons of push. Both of us recovered a few times from a good 20ft back several times. Best wave I have ever had hands down. Listed I run 3,200 so I was pretty happy that adding over 2,000 of ballast only increased my rpm by 200.

Since we surfed sets of 4-6 runs and kept switching off for 3hrs straight, I was also able to greatly improve my skills today. Finally feel like I am controlling the wave rather than being controlled by it. Great time, perfect weather even tho it was a bit windy. But point is Nauticurl suck gate vs listed. With the added lead, sure I can also get my listed wave a bit better, but no doubt that adding the lead to front so there was 900lbs up there lengthened it out more than I otherwise could have unless I had a fully loaded boat with people....and being able to add around 1700lbs to rear surfing slightly listed(250lb difference) with suckgate vs fully listed made a big difference. I am sure the newer boats with surf system do it similar....but without a surf system and the 3 tabs, doubt it gets much better on THIS boat, short of a ton of people in boat, or adding another 1000lbs of lead.

• Like 1

lovetosurf    48
5 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

So I got a full Nauticurl suckgate test done today on my SV244, ZR409 engine with #1433 prop. Regular side surfed

100% Ramfill on surf side and 80% on non-surf side to create slight list (2,250lbs). 100% in both rear PnP bags (1400lbs). Bow sac full at 500lbs. Surfed today for 3hrs with another CC member and he brough 400lbs of lead with him. First we put it in back but it made the wave super steep with huge curl and it was not as long as we wanted....so we took all the lead to bow and all I can say is, wow!

Total of 4,550lbs of ballast plus 1 of us driving at 200lbs while the other surfed....11-11.4mph @ 3,400rpm had an incredible wave that was nice and long with tons of push. Both of us recovered a few times from a good 20ft back several times. Best wave I have ever had hands down. Listed I run 3,200 so I was pretty happy that adding over 2,000 of ballast only increased my rpm by 200.

Since we surfed sets of 4-6 runs and kept switching off for 3hrs straight, I was also able to greatly improve my skills today. Finally feel like I am controlling the wave rather than being controlled by it. Great time, perfect weather even tho it was a bit windy. But point is Nauticurl suck gate vs listed. With the added lead, sure I can also get my listed wave a bit better, but no doubt that adding the lead to front so there was 900lbs up there lengthened it out more than I otherwise could have unless I had a fully loaded boat with people....and being able to add around 1700lbs to rear surfing slightly listed(250lb difference) with suckgate vs fully listed made a big difference. I am sure the newer boats with surf system do it similar....but without a surf system and the 3 tabs, doubt it gets much better on THIS boat, short of a ton of people in boat, or adding another 1000lbs of lead.

Fantastic! Pics?

Mrdeerwood    26
10 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

without a surf system and the 3 tabs, doubt it gets much better on THIS boat, short of a ton of people in boat, or adding another 1000lbs of lead.

Couldn't agree more, I'm sold on the suck gates. We ran 4 hours Monday, myself another CC member with a Ri237 and the SWELL guy (I'm waiting for gorpro and drone footage to post some pix). I have to be honest, I was very apprehensive about the suck gate but since I started using it I have gotten to know Adam (SWELL guy) and ridden with him a few times testing it. I don't want everyone to think I'm just plugging his product because the gates do work.

I know what you mean about bow ballast. All that ramfill requires extra otherwise the wave is steep.  I ran 200 up front under the bow filler but will try another 100 next time. With me driving 210lbs, one surfer and one guy shooting video (200lbs) we could definitely notice a difference when the guy doing video was on the back corner shooting. 

stoked    1,039
On 5/26/2017 at 7:39 AM, Mrdeerwood said:

Just so I know for comparison sake, do you feel that you had your listed wake completely dialed in before you started testing thie suck gate? 

Mrdeerwood    26
3 minutes ago, stoked said:

Just so I know for comparison sake, do you feel that you had your listed wake completely dialed in before you started testing thie suck gate? 

I honestly think we had it pretty good last season. I ran it for just over 100 hours and probably half of it was w another crew member that has a Ri237. He ran 110 hours on his Ri and I was on it for almost half (yes we had an awesome summer!) we spent a lot of time playing with the waves. I never ran 1000lbs lead but did run some very heavy loads (200 lead, plus 800 between sumo's) & occasionally had 8-10 people on. Sometimes it was better than others but I don't think I could have had it much better.

stoked    1,039
14 minutes ago, Mrdeerwood said:

I honestly think we had it pretty good last season. I ran it for just over 100 hours and probably half of it was w another crew member that has a Ri237. He ran 110 hours on his Ri and I was on it for almost half (yes we had an awesome summer!) we spent a lot of time playing with the waves. I never ran 1000lbs lead but did run some very heavy loads (200 lead, plus 800 between sumo's) & occasionally had 8-10 people on. Sometimes it was better than others but I don't think I could have had it much better.

Good to know. I know pictures are completely deceiving, but I feel my listed wave looks better than your suck gate wave just comparing photos. But I'm definitely going to do some testing as well. A friend on here may be selling his boat and I get first crack at his gate. (Too many other projects going on to fab my own). 

My big concern is getting up to speed. At 300ft elevation 8 of my friends and I tried out QS and we couldn't break 10mph which made it ridiculous to drain the rams, we had to drain the PnPs first just to be able to get over 10. So I've gone taboo on loading both rams above 70% at the same time. I'm running the 409 as well. 

In both photos the wave is clean past the rope length.

NAwb69G.jpg

Nu8uoH7.jpg

Edited by stoked
  • Like 2

Mrdeerwood    26

Also, we recently tested the competition and they all basically worked the same. I really didn't notice a difference with the larger suck gates. He has a SWELL XL we are going to try but after testing some of the larger gates I doubt it will do much better and make it to production. I like how it fits under my seat. 

IMG_4013.JPG