MFaso

About to buy a 2017 S238...I have some questions

MFaso    56

Thanks Avalentines! That makes me feel really good! Since the dealer is on my side in helping and does this for all who he sells to, I should hopefully cut that time in trial and error down.

As for the 80k...It's actually 83k with my options, which is quite a bit. "Some" of the options I excluded were upgrading the trailer and the seadek flooring IN the boat. I have kids so the standard snap in rug that doesn't hold water AND can be shaken out and cleaned is best for me personally. The seadek can get dirty easy and then it's hard to clean without ruining the surface. Just not for me at this point in my life and I'm happy saving that money too! I have the FULLY upgraded ballast package. It's 6 tanks.(3 are hard tanks) The 83k is before the dealer works with you as well. On top of that Supreme has a promotion right now(check their website) that they kick 3500 off the price if you order before January 1st. They also throw in like another 1k in gear. I'll be getting 1-2 boards for free as well.

It's a pretty sweet deal but you HAVE to put the order in before the 1st of the year!(I'm trying to seal the deal) With that said, the boat will come to around 75k, I think. I'm still working on it. Getting to 70k or under 70s on the S238 is probably impossible. I just can't see it.

I'll keep updating. I can't thank you guys enough! Thanks again!

Mike

Edited by MFaso

Hi All,

Brand new to the forum. I'm about to buy a 2017 S238. It's my first surf boat. My family is myself, my wife, and 2 young kids. We are coming off another boat and just trying to figure out if I'm making the right choice.

We love the boat(but haven't been on the water in it). It's cold here now and boating season is over...

My dealer is telling me the S238 wave is awesome and it needs NOTHING extra. He is saying inexperienced people are why I'm reading that I'll need to add to the boat. In my mind, if I need to add anything, it's not a surf boat. Why build a boat that makes a wake that you can't surf and call it a surf boat? Is my thinking wrong? My current boat makes a wake but I can't surf it...what's the difference?

I've actually heard that Race city marina(who I do see posting here) has said that the S238 wave was just as good as the G23(150k boat?) wave...I hope Race city can come confirm or deny this was said and maybe even let us know if it's actually true. I'm not talking bells and whistles. I'm talking surfable out of the box or not with my family in the boat. NOT 10 people. Plain and simple.

Can I please hear from some owners and dealers who can honestly tell me the stock boat is going to surf fine before I spend a lot of money on a boat for surfing?

Any help is appreciated. I am having a really hard time between listening to the dealer and reading everything on the internet.

Thank you!

Mike

Not sure who you were talking to at RCM, but the s238 wake will not compare to a G23 out of the box. The s238 with extra ballast will though.

The G23 is about the best surfable wave right out of the box. I'll let you know that most of the 100K+ boats are barely surfable right out of the box. Be it legal issues or whatever, I don't know. However if you spend 75K+ on a boat, I'd suggest spending the extra 1K to transform it from mediocre to absolutely amazing. Yes, you can surf behind the S238 stock if you dial it in correctly (which most people take little time to do) but it ain't gonna be the bee's knees. Throw in some extra weight (which is easily plumbed and hidden below the seats) and you suddenly have surf wave that will throw the 150K mastercraft owner next door into a depression worse than a guy who just bought and I/O and now wants to surf.

• Like 3

Cwazy1    89

Oh man, don't even get started on the mastercraft waves :facepalm:

• Like 1

gwiz    23

I ordered my '16 238 with almost all options including metal flake, custom ballast minus the upgraded engine which isn't needed unless maybe you are at some kind of elevation. You can surf with stock ballast listed, with quick surf it's pretty terrible. Just upgrade it or bring bags or lead and don't have any bad days on the water. And my 238 was under 70k. You need to check around and deal a little bit

• Like 1

MFaso    56

I upgraded the engine because it was a $750 option. At that price, it's worth every penny. Resale value in the future will be more with a bigger engine. It's just a no brainer at only $750.

When you say upgraded ballast, how many tanks do you have? I also got the lighting package which includes docking lights, under water light and onboard charger, which I need. We have long winters so the plug in charger is helpful to me. The docking lights as well because we are coming in later and later as m kids get older. When it gets dark, we can't see much coming into the marina. I can't see it being under 70k for the 2017. The price is a bit more because of the upgrades from 2016 which include the touchscreen. I didn't really skimp out. Like I said, I'm at about 75k at this point and I still need to talk to the dealer some more.

I'll add weight eventually but I shouldn't HAVE to. It's my first surf boat and I'm sure it will be very surfable out of the box. The one who said the G23 was equal to the S238 was the owner of RCM. He had some video of his daughters surfing the s238 or something. Talk to him. I also called and spoke to RCM and the guy I spoke to said he surfed the s238 a bunch of times STOCK...

• Like 1

gwiz    23

The 6.0 is an obvious for 2017 to get for only 750. Last year it wasn't an option but with the new transmission it's crazy how much power the ex3 has. I also got docking, underwater lights. Yes I believe they went up 3% this year in price. By custom ballast I had the wakemakers package installed at the dealer which I've had great luck with. I believe it's just under 1000 pounds combined on the rear and side port and starboard lockers it's noticeably different as I surfed it with the stock bags when I demoed it. Also I add more weight in different spots in the boat and my wave is pretty incredible.

MFaso    56

Awesome to hear man. Yea, I don't know total weight but that is what it's called. It's basically 6 tanks instead of 3 or 4. It's a surf boat so no Brainer adding those to the boat imo.

I can't wait for summer!(so far from now... Lol) Can't wait to share how this thing works for me and get more feedback from you guys. This forum is like a little family with the same interests.(family doesn't usually share the same interests! Haha)

Mike

our 16 model we bought for 68 it doesnt have the under water lights but does have the 3 hard tanks and 3 bags surf tabs snap in carpet ect (nothing over the top but all the nice options). does also have some metallic flake too.

Cwazy1    89

I think discussing the final sale prices is irrelevant unless we know the original MSRP taking the options all into consideration. Also whether the numbers people are quoting are including tax or not.

I think discussing the final sale prices is irrelevant unless we know the original MSRP taking the options all into consideration. Also whether the numbers people are quoting are including tax or not.

Yup...and whether it came with a trailer. And also taxes vary widely all over the place.

The 6.0 is an obvious for 2017 to get for only 750. Last year it wasn't an option but with the new transmission it's crazy how much power the ex3 has. I also got docking, underwater lights. Yes I believe they went up 3% this year in price. By custom ballast I had the wakemakers package installed at the dealer which I've had great luck with. I believe it's just under 1000 pounds combined on the rear and side port and starboard lockers it's noticeably different as I surfed it with the stock bags when I demoed it. Also I add more weight in different spots in the boat and my wave is pretty incredible.

They went up because of the computer and now zero off gps is standard. Plus general price increase because they are in demand. The trailer is a little less, but supposedly is better. Also the 409 is so much cheaper than the H5 was, I'm paying about the same for this years boat.

gwiz    23

Sorry I got the boat mate trailer, rear steps, add on spare tire, plus mount, no custom wheels. 5% sales tax and still right at around 70k. Sorry for the miscommunication.

gwiz    23

Sorry I got the boat mate trailer, rear steps, add on spare tire, plus mount, no custom wheels. 5% sales tax and still right at around 70k. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Nick213    583

An Extreme trailer is better than Boatmate?

Said no one here yet.... Edited by Nick213
  • Like 1

Cwazy1    89

Truth.

Although I do like the design of the wheels on the xtreme.

Boatmate is just bling'd out.

Said no one here yet....

An Extreme trailer is better than Boatmate?

Our cent/supreme rep was saying today that the steel is thicker gauge, axles are more heavy duty and bunks fit better. Plus it tows better. He's put like 5K miles on it or something crazy. I def believe it will tow better as the axles are positioned further back and the tongue is shorter. Both will reduce sway and bottoming out. Plus my boatmate bunks don't completely touch the bottom of my boat, so I'm going to believe him on the better fit. Plus my boatmate paint job ain't all that. Oh, and I'm not even sure why they bother putting the rollers on the back...there is a metal piece at the front of the prop guard that hits the road before the rollers will, seems odd.

Boatmate has the name recognition and change is tough for people, so I'll reserve judgement until I see an Extreme in person, but I'm biased toward the Extreme right now. Plus it's cheaper. (Based on testimonials, personal experience and design analysis).

All that being said, it's a dang trailer and both are made with most of the same parts from the same manufacturers. So really I don't care. I cram my 238 under a 7 foot door so which ever trailer gets me lower is the one I will own. lol

Edited by Race City Marine

MFaso    56

Not sure on the trailer brand. Whatever the standard is. I tow it twice per year. Once to drive it to the lake and then once at the end of the season to pick it up. I don't plan on taking it anywhere else. We live on the same lake all year. It's about $500 for winter storage here so the trailer pays itself off in my opinion.

Like I said, I have a decent amount of options.(mostly all) The 3 heat ports was something my wife wanted so that's on there. Have to please the wife or she doesn't go with the "new boat for next summer" plan. You married guys out there will understand that one. ;) ...and yes, there are MORE standard options now that were optional last year. GPS speed control is one of those. There were a few others on top of the touch screen upgrade. Makes sense. Prices will always go up. When they go DOWN and supreme stops making parts and boats, then we need to worry. I don't see that happening however. They seem to be doing well right now!

Going to meet with the dealer tomorrow and nail this down. I'll have a final price tomorrow.

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

Great News MFaso......BTW.....if you feel this site and information has been helpful to you in your decision process you should consider becoming a Supporting Member. Best $30 you will ever spend on your boat I assure you of that!

Edited by Bongo Fury
  • Like 1

MFaso    56

Super new to this forum. What does paying get me? I don't mean to sound shallow with that question. Just wondering. I actually thought this was run by Cent/supreme themselves. Didn't really look into who was keeping it going. Found you all through regular google searches while on my 2 hour commute home from NYC.(yes, 2 hours each way! lol)

Mike