MFaso

Let's talk wakesurf boards...

Cwazy1    89

Depends on what kind of surfboard you're talking about. Doomswell is a glass board- think any custom shaped fish. The Gharwhal is an epoxy board. I'm not sure what you're familiar with riding on the open water, but thats the difference between the two wakesurf boards. You could probably throw the Gharwhal out of a 2 story building and it won't break. The Doomswell would probably crack in half.

I do not recommend getting something fragile for noobs to ride behind. Unless of course you aren't afraid of people breaking your stuff.

fragile as in, it will ding like a surfboard?

MFaso    56

I was set on the gnarwal but now I'm stuck. I know I'll need to let friends and family try my board specifically based on weight and all. Maybe the doom isn't for me right now even though I can get a blemish for 400? Man, tough to sort this out.

Cwazy1    89

If the board is for you, get the doomswell.

If the board is for everyone, get the gnarwhal.

Maybe hold off on a glassed board until you've acquired your basic quiver of indestructible boards first :)

Edited by Cwazy1

MFaso    56

It's for me but others will try it. Unless there is a total newbie board I can get for people who are out with me trying it for the first and maybe last time ever..lol newbie board at 100 and I'm in but I cant see that happening...

Cdifranco    463

In my opinion. Getting a noobie board so they can try it here and there is a waste of money. Ask me how many of those boards are underneath my back deck lol. Get the board YOU want to ride regardless of brand.

Cwazy1    89

I forgot that you were getting 2 p5 boards from your dealer as part of your deal.

Make your noobs ride the p5 x, and then get a nicer doomswell for yourself/advanced crew..

There is absolutely no reason to have a hybrid board as well as a surf style board for your beginner riders. They're not going to be able to tell the difference and by the time they are able to, they should have their own board.

1. p5 model x as a beginner hybrid board. Use this board for people who are first learning to surf, as well as yourself

2. p5 grom board for your kids/wife/smaller people

3. doomswell spark in 4'8" (larger of the two sizes since you're 200#) as your intermediate/advance board.

easy.

Edited by Cwazy1

49faith    4

I was piggybacking off of the info and conversation here and decided to get a 54" Doomswell Neo myself. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

MFaso    56

ok, makes sense. I was thinking the model X would be harder for a noob to learn on as it's more like a skim style than full surf but now that I'm thinking about it, the lighter people who try that board will have no problem at all. My heavy buddies will struggle more sinking boards until they get the hand of it. Not my problem! :)

So bypass the gnarwal for the doom, huh? man I love that look on the gnarwal...lol

Cwazy1    89

Agree, smaller people almost always have an easier time with skim boards for the reasons that:

1. they're easier to kick up as a lighter person because the board is lighter and thinner

2. they usually have a sharper rail making it easier to dig into the water for getting up

You are also correct that in general skim boards are harder to ride for beginner riders. This is because of the traditional one fin setup for a true skim style. The phase 5 is a hybrid and not a true skim. It can accommodate 3 fins and also has a wider tail than nose. My recommendation would be to run a single fin for yourself when you want to ride skim, and then slap on the additional 2 for a thruster setup when you have beginners learning on the board. If you find that you don't like the single fin and want more bite, run it as a twin for you, and add the additional fin for beginners.

Then run your Doomswell as a twin, 2+2 with nubs, or as a quad. This will all depend on how you ride and what maneuvers you're hoping to learn.

Cwazy1    89

The neo would be the one in the doomswell lineup I'd buy!

I was piggybacking off of the info and conversation here and decided to get a 54" Doomswell Neo myself. Thanks for the help!

Cdifranco    463

Make sure to tell em I sent you! and congrats you will absolutly love it!

49faith    4

The neo would be the one in the doomswell lineup I'd buy!

Thanks! I already bought it, but it's all good. Can't wait to get it on the water. I love the community here. I'm grateful for the content and I'm just trying to soak up all this knowledge.

MFaso    56

Chris! I spoke to Brock tonight on my drive home. Gave him your name! :)

He was real cool. He gave me a solid 15 minutes of talking about the company and the boards as well as the blemish boards. He recommended the Neo for me as well. The sparkplug is their beginner wake surfer, which is what I am but since I've been doing board sports the Neo would be better for me long term. I'll probably play with the phase 5 x for a bit then try the Neo. I'm probably going to pick up the Neo soon but I want to talk to my dealer first about it. He has been helping me out.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

h20king    794

Not sure why anyone would spend that sort of cash for a doomswell. You can get a soulcraft for about the same money and they are better built. Jeff has been shaping and building board's for a couple decades. When it comes to custom boards I would only buy soulcraft or chaos in that order.JMTC

Cdifranco    463

You boys are going to be stoked... hope your lakes are thawed out already!

Edited by Cdifranco

I forgot that you were getting 2 p5 boards from your dealer as part of your deal.

Make your noobs ride the p5 x, and then get a nicer doomswell for yourself/advanced crew..

There is absolutely no reason to have a hybrid board as well as a surf style board for your beginner riders. They're not going to be able to tell the difference and by the time they are able to, they should have their own board.

1. p5 model x as a beginner hybrid board. Use this board for people who are first learning to surf, as well as yourself

2. p5 grom board for your kids/wife/smaller people

3. doomswell spark in 4'8" (larger of the two sizes since you're 200#) as your intermediate/advance board.

easy.

Mike, I agree with this^ Anyone can ride that model X, especially with three fins on it. Then drop 2 fins and it's a great board to start advancing on and spinning 3's, etc. That's the beauty of it. I'm also thinking the scamp for your kids/wife. Your wife could always ride the model X if she feels the scamp is too small. My girlfriend is about the same size and can ride both the scamp and model X. As for doomswell, I've never ridden one but I check them out every year at surf expo. They are sweet boards and the owner is a real nice guy.

MFaso    56

Mike, I agree with this^ Anyone can ride that model X, especially with three fins on it. Then drop 2 fins and it's a great board to start advancing on and spinning 3's, etc. That's the beauty of it. I'm also thinking the scamp for your kids/wife. Your wife could always ride the model X if she feels the scamp is too small. My girlfriend is about the same size and can ride both the scamp and model X. As for doomswell, I've never ridden one but I check them out every year at surf expo. They are sweet boards and the owner is a real nice guy.

Thanks Matt! Appreciate it! Getting knee deep into the sport and the boat is still in your lot! ;)

MFaso    56

Not sure why anyone would spend that sort of cash for a doomswell. You can get a soulcraft for about the same money and they are better built. Jeff has been shaping and building board's for a couple decades. When it comes to custom boards I would only buy soulcraft or chaos in that order.JMTC

Isn't a SC 1k+? 1200+ maybe?(I don't know much about the bottom end price and high end price)

h20king    794

Isn't a SC 1k+? 1200+ maybe?(I don't know much about the bottom end price and high end price)

yes with custom graphics but you can pick up off the shelf boards from dealers for half of that. I have soulcraft boards that are 8 years old and still look new. Soulcraft craftsmanship is above and beyond.

MFaso    56

yes with custom graphics but you can pick up off the shelf boards from dealers for half of that. I have soulcraft boards that are 8 years old and still look new. Soulcraft craftsmanship is above and beyond.

What I'm saying is the doomswell boards are 650 or so. They aren't the same price. :)