tiffany

Ballast leaking or draining

tiffany    22

We have a 2016 s238 and have been riding all summer with no issues & all of a sudden the rear ballast bags have started to drain while we are surfing. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Nolance    18

I had to replace all three of my green impellers in the ballast pumps. They were all damaged and unable to hold any water. If you accidentally ran your pumps dry, then chances are that you will need to replace the impellers.

• Like 1

tiffany    22
I had to replace all three of my green impellers in the ballast pumps. They were all damaged and unable to hold any water. If you accidentally ran your pumps dry, then chances are that you will need to replace the impellers.

Thanks we are sending it in today. It's brand new so hopefully it's covered under warranty. We don't run the pumps "dry"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking    491

I'd pick up a spare or 2 just in case. You don't want to ruin a good weekend by not having them in case you need one!

• Like 1

Nolance    18

I agree. We had ours in to the dealer for the same problem and they found the impellers were shot. Ordered 3 from Wakemakers and replaced myself…didnt want to wait until it was fixed. Took me about 30 minutes to replace all 3.

• Like 1

tiffany    22
I agree. We had ours in to the dealer for the same problem and they found the impellers were shot. Ordered 3 from Wakemakers and replaced myself…didnt want to wait until it was fixed. Took me about 30 minutes to replace all 3.

Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since these boats don't spray over the side, it's near impossible to not run them dry for awhile. I plan to carry a few spares.

• Like 1

Cdifranco    463

lol if they're not running dry you never really emptied the ballast in my opinion. Mine run dry for maybe 15 seconds and shut off once empty based on how my timers are set. Over the course of a summer I use the boat 4 days a week and fill and drain maybe 3 times a day. Do the math, they definitely do run dry. And keeping spares is the cheapest safety you can have, to replace them you need literally 1 tool and some very very basic know how, there are also very good tutorials on how to swap these impellers on the googlemachine.

• Like 2

lol if they're not running dry you never really emptied the ballast in my opinion. Mine run dry for maybe 15 seconds and shut off once empty based on how my timers are set. Over the course of a summer I use the boat 4 days a week and fill and drain maybe 3 times a day. Do the math, they definitely do run dry. And keeping spares is the cheapest safety you can have, to replace them you need literally 1 tool and some very very basic know how, there are also very good tutorials on how to swap these impellers on the googlemachine.

Street level experience. I like it. I'm about to set mine up as reversible. No timers. I guess I could wire some in. What I'm curious about is, are there certain impellers better than others? Color, and is there. Grease or spray that helps em live longer?

Cdifranco    463

Street level experience. I like it. I'm about to set mine up as reversible. No timers. I guess I could wire some in. What I'm curious about is, are there certain impellers better than others? Color, and is there. Grease or spray that helps em live longer?

Depends what pumps you have. For me, its these. https://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-ballast-puppy-green-neoprene-impeller.html

I keep 2 new ones on board plus whatever old ones that arn't beat up as spares. In reality I don't need to run mine dry at all my timers are dialed in almost to perfection, but where I live I over compensate because I cannot have any water weight getting back to my dock or I'll be throwing out a propeller too! So for the piece mind 24$ is cheaper than a new prop.

I bought a kit last year that came with grease. Never used it. They seal with an O-ring.

Edited by Cdifranco

viking    491

^ same here! ^

And once the tone changes on the pump you know they aren't pumping water anymore.

Almost no way to not run them dry so over time the impellers are going to wear out anyhow. Cheap insurance for a part you are eventually going to replace.

Cdifranco    463

And just for the info. I love wakemakers, but I bought mine off Amazon for a little cheaper and got free two day shipping. I did not want to wait a week to be able to fill my ballast again.

• Like 1

I have jabsco ballast puppy's. I've been told I can reverse then I just haven't had time to do it correctly. I'm going to double check and have a couple for back up. Thanks

• Like 1